PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

pats players reaction to Branch trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoostation said:
Don't say all. #12 and #93 are not.

Brady and Seymour will have to be replaceable some day. Hopefully, for Brady, its not for another 10 years. And Seymour, another 5-7.

SoonerPatriot said:
Where did I say that?
Of course you didn't say it directly but you sure suggested it :

SoonerPatriot said:
Uh, I didn't see Gabriel or Jackson catching too many balls from the league's top QB on Sunday.

Forgive me, but did anyone see these so called interviews? I mean the following line here:
The reporter quoted him comparing the Branch trade to the feeling when Lawyer Milloy was cut, but that it was "83 times worse."
83 times worse like his number :rolleyes:

I hope you guys have actually seen these interviews and aren't being had by a newbie poster.

BelichickFan said:
Of course you didn't say it directly but you sure suggested it :

Yeah, you're right. Unlike you and the OP, I don't automatically pencil in players for production they might not deliver simply because we have traded for them or drafted them. Until they actually produce, you know, on the field of play (minor detail, I know) then what they did in Oakland or what they did at U of F doesn't count for **** does it?

Last edited:
prov pat said:
I just caught the NECN segment on players reaction. Vrabel said, more or less, how devastated the team is to see Branch go but that Branch got the contract he deserved. Seymour was very upset and down about the trade. The reporter quoted him comparing the Branch trade to the feeling when Lawyer Milloy was cut, but that it was "83 times worse." He said Branch did everything anyone could ask as a Patriot. The reporter said that Belichick broke the news to the team this morning and there were a lot of upset players.

I guess this reaction is to be expected by the players - they don't want to lose their talent any more than we do. Still, don't they realize that Branch made a decision not to stand by them and the team by holding out while under contract??

I hope they don't lose their focus on the game this weekend.

I think I saw the segment you saw. Too me it didn't seem such gloom and doom. To me it was typical jock-talk. Wish he was here but we have a game this sunday, blah blah blah.

Its completely different from the Milloy situation, he was in camp the entire time and his release came out of nowhere. I think the players knew this was coming and they have been prepared for this for awhile now.

PonyExpress said:
If Seymour gives a lackluster effort next week because he is "distraught" over the departure of Minnie Mouse he should be stripped of his captaincy and it should be given to Warren.

Come now Pony - RS is a true professional, no way he mails it in. When have you ever seen RS give anything less than all he has?

The difference between Seymour and Branch is that Branch is replaceable. And guess what Deion we already drafted your replacement this year and his name is Chad Jackson.

Looks like Deion left for the green. I can't believe he backed his agents to use snake oilsman tactics just to get a bigger contract.

Sorry but don't let the door hit you on the way out. Now I hope the Seahawks finish 6-10 so we can draft in the top 10 next year with Seattle's pick. :p

fgssand said:
Come now Pony - RS is a true professional, no way he mails it in. When have you ever seen RS give anything less than all he has?
Sorry- the idea of an '03 Buffalo style debacle at the hands of "Mangina" this weekend would send me into couch potato rage.:D

PonyExpress said:
Sorry- the idea of an '03 Buffalo style debacle at the hands of "Mangina" this weekend would send me into couch potato rage.:D
LOL! You're killin me.

PonyExpress said:

No need to fear. The circumstances aren't remotely similar. First off, Milloy was an acknowledged team and clubhouse leader. They may love DB, but nobody believes his presence is close to Milloy's. Second, the Milloy cut truly came out of the blue, a true shocker that nobody saw coming. Today's trade was hardly a shock. I expect the offense to come out hitting on all cylinders against the Jets with BB making a concerted effort to get either Gabriel or Jackson actively involved.

SoonerPatriot said:
Yeah, you're right. Unlike you and the OP, I don't automatically pencil in players for production they might not deliver simply because we have traded for them or drafted them. Until they actually produce, you know, on the field of play (minor detail, I know) then what they did in Oakland or what they did at U of F doesn't count for **** does it?
Not sure who the OP is but I don't automatically pencil in production either. But Gabriel had good number in Oakland (that is the NFL even if it's the defensively challenged AFCW). Worst case on Gabriel is that he's competent because he has been before with lesser QBs. We need him to be somewhat more than just competent, hopefully he can be. But his numbers clearly show he can play.

hwc said:
I don't think Branch wanted to leave the Pats. I think his agent got him all twisted up and had him believing that his hardline approach would force the Pats to give him Marvin Harrison money.

I honestly don't think Branch understood that his refusal to negotiate and his immediate hold-out in response to legitimate offers from the Pats, and his filing of grievances would make it impossible for him to return to the Pats.

He got his money (maybe...we haven't seen the contract details), but he may not have gotten what he wanted.

I think that is what has stunned some of these players. I think they really believed Deion wanted to stay and just wanted to leverage a better deal here, and I think they were the ones relaying that sentiment to the FO which is why they let this thing drag on. If the FO believed in March that he was personally intractable they would have traded him before the 2006 draft. Someone led them to believe that it was all the agent, and I think they tried to probe Branch's resolve and eventually racheted up the pressure with the seek a trade scenario. Apparently his teamates who were also his confidants misread Deion, or he is just not the brightest bulb off the field. I think it was a little of both. But it may also be via one of them (or Deion himself) that the team came to believe the JETS offer was on the table before the permission was granted.

If they persue the tampering charge it will be not to punish the JETS so much as to open up Chayut as the agent to NFLPA sanction. Which is what Kessler was probably angling to avoid when he claimed on Felger's show today that the union remained concerned about the team talking directly to this player posing an ongoing concern for the NFLPA, and equating it to talking to someone without their lawyer present.

MoLewisrocks said:
I think that is what has stunned some of these players. I think they really believed Deion wanted to stay and just wanted to leverage a better deal here, and I think they were the ones relaying that sentiment to the FO which is why they let this thing drag on. If the FO believed in March that he was personally intractable they would have traded him before the 2006 draft. Someone led them to believe that it was all the agent, and I think they tried to probe Branch's resolve and eventually racheted up the pressure with the seek a trade scenario. Apparently his teamates who were also his confidants misread Deion, or he is just not the brightest bulb off the field. I think it was a little of both. But it may also be via one of them (or Deion himself) that the team came to believe the JETS offer was on the table before the permission was granted.

If they persue the tampering charge it will be not to punish the JETS so much as to open up Chayut as the agent to NFLPA sanction. Which is what Kessler was probably angling to avoid when he claimed on Felger's show today that the union remained concerned about the team talking directly to this player posing an ongoing concern for the NFLPA, and equating it to talking to someone without their lawyer present.

These are the most cogent, insightful comments I have read on the Branch situation in the last 6 months. 3 Cheers.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:

Well, you led with, "Uh, I didn't see Gabriel or Jackson catching too many balls from the league's top QB on Sunday."

Obvious sarcasm. The immediate retort which pops into one's mind when reading such a banality is, "Uh, they were both inactive Sunday!".

But I liked BelichikFan's response better: "Well, if they can't be active for the first game after joining the team I guess there's no hope for them :rolleyes:"

More obvious sarcasm, with a little hyperbole thrown in.

Kind of like, one good turn deserving another.

In this case, you deserved it!

I get the feeling that the person who is most depressed tonight is DB. From the Sey reaction, it seems like he had no idea this was coming, which probably means neither did DB. After yesterday's lackluster O performance, mabey DB thought he had some more leverage---who knows. This just smells like DB's agent had him in the dark the whole time--sounds like DB wanted to stay (and probably still does), but is now forced to move on becuase he hired a ****** to represent him.

Yeah Deion is going to be real depressed, with that 39 Million dollar contract... If he wanted to stay , he could have signed the deal which will equal to about the same money he will make in Seattle.. But he is gone the team is very down and out. So Dont feel sorry for Meion

mtbykr said:
I get the feeling that the person who is most depressed tonight is DB. From the Sey reaction, it seems like he had no idea this was coming, which probably means neither did DB. After yesterday's lackluster O performance, mabey DB thought he had some more leverage---who knows. This just smells like DB's agent had him in the dark the whole time--sounds like DB wanted to stay (and probably still does), but is now forced to move on becuase he hired a ****** to represent him.

It sure didn't sound like he was depressed in Borges' interview with him today in the Globe. He got exactly what he wanted.

Brady on the other hand, I'm thinking he's not in a good place right now. Givens and Branch are gone replaced with Gabriel and a rookie who isn't healthy and another guy who has been a career dissapointment. Not exactly a dream come true. The good news is he's got maybe the best 1-2 running back tandem in football right now. But that's about it.

Last edited:
BradfordPatsFan said:
Perhaps Seymour gave him the idea to holdout and told him to stick to it and get what he wants.

This sounds close to the truth. Didn't work out the way he thought though.

R

Everybody has to chill. Including the players. What's the first thing out of player's mouths when talking about cuts, trades, holdouts or whatever? That's right, it's "This is a business". More than any other sport, the NFL is a business. Big business. Just look at the Forbes rankings on the worth of the 32 NFL franchises. Even the least valuable franchise (Minnesota by their rankings) is worth right around half a BILLION dollars. The players all realize that the NFL is nothing more than a poker game between 32 billionaires and they, the players, are just chips on the table. Very well paid chips at that. Like they say in the mob, "It's not personal, it's business". So, adios Deion. The rest of the team...suck it up and get out there and do what you get paid to do. If each player doesn't understand that each game could be their last, they probably ought to find a different line of work.

Thank god I am here now after reading all of the newspaper accounts, Callahan, Borges et al... I do have to wonder the immediate effect of this trade, who will show up on Sunday?? If Jackson and Gabriel do not connect immediately or run their routes poorly, there will be crap all over the papers next week.

On one hand the Pats had no choice, but on the other find it hard to believe there is this much shock in this trade. What I find surprising is in the Borges article there is every indication the Deion was driving this, I thought the agent was trying to make a name for himself... you reap what you sow, right now I am rambling and trying to make sense of this in the big scale of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down