PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS PICKER 2012 - now live

Cutting Mallett? We would go into 2013 with no returning backup QBs.
I don't see any chance of keeping 2 FBs. 1 isn't going to get a ton of snaps. Can't play special teams from inactive list.
You are light on OL if you PUP Mankings.
Cutting Koppen? Interesting.

Oops, don't know where Mallett went. Add him at the expense of a FB, then.
As for Koppen, I think he has to be the starting center to make the roster. If he doesn't beat out Connolly (which is what I have happening), then the versatility and youth of Wendell and McDonald knock Koppen off the roster completely. But if Mankins is PUPed, than add Koppen even if he's a backup.

BTW, is there any way to move a player from one tab to another? E.g. Slater to the ST column? (Or should I just recreate him from scratch there?)

You can drag them anywhere on the page.

Cole doesnt have to be the best corner out of the group on the bubble, he has to be the best special teamer. Call him special teamer who happens to be a corner if he ever plays D if thats better.

I hear you, Andy.

ST players are always a must, as much as some discount their importance in regards to the # that make the final roster; as I have also done in the past.

Cole may make the team, he's got as good as chance as some of the others.

I'll stay with my prediction, but it will be a good competition.

Did you read the roster I posited?
McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Denard, Cole are the corners.
Cole makes the team on special teams.
I have Allen being cut, but I would have him ahead of Moore too.
I'm not sure where all these positive feelings about Moore are coming from.

Ebner on ST makes Cole expendable.

We need more than 1 or 2 special teamers

But we need to look at specific positions on special teams, Slater and Ebner will be the gunners.

But we need to look at specific positions on special teams, Slater and Ebner will be the gunners.

Well first, Ebner has never played an NFL game, and Cole is an established s/t stud.
Second, Cole can actually take the field on D.
And, third, you need more than 2 DBs playing special teams.

Well first, Ebner has never played an NFL game, and Cole is an established s/t stud.
Second, Cole can actually take the field on D.
And, third, you need more than 2 DBs playing special teams.

Altho way too early to speculate...It filled a few minutes of my morning thinking about the Patriots :) THANKS !!

QB (3) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer
RB (5) Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden, Tony Fiammetta
WR (6) Brandon Lloyd, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman
TE (3) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells
C (2) Dan Koppen, Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Dan Connolly, Robert Gallery
T (3) Sebastian Vollmer, Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon
DE (4) Jonathan Fanene, Jake Bequette, Chandler Jones, Brandon Deaderick
DT (4) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Myron Pryor, Gerard Warren
ILB(5) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, Tracy White, Donta Hightower
OLB(2) Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham
CB (5) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Alfonzo Dennard, Marquice Cole
SS (2) Patrick Chung, Josh Barrett
FS (2) Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2012

QB (3) Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett
RB (4) Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Spencer Larsen
WR (6) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Julian Edelman, Deion Branch, Matthew Slater
C (3) Dan Connolly, Dan Koppen, Ryan Wendell
G (3) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Robert Gallery
DE (5) Brandon Deaderick, Jonathan Fanene, Chandler Jones, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott
DT (4) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Gerard Warren, Myron Pryor
ILB(5) Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Dane Fletcher, Tracy White, Jeff Tarpinian
OLB(2) Rob Ninkovich, Jerod Mayo
CB (5) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore
SS (2) Patrick Chung, Josh Barrett
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko

At RB, Pats certainly have focused on FB, and signed Larsen to a significant deal.
I can't see going with seven WR, so lot's or hard cuts there.
Also can't see going with only eight OL - too many injuries.
The definitions of DE, OLB, and ILB are hazy on this defense. Scott, Jones, Bequette, Mayo, and Hightower all could be categorized in two different roles.

ST would include:
RB Vereen, FB Larsen, WR Edelman, WR Slater, C Wendell, LB Fletcher, LB White, LB Tarpinian, CB Dennard, S Wilson, S Barrett

QB (3) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer
RB (5) Danny Woodhead, Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Tony Fiammetta
WR (6) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Deion Branch, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman
C (2) Dan Koppen, Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Dan Connolly, Robert Gallery
DE (5) Chandler Jones, Brandon Deaderick, Jonathan Fanene, Trevor Scott, Jake Bequette
DT (4) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Gerard Warren, Myron Pryor
ILB(4) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Dane Fletcher
OLB(2) Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham
CB (5) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Alfonzo Dennard, Sterling Moore, Kyle Arrington
SS (2) Steve Gregory, Sergio Brown
FS (2) Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

A new day, a new attempt.

QB (3) Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett
RB (4) Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Spencer Larsen
WR (6) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Anthony Gonzalez
C (2) Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Robert Gallery, Donald Thomas
T (3) Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon
DE (5) Chandler Jones, Jonathan Fanene, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott, Brandon Deaderick
DT (3) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Gerard Warren
ILB(4) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Dane Fletcher
OLB(4) Rob Ninkovich, Markell Carter, Tracy White, Bobby Carpenter
CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Will Allen, Alfonzo Dennard, Marquice Cole
SS (1) Patrick Chung
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

Did you read the roster I posited?
McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Denard, Cole are the corners.
Cole makes the team on special teams.
I have Allen being cut, but I would have him ahead of Moore too.
I'm not sure where all these positive feelings about Moore are coming from.

I did read it and I think you are off base having Cole and Allen over Moore.

Of course if Moore has a lousy camp he'll be sent home.

If he has the same camp as Allen and Cole, Moore will stay. He played well down the stretch and if BB didn't think he could make plays on D, he would not have played him the number of snaps he got down the stretch.

Last edited:
I did read it and I think you are off base having Cole and Allen over Moore.

Of course if Moore has a lousy camp he'll be sent home.

If he has the same camp as Allen and Cole, Moore will stay. He played well down the stretch and if BB didn't think he could make plays on D, he would not have played him the number of snaps he got down the stretch.

Or he played him because he was all he had. Who was the alternative?
The next guy in line was a WR,
I agree Moore proved that BB felt he was better than Edelman.
With McCourty, Dowling and Arrington, Moore is competing with Dennard and Allen as the 4th corner. If Dennards head is straight there is no question who has more talent. Allen is a quality NFL corner, if he hasn't lost to much. Moore has not show that yet. Then he comes for a special teams spot, and Cole is well ahead.
Moore couldn't make the Raiders, even their ps, then was cut by BB before he was brought back in desperation. He was beaten on many plays after that when pressed into action.

Or he played him because he was all he had. Who was the alternative?
The next guy in line was a WR,
I agree Moore proved that BB felt he was better than Edelman.
With McCourty, Dowling and Arrington, Moore is competing with Dennard and Allen as the 4th corner.

Agree completely that if Dennard plays up to his ability and has his head on straight, he is a vastly superior to Moore talent-wise.

Agree on Cole as being superior STer to Moore.

I'm just not high on Allen as I think hes at the end of the line.

Moore couldn't make the Raiders, even their ps, then was cut by BB before he was brought back in desperation. He was beaten on many plays after that when pressed into action.

True but he also made some very good plays. He certainly isn't a starter but spot duty or as a dime DB I think is a good role for him.

You may be right, if Cole shows the same level of skill in coverage as Moore he might be on the outside looking in.

With that said, it would not surprise me if BB kept 7 CB-types on the roster.

Last edited:
Here we go with the Moore bashing, yet on your roster, you keep the big 3 in wastes of space; Brace, Cunningham, and Barrett, as well as having 0 UDFAs make the team.

This is what I don't understand. Why do you award 3 valuable roster spots to these stiffs and not Moore or the best UDFA?

Hell you have freakin Nate Ebner over Moore.

Last edited:
Agree completely that if Dennard plays up to his ability and has his head on straight, he is a vastly superior to Moore talent-wise.

Agree on Cole as being superior STer to Moore.

I'm just not high on Allen as I think hes at the end of the line.
I don't have Allen making the team either.

True but he also made some very good plays. He certainly isn't a starter but spot duty or as a dime DB I think is a good role for him.

You may be right, if Cole shows the same level of skill in coverage as Moore he might be on the outside looking in.

With that said, it would not surprise me if BB kept 6 CB-types on the roster.
Cole doesnt need to beat him out as a corner to beat him out for a roster spot.
You were much more impressed than me by Moore. To me he looked like a guy who had been cut numerous times and was hanging on for a job. Even guys who can't make teams can make some plays, so I don't see it as if you do anything at all its good. He was very below average compared to NFL corners who play, in my opinion, while it seems you think I am saying entirely incomeptant.
6 is a huge # of corners. I'm not sure we have ever done that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go with the Moore bashing, yet on your roster, you keep the big 3 in wastes of space; Brace, Cunningham, and Barrett, as well as having 0 UDFAs make the team.

This is what I don't understand. Why do you award 3 valuable roster spots to these stiffs and not Moore or the best UDFA?

Hell you have freakin Nate Ebner over Moore.

Why is it bashing that I think the guy who got cut a bunch of times isn't a quality player?
Ebner makes the team on special teams. That doesn't mean I consider him a better db.

Who beats out Brace at DL?
Cunningham was a full time stater as a rookie and played well. Being injured and not a great fit for the scheme we used last year makes him a waste of space?
Who beats out Barrett at S?

How could I predict UDFAs to make the team before they have put on a Patriot issued jockstrap?

You seem to be doingthis exercise based upon emotion.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back