PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Porter, sign safety Herana-Daze Jones [Update: Porter waived/injured]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats release Porter, sign safety Herana-Daze Jones

True...but he also could stay on IR.....

And be stashed away to learn the game...

Didn't someone, somewhere, mention IR Pats doing some practicing a few years back ?

Re: Pats release Porter, sign safety Herana-Daze Jones [Update: Porter waived/injured

Due in no small part to the rule change for the wedge I'd guess....
Interesting.

Anyone mind explaining this rule change? I'm guessing its much less interesting than my post seems to indicate it might be... :D

Re: Pats release Porter, sign safety Herana-Daze Jones [Update: Porter waived/injured

Interesting.

Anyone mind explaining this rule change? I'm guessing its much less interesting than my post seems to indicate it might be... :D

Teams used to use a 3-man wedge on most kickoffs. The NFL passed a rule this year saying wedges can only be two men and, if there are multiple, more than X yards apart.

HERANA-DAZE JONES. Who?

Per RealPatriots twitter page...

Hagen-Daze Jones

haagen_dazs_html.jpg

Last edited:

True...but he also could stay on IR.....

He could go on Reserve/NFI too.

??? :confused:

If we were going to do that, he would have been put on IR right straightaway, not waived, right?

By waiving him injured and having no one claim him, we are on the hook for his IR $$$ but we don't own his rights, I don't think.

??? :confused:

If we were going to do that, he would have been put on IR right straightaway, not waived, right?

By waiving him injured and having no one claim him, we are on the hook for his IR $$$ but we don't own his rights, I don't think.

Waived/injured is the process by which non-vested veterans go on IR before the final cutdown. If the Pats were to place Porter directly on IR, he would still count against the roster limit.

It appears Porter received an injury settlement and was released.

It appears Porter received an injury settlement and was released.
Can the same team re-sign him to the Practice Squad later in the season, or do they have to wait for the offseason?

Can the same team re-sign him to the Practice Squad later in the season, or do they have to wait for the offseason?

Nope, he's as free as you or I.

Teams used to use a 3-man wedge on most kickoffs. The NFL passed a rule this year saying wedges can only be two men and, if there are multiple, more than X yards apart.

I don't understand why did the league felt the need to change the wedge rules. As long as nobody is blocking from behind or below the knees, who cares how many blockers form a wedge? It's not like there was this groundswell of sentiment for change either, except from inside the busy-body Competition Committee.

Isn't the deal that the same team which released him must wait a specific # of weeks, maybe 6, whereas any other team can sign him immediately?

I don't understand why did the league felt the need to change the wedge rules. As long as nobody is blocking from behind or below the knees, who cares how many blockers form a wedge? It's not like there was this groundswell of sentiment for change either, except from inside the busy-body Competition Committee.
Allegedly the wedge is getting blamed for injuries... :confused2:

Last edited:

Isn't the deal that the same team which released him must wait a specific # of weeks, maybe 6, whereas any other team can sign him immediately?
Don't know the rules, which is why I asked pats1.

Don't know the rules, which is why I asked pats1.

Yeah, I've heard all different stuff on that one. Really not sure.

But hey, what I can tell you is that I think I remember Woods getting some reps at MLB this morning.

Yeah, I've heard all different stuff on that one. Really not sure.

But hey, what I can tell you is that I think I remember Woods getting some reps at MLB this morning.
Wild.......

The same team can sign him. The Pats did this with Larry Centers not that long ago.. And Jason Webster last year.

The same team can sign him. The Pats did this with Larry Centers not that long ago.. And Jason Webster last year.
Thanks Db!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back