PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats PS Off Limits to Pioli?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From PFT, the Chiefs just signed DL Kenny Smith, who hasn't played in the league since 2003 (!).

The Patriots currently have 2 d-linemen on the practice squad: Titus Adams and Darryl Richard. It's hard for me to believe that either of these guys isn't a better option that somebody who hasn't played in six years. Makes me wonder if BB didn't get Pioli to agree to not poach the Patriots' practice squad.

Last edited:
Geez - thanks for the unfounded speculation. How long before this turns upon Florio's website as yet another scandal?

From PFT, the Chief just signed DL Kenny Smith, who hasn't played in the league since 2003 (!).

The Patriots currently have 2 d-linemen on the practice squad: Titus Adams and Darryl Richard. It's hard for me to believe that either of these guys isn't a better option that somebody who hasn't played in six years. Makes me wonder if BB didn't get Pioli to agree to not poach the Patriots' practice squad.

yes, but I think it's more of an unwritten rule in the NFL not to poach w/o inquiring what the plans are for that player. I think that line of decorum is even more applicable to BB and Pioli.

Remember when Childress poached Garrett Miles (even though he was waived, but BB made it clear in league circles that he would be signed)? That was viewed as taboo.

Th patriots cut Smith on June 4th, 2009. Apparently, the patriots thought enough of him to consider him for this year's DL.

Pioli has sufficient information of Smith, Adams and Richard to make an intelligent choice. If Smith can pass a physical, I would probably pick him over Adams or Richard also, unless I needed a NT.
===========================================
from wiki

New England Patriots
Smith signed with the Patriots on June 8, 2007. He was released on August 22, 2007 and re-signed with the Patriots on April 22, 2008. Before the 2008 season he was placed on injured reserve and missed the entire season. He was released on June 4, 2009.

Of course this is unfounded speculation. This is the Internet, right?

From PFT, the Chiefs just signed DL Kenny Smith, who hasn't played in the league since 2003 (!).

Adams and Richard aren't really NTs though, which is what Pioli needs. However, Kenny Smith is more of a 3-4 DE too.

Actually, didn't Pioli say a while ago that he wasn't going to try to poach NE players?

yes, but I think it's more of an unwritten rule in the NFL not to poach w/o inquiring what the plans are for that player. I think that line of decorum is even more applicable to BB and Pioli.

Remember when Childress poached Garrett Miles (even though he was waived, but BB made it clear in league circles that he would be signed)? That was viewed as taboo.

I guess it would be OK if the Patriots are paying these two guys the same as they would be making on the active roster of another NFL team. If not, and if there is some wink-and-not arrangement here (two big "ifs" for sure) then it's collusion. Hard to prove, but not impossible.

are we the only team in the league with 1 DL on the PS?

are we the only team in the league with 1 DL on the PS?

No, because there's 2 DL on the PS. Richard and Adams.

But to answer your question, at least half of all teams only have 1 DL on their PS right now.

Last edited:
I guess it would be OK if the Patriots are paying these two guys the same as they would be making on the active roster of another NFL team. If not, and if there is some wink-and-not arrangement here (two big "ifs" for sure) then it's collusion. Hard to prove, but not impossible.

There is an absolute ton of legal collusion in the NFL, all made possible by the antitrust exemption. If it's not specifically against league rules, then simply being collusion probably wouldn't matter.

What kind of logic is this? You make something up and then you say it is hard to prove.

Of course it is hard to prove! It's all make believe!

This may come as a it of a shock, but Pioli is pretty good at personnel evaluation, and if you and he differ about who best fits the KC CHiefs, it might not be because Pioli is wrong.

Kenny Smith was on the Saints Roster in 2004 and 2005. He was also with the Pats for a bit at the end of 2006 or 2007 I think.

would tempest and teapot please report to the recycle bin..thank you..

what about all the intellectual property that Pioli assembled during his tenure here. I am talking about scouting reports, draft ranks for 010, 011....and general strategic information about upcoming FAs and whatever else.

Even if he left all the paperwork, there is no way possible to erase his brain. Seems like the two teams, therefore, have an interconnected front office strategy for at least 2-3 years.

And that's probably a bigger concern than some practice squad players. Why, because the Chiefs draft the guys Belichick wants, the Cheifs, if not sign then offer FAs contracts that cause Belichick to pay more than he would have otherwise. No way a handshake agreement can prevent this.

Last edited:
What kind of logic is this? You make something up and then you say it is hard to prove.

Of course it is hard to prove! It's all make believe!

This may come as a it of a shock, but Pioli is pretty good at personnel evaluation, and if you and he differ about who best fits the KC CHiefs, it might not be because Pioli is wrong.

Exactly! I couldn't have put it better myself.

Maybe Pioli simply remembered Kenny Smith and thought he was worth signing. As I recall he was on the bubble as far as making the roster and not merely camp fodder.

As for Florio's "off limits" theory, here's an analogy. Let's say I live in a town and am the owner of one of the two hardware stores in that town. The other store has a really good salesman. I could offer him more money to come work for me, but I have a gut feeling that if I do that, he'll do the same thing with my warehouse manager. So according to PFT, since I don't try make an offer then I must be in collusion with the other owner. Or because I don't beat his prices on plywood and he doesn't beat my prices on lawnmowers, there must be a conspiracy.

The rules of signing a practice squad player from another team is probably what caused Pioli to look at Smith rather than signing a player off the practice squad. If a team signs another player off of another team's practice squad, they must go on the active roster and must count towards the active roster for three weeks even if he is cut. That team is required to pay three weeks salary too (although if cut and picked up by another team even on a practice squad, the money received with the new team would offset the salary that the team is still required to pay).

If Pioli is looking for an one to two week player, it isn't feasible to sign a player of another team's practice squad.

Maybe Pioli simply remembered Kenny Smith and thought he was worth signing. As I recall he was on the bubble as far as making the roster and not merely camp fodder.

As for Florio's "off limits" theory, here's an analogy. Let's say I live in a town and am the owner of one of the two hardware stores in that town. The other store has a really good salesman. I could offer him more money to come work for me, but I have a gut feeling that if I do that, he'll do the same thing with my warehouse manager. So according to PFT, since I don't try make an offer then I must be in collusion with the other owner. Or because I don't beat his prices on plywood and he doesn't beat my prices on lawnmowers, there must be a conspiracy.

Not that those situations would be considered collusion (and not that it matters re: football), but tacit collusion is still considered collusion in antitrust matters. It does not have to be an explicit agreement, necessarily. Of course, tacit collusion is very difficult to prove, so it isn't a huge deal, but the principle is in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes