Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats safest pick at 7 is Brandon Albert (merged)

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by jeffbiologist, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The more I see the draft developing the more I see the pats looking for a SOLID,VERSITILE lineman that can eventually play LT. He plays against C.Long in practice and gives him fits. The phins get their superman(C.Long)and we pick up some kryptonite! Gholston will have to learn a new position. Its too high to pick a CB. We dont know how badly Neal is hurt. Hochstien DEFINATELY needs replacing. He can likely be had if we can swap back a few spots(11-15), but if we are STUCK with 7 I think you take the surest bet. Of all the OL guys he definately looks like he is in the best shape. Would of started at LT as a freshman but DBrick was there! I think a very realistic pick for the PATS.
    OK, what do you think?
  2. Chewy

Chewy Fat Guy In A Little Coat

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Pats safest pick at 7 is Brandon Albert

Nice player, but there are about at least a dozen other players I'd draft ahead of him.
  3. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Why should the Jets be the only team in the division with an outrageously overpriced guard.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Albert is interesting but not overly safe. The only way he's worth #7 overall is as a Tackle and while he has the athletic ability to play that position, he's obviously not safe with that move. As a Guard he's pretty good but not #7 good, he's no Steve Hutchinson, he's not as physical or tough as Logan Mankins. Albert has upside but I don't associate him with a safe pick.
  5. NePatriots

NePatriots PatsFans.com Draftnik PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Albert is great at his position, but Ray Guy wasn't drafted in the top 10 either.
  6. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Remember, I said SAFEST, not best. There hasnt been a scout that would say he couldnt play T, and as a flexible player with LT potential he would be a safer pick than Clady, Harvey, DRC or some of the other threads we have all read. SAFER I think.
  7. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Stay off the goofballs and za za juice.
  8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

I'd rather draft Eugene Chung... *rolls eyes* Albert at #20 after a significant trade down, I could see. At #7, NO.

9. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont think you need a big trade down to warrant his selection. If you could move down 3 or 4 picks for say a teams 2nd rounder in the mid forties, I would do it. I 'll agree not at seven but if you can get that high second rounder youre lookin at being in the hunt for a cb at the top of round 2 . IMO not one cb in particular has a distinguishing characteristic it's sort beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we don't want to wait till the end of rnd 2 to get one of the top corners cuz they wont be there.....
  10. Handel

Handel Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't want an OL in first round.
  11. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

Why not just get the best CB or LB at #10 or even #13 then? There will be good OL prospects in round 2 as well. What makes you think Albert is worth the #10 overall pick? I just don't see the value in selecting a Guard that early. You can find good guards in round 2 and round 3.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  12. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Light me on fire if we draft a guard prospect with the highest draft pick we've had in years. Sorry but a G/T position changer after we had one of the best lines in the league until the SB is just not my cup of tea. With that said, after as many times as I've been wrong about our drafting, it wouldn't surprise me, but it would disappoint me severely.
  13. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Is "safe" the only criterion you use to select your first top-10 draft pick since Richard Seymour?
  14. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I agree with each of the last two posts. If we're talking about someone who could be a top left tackle, that's one thing. But drafting a RG there I don't get.
  15. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know about value. 3 lemons for a buck. This draft is loaded with corners and quite frankly we don't take linebackers that high. The one thing that sticks with me is the huge hole between our picks. That's were the strength of this draft appears to be from 15 to 50, I think if they fill that hole at the top of the 2nd round we are looking at adding 3 good players in the first two rounds. You know if only two of those three work out and are solid contributors that's a good draft for this team. They don't have a ton of holes. Last year they just deffered on draft day and it worked out through free agency. This year I think the draft is a bigger part of the 08 plan, but I don't think they feel they are one top ten pick away, more like a mankins, branch and wilson away.
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

If Long drops to #7 he is absolutely the safest pick ... however if he drops to #7 we could get alot to trade down for that. I think the safest ... not the best pick at #7 is the LB Rivers ... we'll soon see.
  17. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you know if we take either of those guys from USC in the first, Rivers or Ellis, I would be satisfied because we all know they must be even better than they appear to be w/ rah rah Pete Carroll coaching down each week.......:D
  18. Crazyeechrispats1

Crazyeechrispats1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Watching a few of his plays diagnosed by Mayock on NFL network was intriguing.
    The guy looked like a beast said he played till the whistle, always fighting I loved hearing that.
    I saw one play where he went down field about 25 yds and pancaked a safety to clear the way for a touchdown.
    A few things to consider one, with all the teams who will definitely make more of a attempt to come after Brady I'd love to have 2 pro bowl tackles protecting him I know I know but they call Light a pro bowler.
    I agree this is to high to take a guard, but if he can become a right tackle from day one might be worth the risk.
    3. There claiming he won't make it out the top 10, so whoever said trading down to like 20 and picking him not happening.
    These are my hopes if we stay at 7, Picks I will completely not rip my hair out over, Mckelvin, Gholston, Rivers, Dorsey, Long, Long, anything else i want a trade down for some value.
  19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

It is not safe to draft a player at #7 who should be drafted at #23. That't not safe, that's stupid.

Hwever, I disagree with some of the arguments. We once took a G early in the draft. Hannah worked out fine. We would draft a RT at #7 in a heartbeat, if his name were Jake Long. The question about Albert is how good he is and how well he could play RT. That is the same question I have about Clady. Clady has a huge advantage. He is a LT. If I wanted an OL, would Albert be my number 1, or would my number one be Clady or Otoh? Are any of them worth OUR #7 pick. If we really need a stud OL, the answer might be yes. I'm not sure that Belichick sees the critical need. We have a once in a decade shot at a top 10 pick. We need to get a stud. There is no safe pick. My guess at the safest picks would be anyone named Long, Dorsey and Ellis.
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

The question is, if Long, Long, Dorey, Ellis, Gholston are all gone then who ? Trading down sounds good but what if there's no offers ?

McKelvin ?
    Clady ?
    Rivers ?

You can make an argument for them all but you can make one for Albert too as he has versatility, upside (most think he can play Tackle) and, yes, safety given that, worst case, you're overdrafting a quality player. It may be stupid to overdraft him at Guard but there's worse things you can do than get a quality player. But there's also upside beyond Guard.
  21. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agreed
    Joe Thomas was last years OL prize,There are no real standouts this year

If Joe was around at #7 this year it would have been a no brainer....
  22. DocE

DocE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think it's an interesting argument that Albert is the "safest" pick at no.7. On one hand, Albert is anything but a safe pick as you simply do not take an offensive guard with the 7th pick in the draft. In order to justify his contract, he will have to be not just good at his position, but among the elite at it. Projecting a college guard to OT and drafting him at no.7? Hardly a "safe" move in my mind. I realize many scouts believe he could play LT, but he didn't stand out at the position the 2 games he played there in college. I question why he never made the permanent move to LT (the most important position on the line) in college if he has the ability to play there in the pros.

On the other hand, the most important thing to do in the first round is get a guy who will be a good football player and not bust out. Albert may or may not work out at LT, but he should be a solid guard in a worst case scenario. He'd be a vastly overpaid solid guard, but atleast he would be starting and contributing to the team. If you look at simply "bust potential" (ie Mike Williams), Albert probably is the safest guy available at no.7.

Good debate topic, I could really go either way on the issue.
  23. CoachK

CoachK Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not sold on Golshton. Hopefully BB thinks Rivers is worth the #7 (but I boubt it).

I would take Albert over Clady, and IMHO he is a much "safer" pick than any of the CBs.

Ideally we can trade out to the 10-14 range and then get value at LB or CB.
  24. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ive reached the speculation PEAK at this point, and Im basically penciling in Albert as our guy. Some would agree, some disagree. But realistically, we just cant expect Chris Long or Gholston to be there at 7. Id love to see our coaching staff mold one of those guys into the our next McGinest or Vrabel. Of course, Jake Long and McFadden will be gone by 7. Not that McFadden would be a consideration anyway. Though the thought is a little interesting.

But after the Pats chose Mankins in the 1st back in '05, when LM was considered to be no better than a mid 2nd-3rd rounder, we know anything is possible. But who really thinks that Steve Neal is going to hold up another season? Knee and shoulder injuries looming? And who really wants to see Russ Hochstein blocking the other team's biggest and strongest players on a regular basis? Not me. And who likes the idea of Brady seeing more of that inside pressure on a regular basis with backup quality O guard play protecting him? Not me. Albert is a young guy with a huge future in the NFL. He could be the next Randall McDaniel or Wil Shields. He could probably eventually play any position on the line. The guy has played 37 games for his university in his 3 years, and STARTED every single one of them. The guy is a NATURALLY ENORMOUS BEAST who can pull!

We'll get those key defensive players with our 2nd rounder and two 3rd rounders. And we'll probably love those guys in time, even though we'll probably be scratching our heads somewhat in some way. Always happens.
    But Albert is our guy! He's a young stud and he'll protect Brady for the remainder of his career. Sign me up!!
  25. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm not getting the love for Albert who is a guard and played 2 games a OT.

Maybe he is the real deal. But at #7, I would go with Rivers, Gholston, or even McKelvin before him.

I know that there has been some talk lately that Gholston may be overrated and he very well can be.

But what does overrated mean. Does it mean that he won't be an elete All Pro player? But it could mean that he is just a kid who will become a very solid starter at OLB. Or, does it mean he will be a complete bust. I would still trade up to #5 for him and if the Patriots should do that, then I will trust their judgement.

If he is there at #7 and the Patriots pass on him, I will trust their judgement .
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  26. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He just sounds like an 'anchor'. An Oline version of Ty Warren. Warren was taken 13th overall if Im not mistaken. Many people wouldnt think he'd be worth that high of a selection. But the man is steady, he's a BIG, and he gets the job done. You just cant have enough stud BIGs, imo. We can find a Rivers type backer in the 2nd or 3rd. We can find a solid zone corner in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Im really warming up to a guy who's young, HUGE, never missed a start in 3 years against talented competition in a conference putting alot of ends and tackles in the NFL recently, and who's job will be to keep Brady safe.

All teams have needs. Corners are 'needs'. Young LBs are 'needs'. Quality players who can keep our franchise HOFer upright is more of a priority than a 'need', imo. I really have very little faith in our two options at RG entering next season.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  27. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I don't get it either. For ANY team to spend a top-10 pick on an OG, they'd have to be convinced he's not just good, but truly special. For THIS team -- returning the entire OL from the most prolific offense in NFL history -- to use THIS pick -- the highest they've seen in years -- well. I'd be astonished if they're even considering it.

I wonder whether the sudden love for Albert is partly a function of draft fatigue after looking at the same handful of players at #7 for weeks.
  28. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Interesting point. I for one can say I am sick of the top end of the draft at this point, so maybe the draft pundits and such are as well.

With Albert, a couple months ago, he showed up on everyone's radar as a guy who could sneak into the first round, and seemed to be a good fit for the Pats b/c of his athleticism. But taking him at 7? That's a huuuuge leap.
  29. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is everyone not aware of how much O Guards are making in the NFL as of late? Specifically, the past 2 or 3 years since Hutchinson set the bar in moving to MN a couple of years ago. NFL front office guys are waking up to the importance of these big lugs, finally. Theyre making in the 7-8mil/year range now. How much do we expect to pay Mankins when his deal is up in another year? He's gonna expect just as much as someone like Alan Faneca, if not more because he'll be so much younger.

O Guards, especially those few that are protecting QBs like Brady I would think, have become much more coveted in the NFL. And imo, if we have a chance to lock a young stud up to a 5/6 year deal after all of the other 5 or so most talented players on the draft board disappear, then we may as well go ahead and do it.

The brass really doesnt have a history of signing LBs early. Not a single one of our guys was an early pick. Nor do they have much of a history of signing corners early. Gotta go back quite a ways to Ty Law's draft class to find a corner taken in the 1st, and that wasnt a Belichick/Pioli choice I dont believe. 3rd and 4th rounders like Hobbs and Samuel, and FAs like Gay, and Troy Brown of all people, have been able to hold it down with pretty decent success. I expect they'll find 1 or 2 young CBs in the 2nd or 3rd and work them into the mix nicely.

Our recent history of 1st rounders points to us taking a BIG for the trenches. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Mankins. Light went at the top of the 2nd with his draft class. I expect the trend will continue.

Just look at the 'talent' we have currently at right guard. Imo, it's the weakest position on the team. Russ Hochstein is a nice, able bodied role player that gives us some versatility and depth. He's 31 this year. Steve Neal will soon turn 32, and the past 2 years he's missed 3 and 8 games, respectively. And now he's coming off chronic shoulder problems as well as a knee injury. How long will he last? That Oline, obviously an area of strength most of the year, could quickly turn into a liability if Neal continues to miss time and we're forced to lean on basically a back-up player. Put a STUD in that spot and call it a day. Make Neal the backup he probably should be at this point in his career. Keep Hochstein on board for depth. Take a strength and make it even stronger! But again, body guards for Brady. They just cant be studly enough, imo. Tom would probably agree.

I think Albert's stock has risen because he's a younger player (JR.) that likely received ZERO attention prior to the combine because of his class. And now teams have had a better opportunity to break down his film. They must like what they see.
  30. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chris Long refers to him as the best player on his team including himself. When asked what it was like to be considered the top prospect for the draft His quote on sirius nfl was roughly, "anyone who watched cavalier football knows that I was'nt even the best player on my team, it's Brandon Albert, that guys just a beast.":eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.