PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

pats players reaction to Branch trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
prov pat said:
What's interesting is the Vrabel thinks Branch got the contract he deserves - I wonder if other players agree that the front office made a low offer and thus blame the front office for losing him...don't they realize that being fiscally responsible is the key to the team's ongoing health? Aren't they collectively better off on a team that speads the money around more equally than a team with a few super high paid stars??

I think the issue that the players are going to have issues with is the fact that the team is something like $15 million under the cap.

Sounds like team turmoil again, strum up the 2003 tapes....

PatsRI said:
That's the thing that's funny to me though. Sey and Branch are supposed to be good friends and he sounded surprised it came to this. Wasn't this what Deion has been angling toward for weeks? How did it shock him unless they didn't talk about what was going on?

Perhaps Seymour gave him the idea to holdout and told him to stick to it and get what he wants. Seymour stuck it out and got it done. However, the difference is that Sey's contract dispute was handled privately and everyone won in the end. Branch's agent is likely the reason that this went the way it did.

When Holley writes "Patriot Reign II", I look forward to reading what really happened.

RI Pats Fan said:
They're all replaceable cogs anyways. They dare not stand up to Piolichick

Don't say all. #12 and #93 are not.

Well we are DONE...I'll be surprised if they show up ready to play the next game. I'll be surprised if we win 5 games this year. These players minds are in another place.

PYPER said:
I think the issue that the players are going to have issues with is the fact that the team is something like $15 million under the cap.
The Patriots would happily dish out a lot of that money a year ahead to Koppen, Samuel and Graham but only for a fair price - which is a little below market value as they're getting it a year early. If the players hold out for the absolute max, the money won't be spent. But there's plenty to be dished out if they want it.

DefenseRules said:
Well we are DONE...I'll be surprised if they show up ready to play the next game. I'll be surprised if we win 5 games this year. These players minds are in another place.
No, LPF, your mind is in another place - go get some sleep :D

BelichickFan said:
No, LPF, your mind is in another place - go get some sleep :D

B, the last time something like this happened, we lost 31-0. These guys sound sad and depressed.

PYPER said:
That salary cap figure is somewhat misleading because we don't exactly know what the New England Patriots are paying Richard Seymour this season.

http://www.patscap.com/

Last edited:
PatsRI said:
That's the thing that's funny to me though. Sey and Branch are supposed to be good friends and he sounded surprised it came to this. Wasn't this what Deion has been angling toward for weeks? How did it shock him unless they didn't talk about what was going on?

I don't think Branch wanted to leave the Pats. I think his agent got him all twisted up and had him believing that his hardline approach would force the Pats to give him Marvin Harrison money.

I honestly don't think Branch understood that his refusal to negotiate and his immediate hold-out in response to legitimate offers from the Pats, and his filing of grievances would make it impossible for him to return to the Pats.

He got his money (maybe...we haven't seen the contract details), but he may not have gotten what he wanted.

Not what I expected. I was figuring we'd hear the usual "It's a business' type stuff. Odd, no? Then again, they ARE players, they have a different perspective than you or I. Weird though.

DefenseRules said:
These guys sound sad and depressed.

I bet that Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel, and Reche Caldwell aren't "sad and depressed". They just got playing time, catching balls from the league's top QB.

hwc said:
I bet that Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel, and Reche Caldwell aren't "sad and depressed". They just got playing time, catching balls from the league's top QB.

Uh, I didn't see Gabriel or Jackson catching too many balls from the league's top QB on Sunday.

SoonerPatriot said:
Uh, I didn't see Gabriel or Jackson catching too many balls from the league's top QB on Sunday.

Well, I'm fairly certain that won't be the story every week.

Bella*chick said:
Well, I'm fairly certain that won't be the story every week.

One would certainly hope so. But until they do play, it's sh!t in one hand wish in the other.

SoonerPatriot said:
Well, if they can't be active for the first game after joining the team I guess there's no hope for them :rolleyes:

DefenseRules said:
B, the last time something like this happened, we lost 31-0. These guys sound sad and depressed.
They're a much more seasoned and veteran group now than in 2001.

BelichickFan said:
Well, if they can't be active for the first game after joining the team I guess there's no hope for them :rolleyes:

Where did I say that?

If Seymour gives a lackluster effort next week because he is "distraught" over the departure of Minnie Mouse he should be stripped of his captaincy and it should be given to Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes