PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Deion Branch and Malcolm Williams; Greg Salas and Aqib Talib added to 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction of an Edelman + Salas, Shiancoe/Hooman/Gronk Offense is coming to fruition lol

I remember everybody flipping out because Branch and Gaffney got released in TC. What was BB thinking!

Branch has 9 catches for 80 yards, Gaffney 4 for 68 for Miami.

Hopefully, Salas adds something to the offense.

Salas is a WR.

I know that. Just saying that we cut a veteran who knows Brady really well when we have Hernadez out and Welker questionable seems risky...thats all!

Last edited:
I remember everybody flipping out because Branch and Gaffney got released in TC. What was BB thinking!

Branch has 9 catches for 80 yards, Gaffney 4 for 68 for Miami.

Hopefully, Salas adds something to the offense.

Does anyone know if Brady has worked out with Salas at all?

If not, expect Brady to ignore him entirely. Even then, Brady worked with Edelman over the offseason and it led to pretty much nothing.

The Branch cut is interesting. Is this a "permanent" move, or is it because of the injuries....?

Agreed, almost shocking considering he is intimately familiar with the offense and has history with TB. The true injury situation must be pretty bad and/or Salas has been showing something good in practice and/or BB suspected Salas was about to be poached by another team.

If not, expect Brady to ignore him entirely. Even then, Brady worked with Edelman over the offseason and it led to pretty much nothing.

I'm hoping it was a promotion based more on merit than an injury to Branch. Branch doesn't really add much at this point, maybe they see Salas as the better alternative.

I remember Mike Reiss predicting Salas would have 61 receptions based on his rapport with Brady during training camp.

It was a pleasure Mr Branch

Branch is hurt. They need a healthy body out there at WR. This team is banged up. They need another byeweek. Yikes!

Branch is hurt. They need a healthy body out there at WR. This team is banged up. They need another byeweek. Yikes!
Well they get a week and a half off after the game next Thursday.

Speed and Separation wise Salas might be an upgrade over Branch. Maybe McDaniels thinks Salas has the offense down and has progressed enough to be used in the offense.

I mean they obviously thought of him high enough to give him almost quadruple the amount of the next practice squad played

Last edited:
I didn't expect Branch to get cut. Hopefully he's back in a few weeks.

Let the run to the playoffs begin.

Last edited:
Branch cut

Usually I'm the last guy to know anything, so I'm surprised to be first with this.

Looks like a typical Pats move. Branch has a hamstring pull and I guess wasn't going to play. Cut him now. Bring on Salas. and then reverse the process later on if necessary. I don't think this is good by to Deion, just so long.

Re: Branch cut

Usually I'm the last guy to know anything, so I'm surprised to be first with this.

Looks like a typical Pats move. Branch has a hamstring pull and I guess wasn't going to play. Cut him now. Bring on Salas. and then reverse the process later on if necessary. I don't think this is good by to Deion, just so long.

Let the broken Twig recover rather than be swept away in the fall cleanup

There's already a thread, your surprise would be warranted :D

Speed and Separation wise Salas might be an upgrade over Branch. Maybe McDaniels thinks Salas has the offense down and has progressed enough to be used in the offense.

I mean they obviously thought of him high enough to give him almost quadruple the amount of the next practice squad played

I certainly hope this is the case. Branch can't beat one-on-one coverage, maybe Salas can. We've needed more speed and physicality at WR forever now anyway. The "lack of familiarity with Brady" thing hopefully (and shouldn't) be that much of an issue.

Don't know a thing about Salas, but surely it's not possible that he's too much of a downgrade from Branch at this point. Sadly, I don't think Deon will be back.

In other news.....
Man%20Lands%20on%20Moon.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey