PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? In the mid to late 70s the Celtics were the only Boston team winning championships. They won in 74 and 76. By 76 Orr was done. The celts were still very popular before Bird arrived.

NE has a love affair with hockey - its roots in the area are much deeper than basketball. Until Bird got there, the Bruins were always more popular than the Celtics. The Bruins had good teams in the late 70s - they just could not beat Montreal. The Cowens/Havlicek Celtics were nowhere near as popular as the Bird teams.

NE has a love affair with hockey - its roots in the area are much deeper than basketball. Until Bird got there, the Bruins were always more popular than the Celtics. The Bruins had good teams in the late 70s - they just could not beat Montreal. The Cowens/Havlicek Celtics were nowhere near as popular as the Bird teams.
Nice Strawman.nobody said they were.

NE has a love affair with hockey - its roots in the area are much deeper than basketball.

Agree...and when you think about it, it's strange basketball doesn't get the same kinda attention as hockey. Basketball, after all, was invented in Springfield, Mass ;)

There are plenty of times in Boston sports history where the Celts were more popular than the Bruins. Some of you guys crack me up.

There are plenty of times in Boston sports history where the Celts were more popular than the Bruins. Some of you guys crack me up.

I wouldn't describe Boston as a basketball town. If you travel to other parts of the country, you see how much of an outlier it is. It's one of the few major markets where hockey and baseball outdoes basketball

Isn't Boston the only city in the 2000's to have a championship in each of the four major sports?

I think if the pats stay healthy, they win the super bowl in February 2017.

The sox have a chance to win the World Series in November 2017.

The Celtics are probably a minor playoff team at best in June 2017.

Sadly mismanagement of the cap has destroyed the Bruins 2017 plans. Maybe by 2020 they can become relavant.

Says Bruins29 ;)

Who I guess would know and can be objective. The fact that you and the other one cant grasp it isnt my problem.

Isn't Boston the only city in the 2000's to have a championship in each of the four major sports?

I think if the pats stay healthy, they win the super bowl in February 2017.

The sox have a chance to win the World Series in November 2017.

The Celtics are probably a minor playoff team at best in June 2017.

Sadly mismanagement of the cap has destroyed the Bruins 2017 plans. Maybe by 2020 they can become relavant.

Celtics are still missing a super-star that can carry them to a title. Currently, they are projected to be the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference. I personally think that's a bit optimistic, but it shows you how much they've improved. At the very least, they should be able to win a playoff round

I wouldn't describe Boston as a basketball town. If you travel to other parts of the country, you see how much of an outlier it is. It's one of the few major markets where hockey and baseball outdoes basketball
More straw i see. Yawn....

Who said Boston is a Basketball town? The discussion was about the Celts VS Bruins and how it was implied that the Celts were never as popular which is total ********.

Also, name a city in the USA with 4 sports where the Basletball team is the most popular team. What you are saying can be applied to any city.

More straw i see. Yawn....

Who said Boston is a Basketball town? The discussion was about the Celts VS Bruins and how it was implied that the Celts were never as popular which is total ********.

Also, name a city in the USA with 4 sports where the Basletball team is the most popular team. What you are saying can be applied to any city.

You'd be hardpressed to find any part of the country, where football ratings aren't #1 in sports. But basketball towns do, in fact, exist - in both large and small markets. LA (Lakers, Clippers), Cleveland (Cavaliers), the Bay Area (Warriors), and San Antonio (Spurs) are the ones that usually come to mind.

Chicago and New York is another example - though their teams are still rebuilding, there's a lot of local attention given to the Bulls and Knicks.

You can make an argument for putting Brady over Orr but not Williams. Orr changed the game of hockey and lead the league in scoring TWICE a a defensemen. Plus Orr has the 2 championships.

You can make an argument Orr was the greatest hockey player ever to live and #2 only behind 99. Williams, as great as he was will never be in that discussion.
I think you meant to say "You can make an argument for putting Brady over Williams but not over Orr". Some good points for Orr in putting him ahead of Williams, and maybe Brady.

Is Tom Brady the starting QB on the alltime NFL team - debatable, but I say yes. Does Orr start on defense for the alltime NHL team - yes. Does Williams start in LF on the alltime MLB team - probably. Does Bill Russell start at center on the alltime NBA team - I bet most NBA fans would say no - they might be wrong, but I bet that would be the case. Fans are hung up on scoring.
I think they would be wrong and I would argue that Russell is the GOAT of all GOATs. Lets just break it all down to the ONLY thing that matters in my mind.... Championships.

When he played in college (2 NCAA championships in 4 years). When Russell played in the NBA (11 championships in 13 years).

I think they would be wrong and I would argue that Russell is the GOAT of all GOATs. Lets just break it all down to the ONLY thing that matters in my mind.... Championships.

When he played in college (2 NCAA championships in 4 years). When Russell played in the NBA (11 championships in 13 years).

Bill Russell is 28-2 in elimination games throughout his basketball career (and 10-0 in the NBA)...that is just, unreal in so many ways

This area is by far a Patriots town now, and it has been solely one since the beginning of the decade...

There's an obsession with this team getting a SB ring that this region hasnt seen since the Sox breaking the curse. (Obviously not a 85+ year wait, but a us against the world type mentality)

NFL ratings will always beat MLB. Not to mention Sunday afternoon vs Thursday . Nonetheless, l think the Pats are more popular at this time. With that said, l think Red Sox fans are more loyal in general. They stunk up in 2014 and 2015 yet filled the park.

watching baseball is more about the experience at the ball park. doesn't matter how bad the team is it's a good family fun especially at a special ball park like fenway park

for football each game is more important.

watching baseball is more about the experience at the ball park. doesn't matter how bad the team is it's a good family fun especially at a special ball park like fenway park

For some but not others. I was a rabid Red Sox fan in the 70s even though I grew up 100+ miles away from Fenway and no one in my family was a sports fan at all so I had no shot whatsoever at getting to Fenway to see a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back