PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign Izzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific, but I must admit I'd be far happier if we could figure out hwo to get him out of goal line defense. Unless I'm mistaken, he often fails to set the edge, and otherwise screws up when he actuall has to play linebacker, or something similar to linebacker. :( :(

I believe that was a big part of the Willie McGinest scrum with him a while back.

Right. I suppose this is a good signing if BB wants to keep him around, but it doesn't necessarily thrill me. Izzo doesn't seem able to offer much at all when called upon to contribute beyond special teams.

Right. I suppose this is a good signing if BB wants to keep him around, but it doesn't necessarily thrill me. Izzo doesn't seem able to offer much at all when called upon to contribute beyond special teams.

Has that ever been a serious problem?

Would you rather have Izzo or Vrabel on special teams?

(i.e. - who is the better special teams player?)

Last edited:
Ok, point taken. So what do you think needs to be done as far as LB depth? Do you think we are set? Or are you looking for another guy?

we need depth. im fine with our starting 4..Thomas can definatley play ILB at strongside like Ted Johnson and sometimes shift outside with Vrabel and all that. Depth would be nice..Alexander is an FA, Davis retired, TBC is gone, Gardner is an FA, Seau is gone. Who are our backup LBs? Woods, Izzo and Mays ? All 3 are STers. We get someone in draft for future (round 1) and sign a few guys..not biggernames like Mitchell that people hope because hes a starter really. Get someone who has some experience in a 3-4, can play ST and has starting exp

what would Seau do for us? Besides be good depth? He cant play 3rd down and i doubt he actually starts over anyone in our group. I would bring him back but its not a must

He needs to think if he wants to come back one more year in a limited role and spell off Bruschi. I would think of them as being a tandem alternating plays to highlight their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

On the overall LB plan, all that is left to do is to sign Seau or another vet like him and then draft an ILB with the #24.

But, a lot of this planning depends on how the Samuel negotiations are going. If he signs long term and with Gay coming off IR, the Pats probably wouldn't draft a CB at #24. If it becomes obvious Samuel is a one year rental, then the priority of drafting a CB goes ahead of LB.

Last edited:
Nice special team player but Izzo brings nothing to the LB corps as a backup. Strictly a SP player. I thought he would be on the bubble this year, guess not.

Izzo is a horrible linebacker. Every time he's in our goal line defensive package, the other team runs sweeps in his direction and he fails in stopping the RB.

Izzo is a horrible linebacker. Every time he's in our goal line defensive package, the other team runs sweeps in his direction and he fails in stopping the RB.

i remember LT burned him..and idk how u get burned at the 2 yard line when your next to someone. :\

i remember LT burned him..and idk how u get burned at the 2 yard line when your next to someone. :\

You get outrun to the sidelines...

(Or in the case of Denver, January 2005, pushed from behind by an OT...)

Are we seriously discussing Larry Izzo in his goal line play?

I don't think that was what he was re-signed for. I don't think that is why he has been on the Patriots 6 years running. I don't think that is why is a 2-time Pro Bowler. I don't think that is why he is a team captain. I don't think that is why he is a locker room leader. I don't think that is why he is one of the best special team players in the NFL.

Last edited:
Terrific, but I must admit I'd be far happier if we could figure out hwo to get him out of goal line defense. Unless I'm mistaken, he often fails to set the edge, and otherwise screws up when he actuall has to play linebacker, or something similar to linebacker. :( :(

I believe that was a big part of the Willie McGinest scrum with him a while back.

You are correct, sir...and so is JWB.

Izzo brings nothing to the LB position, and if he's so good on ST, then why are the coverage units so mediocre?

The pats need to become bigger, younger, faster, and stronger at LB and ST. Izzo is none of these. His time has come (and gone).

I was hoping that someone like Isaiah Kacyvenski or Tony Gilbert would be signed to fill one of the backup LB/ST spots.

If Izzo returns, then Seau and - especially - Troy Brown better be returning, as well.

Sammy Morris was bad enough, but Larry Izzo? His spot should have been upgraded after the 2004 season. Whatever happened to: "Better to have them leave one year too early than one year too late"?

Other than that, it's a good signing.

Izzo brings nothing to the LB position, and if he's so good on ST, then why are the coverage units so mediocre?

The pats need to become bigger, younger, faster, and stronger at LB and ST. Izzo is none of these. His time has come (and gone).

I was hoping that someone like Isaiah Kacyvenski or Tony Gilbert would be signed to fill one of the backup LB/ST spots.

If Izzo returns, then Seau and - especially - Troy Brown better be returning, as well.

Sammy Morris was bad enough, but Larry Izzo? His spot should have been upgraded after the 2004 season. Whatever happened to: "Better to have them leave one year too early than one year too late"?

:bangs head against keyboard repeatedly, grumbling "some people will never get it...":

I'll get to this one in a minute. I have more worthwhile things to take care of in the meantime.

Last edited:
excellent. just need to resign Seau, and look at some other existing contracts (warren, Wilfork, SAMUEL obviously) and I think our defense is set approaching the draft.

What are you talking about? Warren is signed through 2009 and Wilfork through 2010. The earliest we need to address Warren is next year. Other than that, I agree with resigning Seau for 1st and 2nd down situations for a cheap price. The guys still has some in him and wants to win obviously. I wouldn't say this would be a must to sign him, but just a nice addition since he not only already knows the system, but he did a GREAT job against the run last year.

What are you talking about? Warren is signed through 2009 and Wilfork through 2010. The earliest we need to address Warren is next year. Other than that, I agree with resigning Seau for 1st and 2nd down situations for a cheap price. The guys still has some in him and wants to win obviously. I wouldn't say this would be a must to sign him, but just a nice addition since he not only already knows the system, but he did a GREAT job against the run last year.

Chop off a year on each.

Warren is signed through 2008, and Wilfork through 2009.

They become free agents, respectively, in March 2009 and March 2010.

Izzo is our ST captain. Good re-signing.................

Izzo brings nothing to the LB position. Fantastic. Neither does Brady. But both players are some of the best in the league at what they do.

The coverage units are so mediocre because, in part, a few guys the Pats play twice a year - Terrence McGee and Justin Miller.

The pats need to become bigger, younger, faster, and stronger at LB

You're absolutely correct. But that is irrelevant to the discussion of Larry Izzo.

captain stone said:
and ST. Izzo is none of these. His time has come (and gone).

I've seen nothing to suggest Izzo's special teams skills have diminished.

captain stone said:

And how is that relevant to the discussion of Larry Izzo?

captain stone said:

By what reasoning?

captain stone said:
Sammy Morris was bad enough,

Just horrible. Those idiots in Foxborough have no clue what they're doing.

captain stone said:
Larry Izzo? His spot should have been upgraded after the 2004 season.

By who? There are very few players in the NFL who play Izzo's position better than him.

captain stone said:
Whatever happened to: "Better to have them leave one year too early than one year too late"?

He's 32, for chrissakes, not 42.

captain stone said:

I agree.

Chop off a year on each.

Warren is signed through 2008, and Wilfork through 2009.

They become free agents, respectively, in March 2009 and March 2010.

That's what I meant, sorry for confusion. Warren is under contract for 2 more years and we still don't need to resign him until next year at the earliest like I said.

That's what I meant, sorry for confusion. Warren is under contract for 2 more years and we still don't need to resign him until next year at the earliest like I said.

I agree. Most teams don't like to extend players when they have more than 1 year left on their contracts, too.

I agree. Aside from Izzo's crappy linebacker skills, I don't even think he's that good at special teams anymore. I would rather completely revamp the unit with some younger guys. Izzo is old, one-dimensional, and not even that good at his specialty anymore.

Well, Why wouldn't we address this situation if we had the money? I read a lot of threads on here about a week ago addressing the "we should sign Warren to a long term contract now" issue, and i thought I was voicing an opinion that was felt by a lot on the board.

Guess I was wrong. my bad.

I agree. Aside from Izzo's crappy linebacker skills, I don't even think he's that good at special teams anymore. I would rather completely revamp the unit with some younger guys. Izzo is old, one-dimensional, and not even that good at his specialty anymore.

Support your position with facts or specific observations.

Izzo brings nothing to the LB position. Fantastic. Neither does Brady. But both players are some of the best in the league at what they do.
Izzo is listed as a backup LB, Brady isn't. Thats a stretch comparing Brady at QB to Izzo on STs. Izzo is not one of the best at what he does, above average yes, best no. Izzo has been and always be a career special teamer, he is not even a good backup at anything. BB certainly values what Izzo brings to the team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes