PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Rams rated the #9 greatest upset of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with #1, but the Pats should have been a little higher.......nobody gave them a chance except i think Theisman and Cris Collinsworth!

I agree with #1, but the Pats should have been a little higher.......nobody gave them a chance except i think Theisman and Cris Collinsworth!

But, still the second greatest upset in NFL history, behind the undisputed leader, Jets-Colts.

Had we not won two more superbowls, that upset ranking would have been much, much higher for sure.

Had we not won two more superbowls, that upset ranking would have been much, much higher for sure.

Good point, sometimes a stand alone event is not viewed as such.

What's funny about that game is that I was so young (11 years old) and oblivious that I didn't realize how outmatched the Patriots really were. I was nervous and excited, but I kind of expected the Pats to win. Glad I was right.

What's funny about that game is that I was so young (11 years old) and oblivious that I didn't realize how outmatched the Patriots really were. I was nervous and excited, but I kind of expected the Pats to win. Glad I was right.

What I remember about the week leading up to the game was how sure all the players from around the league were that the Rams would win big. There was interview after interview where they were all predicting a 20+ point blowout. But you knew after the 1st qtr that the NE D had come to play.

Good list in this article. Covers all sports, and I can't argue with any of his choices.

What I remember most is Terry Bradshaw before the game when they were predicting

"I have a hard time picking against anyone wearing red, white and, blue callng themselves Patriots."

On a side note regarding the Warriors/Mavericks series, Golden State had beaten Dallas 2 out of 2 this year before their final meeting on April 18th. Dallas coach Avery Johnson, his team having clinched HCA, decided to rest players in that game and Golden State won. Had Dallas won (which could have happened if they tried), the Mavs would have avoided the Warriors and played the Clippers instead.

Strange

On a side note regarding the Warriors/Mavericks series, Golden State had beaten Dallas 2 out of 2 this year before their final meeting on April 18th. Dallas coach Avery Johnson, his team having clinched HCA, decided to rest players in that game and Golden State won. Had Dallas won (which could have happened if they tried), the Mavs would have avoided the Warriors and played the Clippers instead.

Strange

That's like in 2005 where if we had beaten the Dolphins instead of resting our players we would have played the Steelers and then the Colts. No Broncos. I don't blame Belichick for that because I think they had already started preparing for Jacksonville weeks in advance (no won could predict the Bengals collapse) but it's still funny how stuff works out like that.

That's like in 2005 where if we had beaten the Dolphins instead of resting our players we would have played the Steelers and then the Colts. No Broncos. I don't blame Belichick for that because I think they had already started preparing for Jacksonville weeks in advance (no won could predict the Bengals collapse) but it's still funny how stuff works out like that.

Not exactly. If NE had won, they would face Pittsburgh and if they had won the wild-card game, they automatically would have gone to Denver anyways. I think Belichick rested players to avoid the possibility of playing Denver (at least in the divisional round).

Not exactly. If NE had won, they would face Pittsburgh and if they had won the wild-card game, they automatically would have gone to Denver anyways. I think Belichick rested players to avoid the possibility of playing Denver (at least in the divisional round).

That is true, but had Jacksonville beaten Cincy then we wouldn't have played Denver, but I don't think that would have happened.

EDIT: scratch that, we would have played Denver.

Last edited:

Sterling Sharpe actually picked them.

IMO the Pats upset of the Chargers this year is bigger. SB36 was hyped up as a major blowout, so when the Pats won it was hyped up as a huge upset. If anyone had watched the regular season game in Foxboro, they would know the Pats were capable of hanging with St. Louis. The Pats had controlled the game for the most part.

Now the Chargers game...I seriously couldn't think of a way we could win in the days preceding the game. Outmatched in every sense of the word. SD had a worse team the last year yet still kicked our butts in Foxboro. Playing the AFC West on the road is a nightmare for New England. No Rodney Harrison, no Junior Seau. Things were not looking good.

And then the game begins and our offense looks horrible. Can't run the ball so we become one-dimensional. We keep giving the Chargers a short field to work with. SD goes out to a 14-3 lead. We claw back to within 1 with some breaks from the Chargers but they score again. Then on 4th down we saw one of the luckiest plays of all time and manage to tie the game. SD forgets they have LT on the team. We get the ball back, get a FG and the rest is history. There is no way we should have won that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes