PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Deion Branch and Malcolm Williams; Greg Salas and Aqib Talib added to 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Branch cut

There's already a thread, your surprise would be warranted :D

Yeah I saw it earlier this afternoon myself. I agree with Ken, it's probably more of a so-long then goodbye (in the words of patsfanken).

I responded to a thread earlier in the week that asked if there was a chance that we'd be bringing up Salas from the PS. My response was that I didn't see it happening unless there was enough reason due to injury concerns, since both Branch and Edelman could likely fill in for a game just fine. I guess that Belichick either disagrees entirely, or he is rolling the dice a bit...maybe a bit of both?

Love Deion circa 2004 but man our outside WR are poor, among the worst in the NFL. Lets see if Salas can produce at all...

This game has the makings of a trap, no Mankins, no Herdanez, Welker 60%, etc.

Looks like another classic Patriots win!

Yeah I saw it earlier this afternoon myself. I agree with Ken, it's probably more of a so-long then goodbye (in the words of patsfanken).

I responded to a thread earlier in the week that asked if there was a chance that we'd be bringing up Salas from the PS. My response was that I didn't see it happening unless there was enough reason due to injury concerns, since both Branch and Edelman could likely fill in for a game just fine. I guess that Belichick either disagrees entirely, or he is rolling the dice a bit...maybe a bit of both?

I think we will find out in the coming days that there are several bottom dwellers out there with injury problems of their own who are about to start mining some other teams PS for some hidden gold for next year.

At this point if jesters, miami or StL (who happens to know this guy since we swiped him from them) wanted some more wr help; they could have contacted his agent and BB said 'not so fast'.

I am sure that any player on the NE PS is going to give a strong-potential SB contender who they currently work for a chance to make them an offer {edit} before walking out the door.

Last edited:
Hopefully Deion is re-signed on Friday. If Hernandez is ready by then, a TE can be released to make room.

Like everyone else here, it is definitly though to swallow the Branch release.

With that said, I'm sure there is a very good reason for these roster moves. Maybe Branch is banged up more than we know, and maybe Salas has shown some good things in practice.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that is not available to us - the fans.

I trust the coaching staff to know what they're doing.

With that said, I don't know if it's just me, but in the past season the and half it appears the Patriots are piling up more injuries than they pick wins.... :rolleyes:

I don't know if the team is really that banged up, or if it's just BB's way to confuse opponents by loading up on the injury reports... :confused:

I think we will find out in the coming days that there are several bottom dwellers out there with injury problems of their own who are about to start mining some other teams PS for some hidden gold for next year.

At this point if jesters, miami or StL (who happens to know this guy since we swiped him from them) wanted some more wr help; they could have contacted his agent and BB said 'not so fast'.

I am sure that any player on the NE PS is going to give a strong-potential SB contender who they currently work for a chance to make them an offer {edit} before walking out the door.

Solid point, you could be onto something.

Considering that Salas is the highest paid player on the practice squad in terms of weekly pay (somewhere close to 9,000 per week IIRC) they may also have had another plan in place for him which consisted of them slowly grooming him into becoming some type of role player.

One more potential theory is that they want to try and gauge a feel for what they may have in him for next season too, with Welker, Edelman (and now Branch) all being in the last yr's of their deals. Salas' production could even have some bearing on the Edelman situation for next year, one never knows.

Any way you look at it, a somewhat productive Salas will be a welcome sight for Patriot fans, especially with the lack of production that we've seen so far from Edelman this season.

Last edited:
His senior year

2d9ziiw.jpg

Seems pretty logical to me. With all the receivers gimpy, what good does nursing Branch through his hamstring do us? I've been arguing all along that he has value to us as a guy who can make a clutch catch once in a while.

That's "to us". are people really pamicking that every team in ther league is suddenly dying to spend a roster space based on the possible upside of Deion and some QB he's never played with? Come on. It's situational. I'll be amazed if he doesn't pass through waivers and maybe end up back on our roster.

In the mean time, we get a guy with familiarity and a lot of upside (we hope) which is better in the short run than taking a flyer on an unknown.

What i wonder is, have they been working out Woodhead and/or Vereen on some routes? They used to do it with Faulk.

Woodhead was a wideout sometimes in NY, and I think he's lined up there here, no?

Oh wait, he protests.

Danny Woodhead, not a wide receiver! - YouTube

Last edited:
Like everyone else here, it is definitly though to swallow the Branch release.

With that said, I'm sure there is a very good reason for these roster moves. Maybe Branch is banged up more than we know, and maybe Salas has shown some good things in practice.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that is not available to us - the fans.

I trust the coaching staff to know what they're doing.

I am apparently in the minority here, but I was excited when I saw this, as I really like Salas as a player and I believe that he has the potential to make an impact. I appreciate that Branch is a quality person and teammate but the quickness isn't there anymore and he can't get separation on a consistent basis. IMO would have been a continued non-factor for the Pats going forward, regardless of his rapport with Brady. If the BB and JMD like Salas, which they seemingly do, I have a tough time believing that they would expose him to the waiver process in a week or two, when Branch's hammy has healed. This strikes me as a permanent move.

If the BB and JMD like Salas, which they seemingly do, I have a tough time believing that they would expose him to the waiver process in a week or two, when Branch's hammy has healed. This strikes me as a permanent move.

They can always release or IR someone else, if they need them both by then.

I am apparently in the minority here, but I was excited when I saw this, as I really like Salas as a player and I believe that he has the potential to make an impact. I appreciate that Branch is a quality person and teammate but the quickness isn't there anymore and he can't get separation on a consistent basis. IMO would have been a continued non-factor for the Pats going forward, regardless of his rapport with Brady. If the BB and JMD like Salas, which they seemingly do, I have a tough time believing that they would expose him to the waiver process in a week or two, when Branch's hammy has healed. This strikes me as a permanent move.

I too like this. I appreciate all that Branch has done, but I feel like it's time to move forward, and the Pats needed something more. Maybe Salas can provide, maybe not, but Branch's injury provided an opportunity to take a look and see, and I don't see that much was lost.

They can always release or IR someone else, if they need them both by then.

True (?Hoomanawanui), but that leaves the roster with less flexibilty, particularly given that Branch doesn't have special teams value.

Branch is hurt. They need a healthy body out there at WR. This team is banged up. They need another byeweek. Yikes!

Well they get a week and a half off after the game next Thursday.

Actually, they play the Jests next Thursday so that's like having a 2 1/2 week bye until their next real game!

:singing:

True (?Hoomanawanui), but that leaves the roster with less flexibilty, particularly given that Branch doesn't have special teams value.

Then, they don't pick him back up. Can't get more flexible than that.

I see a huge rushing day on the way ... Branch will be back.

Best of Luck Deion.

I expect you'll be back

Nows the time to see what Salas can do. He's a big receiver and Indy has a weak D against the run. Has anybody seen him play for the Rams, I wonder if he is a good blocking WR compared with Branch. Does he give us anything on special teams?

As far as talib goes I would try to match him up in man on the colts #2 WR and double Wayne with Dennard and safety help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes