PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Ravens: Thoughts After the Replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great analysis, great thread.

Interesting to see the criticisms of the Brady roll out. I "lurk" on this site more than post, but I can't recall seeing any other criticisms of the roll out play, not just for this past game, but as a part of the playbook (although one poster above said he started a thread on it, I apologize but I didn't see it.)
The roll out should be taken out of the playbook so long as Brady is QB. He just doesn't do it well. He has the best pocket presence of any QB I can recall, (and, I've been watching the NFL since early 70's), he sidesteps the rush better than anyone, he goes through his reads and he looks off DBs better than anyone. All of those skills are lost when he rolls out. Plus, as someone else said, his accuracy just doesn't seem to be the same. Against the Ravens, as soon as he starteed to roll out, I just groaned, knowing what was about to happen..and it did.
I haven't seen the play since, but you watch it and I guarantee, he locked on Welker from the first step he took and he threw off-kilter. Hell, Jamarcus Russell can do that.

Great analysis, great thread.

Interesting to see the criticisms of the Brady roll out. I "lurk" on this site more than post, but I can't recall seeing any other criticisms of the roll out play, not just for this past game, but as a part of the playbook (although one poster above said he started a thread on it, I apologize but I didn't see it.)
The roll out should be taken out of the playbook so long as Brady is QB. He just doesn't do it well. He has the best pocket presence of any QB I can recall, (and, I've been watching the NFL since early 70's), he sidesteps the rush better than anyone, he goes through his reads and he looks off DBs better than anyone. All of those skills are lost when he rolls out. Plus, as someone else said, his accuracy just doesn't seem to be the same. Against the Ravens, as soon as he starteed to roll out, I just groaned, knowing what was about to happen..and it did.
I haven't seen the play since, but you watch it and I guarantee, he locked on Welker from the first step he took and he threw off-kilter. Hell, Jamarcus Russell can do that.

From the replay, he locked on Welker from the first step and he threw off-kilter.

Nice to see you enjoying the win, captain. :D

I know we're not allowed to put other posters' quotes in our sigs, but I wish that a mod would take this and post it in any and all Maroney threads from now on.

I've also seen those lines used by pro wrestling fans, explaining to non-fans why they follow the sport if the results are pre-determined. We'll prob. need LaMa to come through sometime this season, if not this Sunday, so for our sakes I hope the HC & OC provide him with runs designed to maximize his strengths - outside the Tackles - and minimize hias weaknesses - inside the Tackles.

From the replay, he locked on Welker from the first step and he threw off-kilter.

Brady has been awful throwing on the run. Not sure why that is the case.

they run that play just to put the possibility in the other team's mind...they do a lot of things that don't seem to work well that are part of the overall game plan,which seems to work well most of the time.Judging specific plays in a vacuum is counterintuitive IMO.

We'll prob. need LaMa to come through sometime this season, if not this Sunday, so for our sakes I hope the HC & OC provide him with runs designed to maximize his strengths - outside the Tackles - and minimize hias weaknesses - inside the Tackles.

I agree with you, but that's one reason why I'm quite encouraged. I thought that in the last two weeks that's just what they tried to do with Maroney. Of course, running up the middle against the Ravens is a mug's game, but you can't abandon it completely and someone's got to do it.

You're right: LoMo flourishes if you can get him into a broken or spread field. It doesn't always show up on the YPA for *runs*, however, because that excludes the short passes to the outside (Maroney's best play last Sunday).

That is one of my pet peeves. Nowadays, with the more "spread" style of offense, backs should really be assessed on total yards and yards per play (i.e. runs plus passes thrown towards them, caught or not) not rushing yards. Those numbers would explain, by the way, why Fred Jackson really did have a field day in Game 1, despite only about half his yards being "rushing".

they run that play just to put the possibility in the other team's mind...they do a lot of things that don't seem to work well that are part of the overall game plan,which seems to work well most of the time.Judging specific plays in a vacuum is counterintuitive IMO.

I can understand doing something that's low percentage just to keep the opposing team honest. I can't see doing it on a crucial third down play which could be the difference between putting the game out of reach and needing to make a game-saving defensive stand.

Brady had terrible control of his momentum on that play. As a result, the throw sailed. In addition, as pointed out above, he essentially committed himself to making that throw to that guy, taking away his ability to read defenses and find the open guy.

I can't see doing it on a crucial third down play

probably why they ran it...look, I understand why you didn't like the play,I'm just saying they run plays like that to try to keep the defense off balance...hindsight is always 20/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes