PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats place C Dan Koppen on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why 10-12 weeks is too long? We kept Fred Taylor around longer when we apparently didn't need him at all, did he even get a single meaningful carry after he returned. Obviously BB must feel confident in Connolly, but given our interior OL depth I'm quite curious here.

I don't get why 10-12 weeks is too long? We kept Fred Taylor around longer when we apparently didn't need him at all, did he even get a single meaningful carry after he returned. Obviously BB must feel confident in Connolly, but given our interior OL depth I'm quite curious here.

Paul Perillo was just on the radio. He put it down to probably being a situation where the team was going to try carrying Koppen until the rash of injuries this past week made that impossible.

Isn't Koppen one of the most criticized players around here. Why are people acting like we just lost John Hannah?

Sucks for Koppen, but I think we'll be OK.

Paul Perillo was just on the radio. He put it down to probably being a situation where the team was going to try carrying Koppen until the rash of injuries this past week made that impossible.

Makes sense. Already had to sign another DL and might have to sign another TE depending on the severity of Hernandez

I wonder if Chris Morris has returned to health. I don't get the warm & fuzzies with a potentially good but currently inexperienced Donald Thomas & most esp. Wendell (healthy or injured) as our interior backups.

I had high hopes the NFL would have corrected some of their asinine roster rules in the CBA negotiations, but, my guess is things like in-season injured reserve got bunched in with the 18-game schedule and were not addressed separate from that issue.

Dan Koppen's season is over despite the prognosis being he'd be able to play the last 4 games and in the playoffs. Last year the Packers had players on IR who could have played down the stretch and in the playoffs. How does it make sense when healthy players can't come back to play? It hurts the quality of play on the field, and it doesn't make much business sense either. Koppen's salary is $2.9 million. If he'd be able to play the last 4 games, then the Pats are basically being made to waste $750,000 which is what Koppen would have earned in those games.

There are a lot of brilliant minds running the NFL, and I don't get why they don't see this. Maybe, teams would hoard a player or two with phoney injuries but so what. Isn't it better that good players can play when they're healthy?

They should allow a 4-week in season injured reserve, or, even better, they should lift restrictions on practice squad players allowing teams to activate them to the 46 man active roster on a game by game basis without being subjected to waivers and eliminating the criteria concerning who can be placed on the squad. All of those players are essentially free agents so why the restrictions? If Gerard Warren wanted to earn $9,000 a week being on the practice squad rather than being home making nothing, why shouldn't he be allowed to do it?.

Sorry for the rambling but this is one of my pet peeves. Right up there with being in the empty backfield formation when it's 3rd and two.

:bricks:i

Isn't Koppen one of the most criticized players around here. Why are people acting like we just lost John Hannah?

Sucks for Koppen, but I think we'll be OK.

Indeed, Connolly and Koppen are actually very similar players. Both are fairly agile and effective second level blockers, and both lack great strength and can be overpowered at times. I graded Connolly higher than Koppen last year, but they're very close. It seems Connolly can make the shotgun snaps, and he survived being targeted this last game, so we should be OK there.

One interesting further thing to watch for is the quality of the line calls: Connolly and Koppen often seemed to not be entirely on the same page last year. I had been assuming that was Connolly's fault, but Koppen's calls/coordination have been suspect in the past as well (Superbowl comes to mind).

Ouch.

Two weeks.
Wright looks out.
Koppen and Pryor to IR.
Hernandez out for a while.

Not quite Kansas City, but some big losses quickly.

Too bad about Koppen. I hope his career with the Patriots doesn't end on IR.

Many of us salivated at those top Centers available as udfa's - O'Dowd, Bartholomew, Barnes, Kowalski, Kirkpatrick. One of those would look nice providing depth now. I wonder if any are available.

Let's hope at least Wendell's calf is better.

On Pryor - maybe a call to Warren if he is still available. Pryor was playing very well.

I know that O'Dowd is available.

I said this from the BEGINING. No way do you hold a spot open for a dude that is out 8-10-12 weeks. I must not know Football:confused:

I am pissed @ all these current injuries Pryor gone for yr. Mesko? Chung? Ras? Koppen

we CANNOT afford more injuries For PHUCK Sakes

in closing... Rodney Dangerfield - Stand Up - His Funniest Jokes! - YouTube

I have nailed a few things that others have downplayed. Ie. Crump ie. Koppen

Be carefull!

Trust me, the season is long and at this rate you're likely to dislocate both shoulders patting yourself on the back all the time.

Aside from the previous responses about the Pats not being able to afford to use up that roster spot due to all the injuries at other positions that required replacements, it is also possible that Belichick considered the Taylor situation and learned from his mistake - that it made more sense to use that roster spot on a player that can contribute now rather than rolling the dice on an injured player maybe/maybe not being productive several weeks from now.

As for the in-season disabled list debate, the way I see it the league already has one: it is the seven roster spots known as inactive on game day.

I had high hopes the NFL would have corrected some of their asinine roster rules in the CBA negotiations, but, my guess is things like in-season injured reserve got bunched in with the 18-game schedule and were not addressed separate from that issue.

Dan Koppen's season is over despite the prognosis being he'd be able to play the last 4 games and in the playoffs. Last year the Packers had players on IR who could have played down the stretch and in the playoffs. How does it make sense when healthy players can't come back to play? It hurts the quality of play on the field, and it doesn't make much business sense either. Koppen's salary is $2.9 million. If he'd be able to play the last 4 games, then the Pats are basically being made to waste $750,000 which is what Koppen would have earned in those games.

There are a lot of brilliant minds running the NFL, and I don't get why they don't see this. Maybe, teams would hoard a player or two with phoney injuries but so what. Isn't it better that good players can play when they're healthy?

They should allow a 4-week in season injured reserve, or, even better, they should lift restrictions on practice squad players allowing teams to activate them to the 46 man active roster on a game by game basis without being subjected to waivers and eliminating the criteria concerning who can be placed on the squad. All of those players are essentially free agents so why the restrictions? If Gerard Warren wanted to earn $9,000 a week being on the practice squad rather than being home making nothing, why shouldn't he be allowed to do it?.

Sorry for the rambling but this is one of my pet peeves. Right up there with being in the empty backfield formation when it's 3rd and two.

:bricks:i

I've thought the exact same way for years, and I esp. agree w/ your take on the stupidity
of the empty backfield/shotgun on 3rd/2.

I know its a homeristic approach, but Rob made a good point. Koppen had been criticized previously and is 3 years older than Connolly. Connolly has been playing well the last 2 weeks.

Most likely it is a minor downgrade, with the chance of Connolly being a better center than Koppen at this point. Depth hurts now though.

Last edited:
How did you "nail" Crump? You said that Lee Smith would make the team, a bunch of others said that Crump would make the team, and ultimately we were all wrong.

I did not say he would make the team I said he is the guy that will likely takeover if he does well in camp and how an INJURED Crump was a USELESS spot and talent when compared to a much younger and cheaper Smith. Did you forget Old Balls??? I did drop that term a lot :)

Crump was gone and was cut was he not?:) Lee had his shot and failed that is not my fault.:cool: Crump was kicked to the curb to give a much younger option a chance :) Crump was expendable. :) Lee just did not work out and neither did Yeatmen

Last edited:
I did not say he would make the team I said he is the guy that will likely takeover if he does well in camp and how an INJURED Crump was a USELESS spot and talent when compared to a much younger and cheaper Smith. Did you forget Old Balls??? I did drop that term a lot :)

Crump was gone was cut was he not?:) Lee had his shot and failed that is not my fault.:cool: Crump was kicked to the curb to give a much younger option a chance :) Crump was expendable. :) Lee just did not work out and neither did Yeatmen

gotta figure slater gone

Ras Al Ghul, TCU DB, Smith the new additions on ST.

4 TE's means 1 less RB and or 1 less WR

welker
Branch
Tate
Price
Edelman

Gronk
Hernandez
Crump
Smith

Woody
Lawfirm
Vareen
New guy

all seem locks

who is out from that group?:eek:

that looks very heavy

And then there's the thread where you continued with the Smith stuff and told us that Light wasn't going to be back:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/770936-lee-smith-conundrum.html

Good stuff

Like some have mentioned. Hopefully this is a slight indicator that Cannon is getting better and can back up the G spot after week 6.

I am pretty worried about our Offensive line. I think we need a center stat!

And then there's the thread where you continued with the Smith stuff and told us that Light wasn't going to be back:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/770936-lee-smith-conundrum.html

Good stuff

plz quote the many nice things I said about Crump and his worth(bahaha). It is hard to predict a Rookies impact. For most of you guys Keeping Crump was a very easy decision b/c he was a "VETERAN" and "Locker Room Leader"

clearly the Crump side is more wrong... I at least predicted him being CUT :)

End of the day Crump was RELEASED and Smith was claimed off of our PS.

Crump gone 100% right by me.
Me saying Smith was a Lock was a foolish comment especially in a shortened off-season. Lets evaluate the scenario... Who LEFT this Team 1st via Release?:confused:

who left the squad 1st?

I was wrong about Light... we were LUCKY this was a short off season or he would surely be GONE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back