PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats prefer J.Mayo over K.Rivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mayo can be as good as Willis for the Pats system, because he is smarter, more capable of learning a new defensive scheme each week, and better vs the pass. He is also virtually identical to Willis athletically, and it was his lack of experience early in the season at MLB that caused some to misevaluate him. As the season went on he got better and better, because he is a very smart guy.

I see the Pats trading back to #13 with Carolina for Ryan and selecting Mayo there.

Mayo couldn;t shed a fire hydrant! Willis can shed a mack truck.

Mayo would be a mistake. I would rather stay at #7 and take Ellis.

Is Mayo at 7 or 10 that much better than Harris at 28 last year? If you compare the players and their based on where they're drafted, I think it would be strange to see them take Mayo so high after passing on Harris. Unless he's that much better.

In the end the Patriots won't take a LB. We think it every year. Last year we thought it was Beason or Harris. This year it's Mayo or Rivers. Is it possible it could happen? Yes, but I bet it won't. The Patriots rather have veterans in there playing LB, and get young guys on the line or DB's. This year could be different, but I don't believe the hype saying were going to draft Mayo or Rivers, just look at the track record. I personally wouldn't have a problem drafting either of them, but I just think if the Patriots draft a LB it not the safest pick for them. Just read the Roman Phifer article today.

Is Mayo at 7 or 10 that much better than Harris at 28 last year? If you compare the players and their based on where they're drafted, I think it would be strange to see them take Mayo so high after passing on Harris. Unless he's that much better.

I think Harris proved last season that he was worth a 1st round pick for the Pats. Harris is light years ahead of Mayo at similar points in their careers, and Harris brings the wood harder than mayo ever could.

But regardless of Rivers, Mayo, or Harris, I just can not see BB trusting his defense to a young ILB. The only guy I think is physical enough at the POA in this years draft class to play inside in the Pats 3-4 (after a couple of years on the pines and on STs) in Goff.

Agree about our base 3-4 defense. Maybe, not the perfect fit. But, what pct. of plays are we in 3-4? I thought we struggled getting off of the field last year at times. When we were spread out and didn't have enough speed to make plays. We were strong at the point of attack. But, Mayo might be the type of lb who can play in space better than what we have. I heard him interviewed by Kiper a week or so ago. He sounded very impressive. Mature. Graduated already. Willing to play inside/outside wherever he was needed.

Not at all. I just see Mayo's skill set being effective in a more aggressive scheme. Two things I noticed last year that bothered me:

1) Running plays where the ILB is late to the hole, RB makes one quick move, ILB tumbles to the ground like he was shot, RB gets into the secondary.

2) Weak passes by weak-armed QBs over the middle being completed with regularity, keeping inferior teams in games.

If a guard or FB fires out and makes it to the second level...and the rest of the OL can engage Warren, Wilfork, Seymour and AD/Vrabel enough to open a hole...I'll just accept the yards that result and give the offense credit.

I will be physically ill if I see Feeley, Boller or Eli throwing garbage down the middle of the field and prolonging another gut-wrenching, quarter-killing drive.

That is why Mayo is my binky this year. He's not Ted Johnson or Tedy Bruschi or Junior Seau (older versions). He can't thump like Willis and run through blocks. But I really like what Mayo is ABLE to do on the field. He isn't a traditional fit for the Pats defense as you have noted. I'm just not big on traditions that result in a Manning starring in an SI commercial.

That problem against the run became more noticeable when Colvin went down, and the tandem of Bruschi and Seau became the full time starters inside. The Patriots have already added Hobson to the mix, and I'm hoping they select at least one ILB in the first 3 rounds, so they should actually be a little better depth wise at the position in 2008.

Some of what you said about passes getting completed over the middle was also more noticeable when they moved AD (their best cover backer at the time) back to his natural positon (OLB), and their aging duo of Bruschi and Seau didn't play as well full time. I also think Randall Gay performed very poorly during their game vs the Eagles too, and he gave up some of the biggest receptions of that game...deep down the middle.

Really, the Patriots defense or their schemes weren't the reason for the loss to the Giants. Last time I checked, giving up 17 points is damn good, especially in the SB. Yes, they could have ended the game a number of times with what would have been key INT's, but that was more the fault of the particular player, not the overall defense, and they still held the Giants to a low offensive output. The offense really struggled, and I weight those struggles from the most prolific offense in NFL history, as a larger factor in the loss.

Wow, you're really down on Mayo. I'd be interested in your own scouting report.

Mayock has Mayo as his #8 overall player.

Top 9

1. Ryan
2. CLong
3. Dorsey
4. JLong
5. Gholston
6. SEllis
7. BAlbert
8. Mayo
9. Rivers

Harris is light years ahead of Mayo at similar points in their careers

Typically when you play the "at similar points in career" card, you use if on the younger guy...eg. Kobe is better than Jordan at similar points in their careers. It really doesn't make much sense when one of the players in the comparison hasn't started his career yet.

You could mean that Harris coming out in the draft last year was light years ahead of Mayo coming out this year. I don't agree but at least it is a valid comparison to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back