PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Re-do Gronk's Contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To give credit where credit is due, Florio wasn't trying to say, "OMG!!! Cheatriots!!!" He was trying to explain why the Patriots CAN do this, despite the new CBA.

Actually, I don't think he does. I think he thinks Gronk is covered under the new CBA and cannot get more years until three years of service. At the very least, he does a very poor job explaining why Gronk can get a new contract.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts when he gets the extension and if he questions if it will be a legal contract under he CBA. Granted even if his thinking is wrong, he could be educated from the time he wrote the piece and when the Pats' announce the contract.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what they do. Unless they go nutty to make his agent (who has had some bad days lately and is in a tough spot right now so he may be looking for good press) happy they wont go beyond a 3 year extension (meaning the deal ends in 2016) since that is the furthest that they can prorate with a signing bonus this year. That could mean something if they look to do Hernandez early since they will set their own precedent with Gronkowski.

As for the second point about the other rookie deals I dont think its a factor since, as you said, he isnt in the new system. He falls in with the 2010 and before class and this was somewhat common for good players, though usually it was after 3 years. The 2011 class Im guess will be watching Newton closely since he will be the first to get an extension. I always thought the rookies should have gotten true options within their current contracts around year 3 rather than the current system of year 5.

They could go longer. This outfit loves option bonus structure and layering and they do have a tendancy to prefer the pay as you go method and incremental deals (ask Brady) as opposed to some teams approach of living off the gold card and worrying about the consequences only when the bill comes stamped demand notice... Hard to predict lately though since they gave Mankins more than he was asking on a longer term deal than anyone had gotten absent beneficial proration. And then they gave Mayo 5 years on top of his two remaining (for pro ration, albeit in December) and at top 3 new money. But they can't budge for Welker who is apparently aging in dog years... ;)

But they can't budge for Welker who is apparently aging in dog years... ;)

I have a feeling that if the Pats lock up Gronk long term that the Welker situation will get resolved very quickly. Signing Gronk also allows the Pats the option of using the franchise tag on Aaron Hernandez in 2014. Extending Gronk and then signing Welker to a 3 year deal would give them Gronk, Welker, Lloyd, and effectively Hernandez signed (or franchisable) through 2014. That should set Brady up pretty darn well for a multi-year SB run.

They could go longer. This outfit loves option bonus structure and layering and they do have a tendancy to prefer the pay as you go method and incremental deals (ask Brady) as opposed to some teams approach of living off the gold card and worrying about the consequences only when the bill comes stamped demand notice... Hard to predict lately though since they gave Mankins more than he was asking on a longer term deal than anyone had gotten absent beneficial proration. And then they gave Mayo 5 years on top of his two remaining (for pro ration, albeit in December) and at top 3 new money. But they can't budge for Welker who is apparently aging in dog years... ;)

I think teams will hedge on the option, though I forgot they did it with Mayo since his deal was so late last season. The way the new CBA allows you to attack money the option becomes a big benefit for the player and bad for the team. But I guess it depends on what you think of the player and his agent.

Ive been working through some cap numbers for the various teams from data and happened to do NEs yesterday. Huge percentage of cap tied up in LBs and OL. WRs were down, usually the fifth or so spending spot, except 2009 when it was the second on the team. So looking at that Im not surprised at the big $ for Mayo and Mankins and keeping things tight with Welker.

This would be a stroke of genius on the part of the FO, almost entirely regardless of the terms.

Not letting him get near free agency is a huge win if this goes down.

He's simply the best player at his position.

Gronk now the highest paid TE in NFL history, per Schefter.

From Brian McIntyre at NFL.com:

Recent contracts for elite tight ends have per-year averages of around $7 million. Perennial Pro Bowl TEs Jason Witten ($7.4 million), Vernon Davis ($7.35 million) and Antonio Gates ($7.235 million) lead the list, and Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley signed a two-year, $14 million extension to avoid a franchise tag in February. Zach Miller and Marcedes Lewis have contracts worth $6.8 million annually, and future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez signed a one-year, $6.9 million extension late last season.

Rob Gronkowski might get new Patriots deal - NFL.com

An extension that Pays Gronk $7-8M over the next 2 years and $9M after that might be reasonable.

That's a lot of touchdown spikes to come...

Last edited:
An extension that Pays Gronk $7-8M over the next 2 years and $9M after that might be reasonable.

That would work out to roughly $14-16M for 2012-2013 and $36-54M over the next 4-6 years, depending on the length of the contract. Total value would be somewhere between $50-70M over 6-8 years. Adam Schefter reports that the Pats are working on a 6 year extension with Gronk for around $54M - not clear if that's 6 years total, or on top of the current 2 years remaining - so that would seem to be somewhere in the ballpark.

I can't say just how happy I am!

I got a Pats Gronk Shirt last Christmas!

pretty much makes him a Pat for life, or close to it. Can't say I'm upset about this :D

But New England never pays out!

We've only given players the richest (at times of signing) contract at: QB, G, TE, and NT (I believe?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes