Pats players comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

LB Mike Vrabel
On if the defense was tired at the end, and how field conditions played a factor
"I don?t think we played smart. Once we realized what they were doing early in the game with the weather conditions and the field, coaches and players need to make adjustments. Obviously it has an effect on the way it?s played, but not the outcome. You have to look at it and do certain things like run it inside and throw the ball short. You have to take into consideration the field in any game."

DE Richard Seymour
On not playing all the defensive snaps
?We were getting guys reps. That was kind of the game-plan going into it. I just go when my number is called. I don?t say when I go in and come out. We have coaches who tell us some of those rotations. We leave it up to them. Obviously you don?t always agree with everything that goes on, but you respect it. But you definitely don?t have to agree with everything.?
i hope these are just stupid post game frustrations and not something of a bigger issue

I am not sure what you are talking about? None of that seems out of place or out of character.

SVN said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

i hope these are just stupid post game frustrations and not something of a bigger issue
I don't think there is a mutiny in the lockerroom, but I do think they have a ring of truth. Wilfork is essentially in the entire game, but you take out Seymour, your highest paid player, quite a bit? I can see if he is hurt.

These are two experienced guys who are speaking. Remember Vrabel is said to be the smartest football player on the field. Granted he is criticizing the offense, but they deserve it.

The one thing I dont get is I'm watching all these other games and I'm seeing wr's totally open, even on the bad teams. I think some of their passing plays are inherently flawed or totally not being executed correctly. They need to start confusing opposing defenses so they create blown coverage opportunities.

I think Seymour and Vrabel are right and are subtlely giving their opinion.

I'm not sure I fully understand the Vrabel quote...

"Obviously it has an effect on the way it?s played, but not the outcome. You have to look at it and do certain things like run it inside and throw the ball short. You have to take into consideration the field in any game."

Whose offense is Vrabel talking about? Is he taking a shot at the D for not being able to react to the Jets offense or a shot at the NE offense for not being able to adjust to the field?

mgcolby said:
I am not sure what you are talking about? None of that seems out of place or out of character.
apologize ..maybe i understood it wrong ..i thought vrabel was talking about our offense needing to make adjustments to throw the ball short and run inside, i guess he was talking about jets...not sure why

SVN said:
apologize ..maybe i understood it wrong ..i thought vrabel was talking about our offense needing to make adjustments to throw the ball short and run inside, i guess he was talking about jets...not sure why

No reason for apologies. I actually read it the same way you did. I think he was talking about our offense. But I don't think our offense and defense seperate themselves the way most teams do. I wasn't being argumentitive I just didn't see the comments as something that was controversial.

It looks like there's some dissension in the ranks. Mankins brought up bad coaching last week. Now two other players are making thinly veiled accusations at the coaching staff.

"Getting players reps" was the plan???? WTF! Did the Pats think they could just put on their home blues and sleepwalk through this game?

I'm with NEM on this one...McDaniels has to go. Or learn how to call plays in the NFL.

mgcolby said:
No reason for apologies. I actually read it the same way you did. I think he was talking about our offense. But I don't think our offense and defense seperate themselves the way most teams do. I wasn't being argumentitive I just didn't see the comments as something that was controversial.
not controversial but this team always gives credit to the other team and the players own up to their play and in both cases the vrable and seymour seemed to kinda say "We just did what we are told to do" Agree the coaches are ultimately responsible for the game plan and play calls but seymour wasnt very effective today in the first place and our defense as whole missed a lot of tackles...BB's philosphy has always been to "Do your job"...i think vrabel should worry about the defense...and so should troy brown about offense when he talks about the D unable to stop the jets...thats uncharacteristic.....

maybe we shoudl try the minn game plan to open games...go 4/5 wide no huddle..see if brady can establish a rhythm...seems like we always start effectively -move the ball to midfield - and then try a long ball..and put ourselves in 3rd and long..

mgcolby said:

For this team those comments are about as controversial as it gets.

Thing is Vrabel had one assist all night. Perhaps he's blaming that on the way the defense was being called - that we weren't taking away what the JETS were obviously going to have to do given the weather conditions.

Seymour was ineffective all night long. He had one more assist than Vrabel. Maybe he went out for rotation on a shorthanded D, or maybe they took him out and tried someone else to see if that would raise the level of effectiveness. Maybe it was the calls, maybe it was the players.

Troy pointing a finger is even further out of character. What he said is true, but that it came down to that is not entirely the D's fault either. Had we scored in the first quarter instead of fumbled, or been able to pound it in when we were inside the 5 and forced to settle for a FG...

You can add to that Tom not falling on his sword for once and conclude...

There are some teeny, tiny cracks forming in the foundation. Reminicent of 2005, only then it was primarily defenders grousing. Tonight they were facing a team coached by the guy they were grousing about last season. Players who feel they give their all may be starting to resent the lack of functional talent and/or game plans they feel are oblivious to it and set them up to fail. And getting tired of hearing we need to play and coach better.

oldskool138 said:
It looks like there's some dissension in the ranks. Mankins brought up bad coaching last week. Now two other players are making thinly veiled accusations at the coaching staff.

"Getting players reps" was the plan???? WTF! Did the Pats think they could just put on their home blues and sleepwalk through this game?

I'm with NEM on this one...McDaniels has to go. Or learn how to call plays in the NFL.

I mentioned weeks ago that the Pats looked like they were using the early season as an extended pre season. Thats fine when they were winning, BUT I think this has gone on long enough. Trying guys out in different positions, plays working early then going away from them, benching Dillon and Gabriel after they showed they could break the backs of the Jets, sending guys in and out all day, playing "down and distance" ball regardless of game situation, field conditions, or personnel substitutions, making no adjustments during the game to take away what they've seen or to exploit what they've seen....thats what you do in pre-season. The coaches lost this game. Period. No excuses. No passing the buck. The coaches sent them in with a pre-season game plan and they got their ***es kicked.

MoLewisrocks said:

Thing is Vrabel had one assist all night. Perhaps he's blaming that on the way the defense was being called - that we weren't taking away what the JETS were obviously going to have to do given the weather conditions.

Seymour was ineffective all night long. He had one more assist than Vrabel. Maybe he went out for rotation on a shorthanded D, or maybe they took him out and tried someone else to see if that would raise the level of effectiveness. Maybe it was the calls, maybe it was the players.

Troy pointing a finger is even further out of character. What he said is true, but that it came down to that is not entirely the D's fault either. Had we scored in the first quarter instead of fumbled, or been able to pound it in when we were inside the 5 and forced to settle for a FG...

There are some teeny, tiny cracks forming in the foundation. Reminicent of 2005, only then it was primarily defenders grousing. Tonight they were facing a team coached by the guy they were grousing about last season. Players who feel they give their all may be starting to resent the lack of functional talent and/or game plans they feel are oblivious to it and set them up to fail. And getting tired of hearing we need to play and coach better.

It does seem very out of charatcter for this team and makes me wonder if the players are starting to resent certain aspects of the system or the coaching style. Hopefully that is not the case. More likely they were just blowing off steam and pointing out obvious flaws in their game.

I have found the game plan to be discouraging these last couple weeks, but I am not qualified to make those calls. I would tend to run the ball when the QB struggles.

The part about swapping guys in and out may be upsetting some of the players, but I would think that would be mostly on offense. Seymour is injuried, so I don't think that should be a big deal.

The thing is, they were both close losses, and it would be a shame to think that this team has so little character that they are going to start griping after a 6-3 start. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.

Hopefully the players don't think the sky is falling just yet! :D

MoLewisrocks said:

Interesting take Mo.

But I don't think that this "team" is cracking, yet. There are to many guys left on this team that have won. Three losses won't deter me. Today was a dumb loss, count it with the Miami game of 04 but in no way does this game mean doom to me.

Earlier I came up with one thought that made me feel better - In 03 and 04 the Pats just methodically marched on, in 05 they faced adversity with some questionable guys and won without them. Last year they had their annual 5 turnover game against Denver in the playoffs. This year they are winning but they need to find themselves. Maybe the losses force the recievers to spend some extra time with Brady. If we flirt with five losses I will be petrified. Right now I think this team just needs to focus and push forward. Thanksgiving weakend is what count's and that is two weeks away and we know who we are playing.

Remember it isn't who is playing best in October, it is who is playing best in January!

SVN said:
here is more from troy brown..kinda surprising
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261112017

I think you're all reaching for some negative quotes. Troy referred only to the end of the game sequence.

Obviously, they had to use the time outs on defense because they couldn't stop them from getting a couple of 1st downs.

Really just stating the obvious there.

I hope they're not happy with the last two weeks, but you're really reaching to see a mutiny here. Pats vets have always been truthful and the truth ain't so good right now.

It seems that the coaching is a little off, on all aspects of the game, although I am a BB apologist, have to take a look at Pees and McDaniels.. I am not sophisticated enough to understand the subleties, but after the Indy game there are some obvious deficits and poor adjustments. Yesterday it looked more like execution than anything else. Brady is off, there are no really big plays on Defense, is it the players or is it coaching???

SVN said:
maybe we shoudl try the minn game plan to open games...go 4/5 wide no huddle..see if brady can establish a rhythm...seems like we always start effectively -move the ball to midfield - and then try a long ball..and put ourselves in 3rd and long..
the field sucks

"This team hates its coach," 2006 edition.

Relax. I hear some frustration too... last week Brady said "neither team played very well," after the Colts game. While true, it's not something he really should have said, per the party line. I've also heard him talking about turf being better than the "sand pit" the Pats play in.

There's some whininess going on. I think we're in a rough patch, and it's going to get rougher. I think we win next week, but -- oh oh -- the Jets might too, against Chicago (though I doubt it.) After our game against Chicago, which I think we lose, it's gut-check time. Preferably, it would be right now. But I'm not sure that's going to happen, given some of the attitude issues.

I can see anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4... some guys still say 13-3. It would be a nice surprise.

It's a long season, and I think we're in its uglier days.

A lot of frustration right now, agreed. And I see it coming out in the players too. But this is pretty understated stuff.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots