PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats players watching plays happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
At times in last nite's game, it was as if the Patriots were watching the Colts make plays. A few examples...

- Ellis Hobbs had a front row seat of Marvin Harrison's impressive TD catch. Hobbs had a chance to make a play, but instead, pulled up, I guess assuming Harrison couldn't catch it in bounds. Literally, he was as much a spectator on this play as anybody in Gillette.

- When Wayne fumbled the ball, it sat there for the taking, Hawkins (who made a sensational play forcing a fumble on special teams), seemingly decided to try and pick up the ball and run with it. Unfortunately, by the time he made this costly decision, a Colts player had done the right thing and just jumped on the damn thing.

- The interception off the Dillon tip - I don't know if Corey could've broken it up, I doubt he could have, but at least make a damn effort. The ball went off his hands and he stood there just waiting for it to drop. He at least could have dove in the damn direction of the ball and made the play more difficult for the LB.

- Brady's first interception: again, Gabriel completely slowed down and just watched the Colts player make the pick. I don't care if you have to be called for offensive pass interference - yes, Brady made a dumb pass equivalent to a hail mary, but Gabriel has to do whatever he can to break that damn thing up. Gabriel has to become the defender on that play and go and knock it down.

There were other examples where it just seemed like the Pats heads were not in the game and the game was just going on before them. It was the most disconcerting aspect of the game last night, in my mind.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
At times in last nite's game, it was as if the Patriots were watching the Colts make plays. A few examples...

- Ellis Hobbs had a front row seat of Marvin Harrison's impressive TD catch. Hobbs had a chance to make a play, but instead, pulled up, I guess assuming Harrison couldn't catch it in bounds. Literally, he was as much a spectator on this play as anybody in Gillette.

- When Wayne fumbled the ball, it sat there for the taking, Hawkins (who made a sensational play forcing a fumble on special teams), seemingly decided to try and pick up the ball and run with it. Unfortunately, by the time he made this costly decision, a Colts player had done the right thing and just jumped on the damn thing.

- The interception off the Dillon tip - I don't know if Corey could've broken it up, I doubt he could have, but at least make a damn effort. The ball went off his hands and he stood there just waiting for it to drop. He at least could have dove in the damn direction of the ball and made the play more difficult for the LB.

- Brady's first interception: again, Gabriel completely slowed down and just watched the Colts player make the pick. I don't care if you have to be called for offensive pass interference - yes, Brady made a dumb pass equivalent to a hail mary, but Gabriel has to do whatever he can to break that damn thing up. Gabriel has to become the defender on that play and go and knock it down.

There were other examples where it just seemed like the Pats heads were not in the game and the game was just going on before them. It was the most disconcerting aspect of the game last night, in my mind.

To put it bluntly.....you're an Id..t.

1.the pass to Gabriel was 5 yards overthrown and a good 3 yds to his right.He was blanketed by the c back.
He was probably incredulous,like the rest of us,that Brady even threw the ball.

2. Hobbs had good coverage on INSIDE zone coverage.What would you have him do with a broken left wrist?
Interfere with harrison on a ball almost thrown out of bounds on 3rd down?
That would have been great wouldn't it?Another 1st down via penalty?

3.Hawkins was trying to make a play.....The ball was stationary on the ground,near the sideline,he took a chance,didn't work out.Would it have been better to knock it out of bounds?
Easy for you to say....sitting at home on your barcolounger.

4.Do you think maybe Dillon didn't know where the ball was?Also he's not the most athletic person,so looking back up into the lights to refind the ball is only easy to armchair fans.

So,before you make anymore armchair analysis,either bring some football playing experience(as I have),
or get yourself down to the practice field and tell the players, in person,
what YOU would have done differently.

BradyManny2344 said:

Here is my take on what happened with Hobbs:

I saw that, and it did look that way, but I don't think there was anything else he could have done. The ball was on the other side of Harrison. For him to make a play on the ball, which is all he is allowed to do while the ball is in the air, he would have had to go through Harrison, which isn't allowed. It would have been PI and the ball would have ended up on the one yard line in front of the goal line. There would have been no point to his intervention. In fact Harrison might not have caught it, or been able to come down in bounds, in which case Hobbs would have taken a victory and made it into a defeat, by allowing them a second chance.

That picture to me epitomizes what is wrong with the whole concept of PI. It forces players to stand and let a play happen or to take an interference penalty. Either option means the defender can't do his job and the best for his team.

Once Harrison caught the ball Hobbs could have hit him to try to make him drop it. Since the ball was so close to the line and Harrison and the ball passed out of bounds if Hobbs had tried to hit Harrison after the catch, then he would have been flagged for a personal foul for hitting a player after he went out of bounds. It was just a no win situation, and not fair to blame Hobbs - who actually read the situation right and did nothing.

I didn't really see enough of the other situations you mentioned to comment on them.

The play that bugged me was that Dillon fumble that they ran all the way back. Sure, the TD was called back, but there was no whistle and the Patriots players all just stood there and watched them run the ball back. Who cares whethere you thought he was down, if the refs don't blow the whistle, take him out, don't just stand there and watch the guy waltz in for a td.

italia44 said:
To put it bluntly.....you're an Id..t.

1.the pass to Gabriel was 5 yards overthrown and a good 3 yds to his right.He was blanketed by the c back.
He was probably incredulous,like the rest of us,that Brady even threw the ball.

2. Hobbs had good coverage on INSIDE zone coverage.What would you have him do with a broken left wrist?
Interfere with harrison on a ball almost thrown out of bounds on 3rd down?
That would have been great wouldn't it?Another 1st down via penalty?

3.Hawkins was trying to make a play.....The ball was stationary on the ground,near the sideline,he took a chance,didn't work out.Would it have been better to knock it out of bounds?
Easy for you to say....sitting at home on your barcolounger.

4.Do you think maybe Dillon didn't know where the ball was?Also he's not the most athletic person,so looking back up into the lights to refind the ball is only easy to armchair fans.

So,before you make anymore armchair analysis,either bring some football playing experience(as I have),
or get yourself down to the practice field and tell the players, in person,
what YOU would have done differently.

:rolleyes:
I'm not attacking the players or anything, so ease back. I'm just saying that they weren't exactly ball hawks last nite, and there were plenty of times where the Colts made heads up plays the Patriots didn't.

Your idea that we shouldn't be allowed to question players on a given play is just downright silly - this is a message board where we share our thoughts and reactions to the game, we're all "arm chair fans", and if we weren't, we'd have nothing to do here except post injury reports and stats. What should we do? Go around talking about what a great effort everyone made and how it's more important that they all have fun playing? Grow up.

1. Sure, maybe he was incredolous, but that shouldn't prevent him from making a play to prevent the interception.
2. My problem with the Hobbs play is that in the time in which Harrison first touched the ball to the time in which he eventually corralled it in, there was ample time for Hobbs to make an attempt to break it up. Whether it'd be successful or not, who knows?
3. I don't even know what the hell barcolounger is. Hawkins should have dove on the ball, I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything bad about him, he simply made a poor judgement on the play.
4. Dillon didn't make a play for the ball. At all. That's all I'm saying.

PatsFan-NH said:
Once Harrison caught the ball Hobbs could have hit him to try to make him drop it. Since the ball was so close to the line and Harrison and the ball passed out of bounds if Hobbs had tried to hit Harrison after the catch, then he would have been flagged for a personal foul for hitting a player after he went out of bounds. It was just a no win situation, and not fair to blame Hobbs - who actually read the situation right and did nothing.

Fair enough - a pretty good point. I'll have to watch it again, but my initial reaction was that there was a window of opportunity for Hobbs to make a play to break up the catch, but he took himself out of the play and gave Harrison the opportunity to make that nasty catch:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/11/05/1162786093_5905.jpg
"Marvin Harrison tipped the ball to himself for a touchdown in the third quarter."

I think the PI calls clearly affect the DBs and how they have to play the game. It's outrageous, the refs and the league will do anything which favors offense.

BradyManny2344 said:

1. I don't know the rule on this, I thought that once the receiver touches the ball they can be hit, is that correct? If so then Ellis really blew it by watching Harrison instead of unloading on him. If thats not the case then I don't see what else he could have done, the ball was thrown perfectly so that Ellis would have no chance to get at it.

2. I thought Hawkins should have dove on it as well, but even then theres no guarantee that he would have gotten it as there was a Colt on the ball a half second after he got there. Either way he did a good job being aware of the ball being out and was trying to make a big play by returning the ball for some yardage.

3. There was no way Corey could have gotten to the ball before it was intercepted, it was deflected a ways away from him directly to a Colt.

4. It's tough to tell if Gabriel pulled up but the fact that Brady said it was a stupid throw and didn't call the other INTs stupid makes me think it was just a bad throw and a really bad decision. If anything he may have been running the route and slowed up as he saw that he was covered and that the safety was in the area, then looked up to be shocked to see that Brady actually threw it. Either way he had no chance to try to knock it down.

BradyManny2344 said:
- Brady's first interception: again, Gabriel completely slowed down and just watched the Colts player make the pick. I don't care if you have to be called for offensive pass interference
I thought the same thing myself. A ten yard penalty, but you get to keep the ball.

BradyManny2344 said:

You hit the nail on the head with each of your points. Gabriel did a lame job on the interception and Hawkins should have dived on the ball. The 2005 and the 2006 Pats struggle when the opposition puts up a fight. It's like a boxer who doesn't like to box when his opponent hits back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back