PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats safest pick at 7 is Brandon Albert (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Albert: Best G Prospect since Hannah

I rewatched the Virginia-Texas Tech game to get another look at Chris Long but instead of fast forwarding through the Virginia offense, I focused on Albert. What a pleasure.

He's 6'5 3/4" and 315 lbs but he is very graceful. He excels in every phase of the game. If he has to block a man on the LOS he moves him. If he has to pull, he anniahilates his opponent. He stuffs the pass rush at the LOS. He can hit one guy and swiftly turn and stop another. He gets off the ball well and he plays to the whistle. He had no penalties. He seems very alert. If he was beaten on even one play, I must have missed it.

The first guard I can remember loving was Ohio State's all-everything Jim Parker. The best college guard I ever saw was John Hannah from Alabama. I thought Steve Hutchinson from Michigan was a great prospect. However, those guys were mostly run blockers. Albert excels at what is now the pro game and can do both.

I don't know where he falls into the draft. Some teams are projecting him as a tackle and moving him into the top ten. I am sure he would be an all-Pro guard. I don't know any reason he couldn't become a tackle but I have never seen him against a quality DE so I wouldn't even try to guess. I would guess he won't get by New England.

Re: Pats safest pick at 7 is Brandon Albert

and so would jake Long

Agreed
Joe Thomas was last years OL prize,There are no real standouts this year

If Joe was around at #7 this year it would have been a no brainer....

I like Brandon Albert but he only played 2 games at LT last season even though he played well that just isn't for him to protecting our frachise, Tom Brady, blind side.

My Sleeper pick- Branden Albert, G, Virginia

Everyone is talking CB/LB but we all know BB seems to favor the lines on both sides of the ball and I agree.
I don't really see anyone that stands out to grab at #7. Every year there seems to be 3/4 great LB's but not this year.
We lost the SB because we couldn't block the Giants and protect Brady. Neal is ok but getting older and i believe had a knee injury last year.

Branden would upgrade the OL imo. We can grab a CB in the 2nd round and a LB later.

Re: My Sleeper pick- Branden Albert, G, Virginia

I'm not quite sure he qualifies as a sleeper pick, does he?

Don't most scouts look at him as a sure fire quality starting OL? Possibly the best guard in the draft?

And if the Patriots are picking at #7 and have a choice between "potential" and "sure thing" - doesn't Belichick usually take the sure thing?

One can't afford to waste a #7 pick and a #7 salary on someone who doesn't pan out.

I'm not quite sure he qualifies as a sleeper pick, does he?
About 2 months ago he did. Now he would be a surprise but hardly a shock.

"I'm not quite sure he qualifies as a sleeper pick, does he?"

What i mean is that; we ALL want a LB but there really isn't much worth a #7 pick except for Gholston who may go before we pick.

Speaking just for myself, I'm fine at RG with Neal/Kaczur. I'm much more uncomfortable at right tackle. If Albert looked like a likely day-one starter at RT I'd be more interested, but most of what I've read makes it sound like guard is his natural position.
I agree with you, the right side of the line is average at best. That's not acceptable when the franchise rises or falls with Tom Brady's play.

One of the reasons Brandon Albert is rising up the first round is a growing realization that he's versatile enough to play tackle. He may not be as quick as Mankins, but he has the body frame to play tackle, which I don't think Mankins does in the NFL.

Here's a prediction: the two Virginia Cavaliers get selected before the two USC Trojans. (C. Long / B. Albert // S.Ellis/ K.Rivers)

Don't forget how much better the lines are going to be in Jetland and for the Phins this year. We have to improve what was a weakness not exposed until the SB.

What a difference a month makes. Was Albert even a first round projection last month? I do see the use in a guard in the draft especially if he is anywhere near the talent of Hutchinson. However at the 7th slot I just don't like it. I'm sure we could trade to the 13,14,15 range and still the grab the kid.

If some of the draft pundits vision come to fruition and this guy turns out to be a stud there isn't a defense that is going to be able to stop this team. The Pat's could pound the ball the whole 4th quarter if they had a lead. Brady would get the protection he needed with added depth to the position. This would of been nice in the Super Bowl.

He's a good pick imo. Just not@7.

One can't afford to waste a #7 pick and a #7 salary on someone who doesn't pan out.

If there's one team that CAN afford to it's the Pats. Of course we all hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not sure why we have to think "safe" here? I mean we traded a mid 1st last year & ended up with a top 10 pick this year. We essentially took a slight risk & hit it big with SF flopping. Prospects who's stock that skyrockets weeks before the draft usually scare me. Dewayne Robertson anyone?
6340.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back