PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Pickup Freddie Roach ILB

Status
Not open for further replies.
woo i like this kid..watched him a few times too .. hard hitter

I know this is completely meaningless but... that's a name I could root for easily.

Roach projects as a 2 down run-stuffing ILB.

he runs a 5.01? That's really slow for an ILB, right?

DaBruinz said:
Roach projects as a 2 down run-stuffing ILB.
Hopfully he can develop into a TJ type. If Vrabel goes back outside, I wonder if anyone can play Phifer's ILB coverage role. Beisel ? Claridge ?

By the way, this *might* prove something that was on my mind earlier today. It is that when Bellichick stated there is good depth at LB this year, he could have meant that he could find good value in the undrafted pool.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=8618&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport

ROACHF_MUG05_ML150.JPG
FREDDIE-ROACH2200.JPG

Freddie Roach

Linebacker

Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 239 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
High School: Brooks
Hometown: Killen, AL
40 time: 4.7 seconds

Frank Coyle: He has a good combination of size, toughness, instincts and initial quickness to make a roster as a run stuffer, but little else. Fifth- or sixth-round pick.

Scouting Report:

Pros: Aggressive, steady inside ‘backer who has been a productive part of the tough Tide defense over the past four seasons. He is best suited for the inside in either scheme where his tackling ability between the tackles may earn him some playing time. In run support, he is a big hitter who has forced many fumbles during his career. He is versatile, having played all three LB positions, though his marginal speed probably limits him to the inside. He has good size and toughness to play the middle and can fill the hole quickly and destroy blocking schemes.

Cons: He is a one-dimensional defender who probably is limited to being a two-down performer. He needs further development in pass coverage and matching up vs. running backs, tight ends and H-backs. He has had surgery on his right knee that is a minor concern and has certainly affected his overall speed. In pass coverage, he is limited to the shorter zones and is vulnerable in matchups with backs or TE. His marginal speed makes him questionable on kick coverage units, which could limit him as a special teams player.

Numbers: As a senior, he made 66 tackles with 2.5 tackles for loss and nine passes defended. At the Combine, he ran a 4.93 with a 34-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump. At the Alabama pro day, he ran 4.87 and did 18 reps.

Skinny: He has a good combination of size, toughness, instincts and initial quickness to make a roster as a run stuffer, but little else. Fifth- or sixth-round pick.

Plus, if somebody blocks him while he's turning around, we get to hear John Madden say "that was a Roach clip is what you'd call that haw haw haw haw."

There's some impressive video here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=2

Search for Freddie Roach and you'll find him and his video highlights.
He's a hard hitter. I"m nto saying he's a superstar, but he's someone who could make the team and make a difference. And then from there, who knows.

Gon_Trevil said:
I know this is completely meaningless but... that's a name I could root for easily.

If him and Bruschi ever start inside together it will sound like a damn fine friday night to me.

some sites say hes 255 not 239

Remix 6 said:
some sites say hes 255 not 239
257 at his pro day and at the combine. 40s were 4.87 and 4.93. Just a touch faster than Parham ;)

Remix 6 said:
woo i like this kid..watched him a few times too .. hard hitter
Yeah, he was one LB I hoped we draft. I think he may have a better chance of sticking on hte 53 than Andrews and Stevenson if he can play at all. He needn't be fast or good in coverage. He just has to be Ted Johnson, a bull who can take on Cs and OGs and grab the runner. He can come out in passing situations just like Johnson did.

the video impressed me..big hitter..around ball.

The one word that pops up over and over again in profiles of Roach is "smart." For a Pats ILB, that's a great place to start.

BelichickFan said:
Hopfully he can develop into a TJ type.

Yes, let's hope it's Ted Johnson and not TJ Turner. (Okay, that's only funny if you know pats draft history... I couldn't resist....)

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has NFL height and bulk. Is versatile; can play inside or outside. Plays with good technique. Holds ground at the point of attack. Is strong; sheds blocks quickly to pop ball carriers. Sees the field well and shows great instincts. Shows quick footwork and a nice burst on blitzes. Has great toughness, character and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite speed and athleticism. Doesn't change direction quickly; can be a liability against play-action and lacks range in coverage. Sometimes looks stiff. Doesn't make big plays.

Bottom line: Roach played both middle and weakside linebacker for the Crimson Tide and was a three-year starter. A hard hitter who has worked hard to improve his game, he has the attitude, skills and intangibles needed to be a solid NFL defender. He offers added value on special teams. He should be selected in the middle or end of Round 6.

Dan Pompei analysis
Aware player finds the ball and takes good angles. Excels at tackling. Is a big run stuffer, strong at the point of attack. Lacks good speed and sideline-to-sideline range. Strictly is a two-down player.
No. 15 on Pompei's ILB rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye