PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Pick david thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
14thDragon said:
Preach on brother Shirtsleeve. I prefer 3-0 wins to 31-28 wins.

Hard nosed crushing defense allowed us to punnishing the opposition into submission. Bending at times, but never breaking. Extinguishing hope, instilling desperate fear into opposing offenses causing them to make mistakes. The defense was where the teamed started and stopped.

I do not like this regression to an offense first team.

What stopped the unstoppable 2004 Colts offense? The defense, I guess, but it was an offense that could grind clock.

Key components to a clock grinding offense? RBs and TEs to dump off the ball to.

shirtsleeve said:
Amen, brother Dragon, Amen.

I know. Having weapons for the best QB in the NFL. What kind of strategy is that?

You know, if the defense was bad, you might have a point. But it isn't. So you don't.

shirtsleeve said:
Finally a true hard hitting blue collar team concerned more with fundamentals than highlights. And we won championships. No it wasn't pretty or exciting or flashy. It was a flesh eating, clock killing, football machine, grinding out win after win. A true thing of beauty. I dont want flashy or exciting.

Even a blue collar team has to have WRs, TEs, and RBs. A backup RB might not have been the most important thing we needed for next year but it doesn't hurt considering the injuries the Pats suffered at that position.

A WR was probably the most needed thing the Pats had to get out of this draft. I won't be surprised if they take another one tomorrow.

And a third TE was also a necessity to protect them this year and next year if Graham isn't resigned.

These are players they had to have to win games this year and next. How are you going to grind out games if you have no one to run or catch the ball?

groundgame said:
Pro Football Weekly had him as a 4th or 5th rounder.

Given the Pats needs, he is a reach in the 3rd round.

Burgess said:
Even a blue collar team has to have WRs, TEs, and RBs. A backup RB might not have been the most important thing we needed for next year but it doesn't hurt considering the injuries the Pats suffered at that position.

And Maroney will start if Dillon doesn't return to form or gets injured (quite possible).

SoonerPatriot said:
Questioning someone's fan street cred is a low rent move.
I agree. Calling me a bandwagoner.

But that being said, I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that Maroney and Jackson don't fill needs.

There was only one rd 1 running back available today and he went on the second pick. No one else could fit the bill on my board.

Dillon is on the wrong side of 30 with a lot of miles. I for one don't want to see the likes of Amos Zeroue toting the rock for us next year. Maroney gives us a viable option outside of an aging player. If Dillon magically reverses the aging process and becomes productive again, that's great. But if he doesn't, then we've got an option now beyond Kevin Faulk and Patrick Pass.

There were no true rd 1 or 2 WR's on my board.

When Givens left in FA, we needed a No. 2 WR. Caldwell doesn't fit that bill, but Jackson just might.

And there were tons of talent on D at every pick that I rated higher than these players. We reached. Especially with that 3rd rounder.

You can argue that there are needs on D as well. I'm not saying there aren't. But legit needs were filled today. The Thomas pick even has value with Graham in a contract year and Fauria out the door.

And I have argued it. But I lost that arguement today. In BB I trust....I guess. But, man, this is my anti-draft. My nightmare scenario.

JackBauer said:
I know. Having weapons for the best QB in the NFL. What kind of strategy is that?

You know, if the defense was bad, you might have a point. But it isn't. So you don't.

I would say giving the best Lineman in the league more playmakers behind him is a better strategy. Matter of choice I suppose.

As for the defense not being bad, I would prefer it to be more then just, not bad.

14thDragon said:
I would say giving the best Lineman in the league more playmakers behind him is a better strategy. Matter of choice I suppose.

As for the defense not being bad, I would prefer it to be more then just, not bad.

And we all saw that it was quite good, when healthy. We have seven more picks to go in this draft. And free agency. We are in an excellent positon.

14thDragon said:
Preach on brother Shirtsleeve. I prefer 3-0 wins to 31-28 wins.

Hard nosed crushing defense allowed us to punnishing the opposition into submission. Bending at times, but never breaking. Extinguishing hope, instilling desperate fear into opposing offenses causing them to make mistakes. The defense was where the teamed started and stopped.

I do not like this regression to an offense first team.

You guys are BEYOND overreacting. How does drafting three offensive players on Day One BLOW UP into making this "an offense first team" except in some ******ed ultra-literal translation of the phrase? ************, RELAX. This Day One does not mean BILL BELICHICK DOESN'T VALUE DEFENSE ANYMORE. I mean, seriously, how absurdly STUPID is it to make THAT leap?!

Good Lord. Just breathe. It'll be fine by this time tomorrow.

Brick said:
IMO this guy was not a "day one" pick. I can't see how he was the "best" player available OR the best TE left in the draft. The Pats still have pressing needs- TE was not a priority. He may be the next Ed McCaffrey but we have Watson & Graham, we need the next Willie McGinest.

You sir, are entitled to your "opinion", however the only opinion that truly counts is the opinion of the people responsible for the 3 Lombardis in the Patriot's trophy case and they know what they need to reload to gain more of them. I'll venture that THEY know exactly the value in the pick backed up by intense film study and analysis of team needs and possible improvements.

Your interpretation of team priorities is obviously at odds with the priorities of the people getting paid to make the choices for the Pats. I think we should wait until the draft is over before we start arguing over what the team "needs" first. If this draft is truly as deep in defensive talents as it has been hyped up to be then the powers that be at the Pats are quite comfortable with where they are standing at the moment. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, particularly with 7 more picks tomorrow. Relax, they know what they are doing and where they are headed.

:cool:

How many impact defensive players have been selected on the second day of the draft in BB/SP era?

0. Maybe 1 if you count Gay as a rookie free agent that played as a starter.

So forgive me if I doubt the multitude of gems we will mine out of the day two crop where their is no history of it.

shirtsleeve said:
Thats it!!!! Day one has been a total and complete bust!!! What the F@@@!? Wasn't even the best value at his position on the board. I had him figured for the 5th round!~

With all of the live kitten eating animals out there, we pissed the best defensive day 1 in years completely away! Who are the Pats trying to become? The Dolts? The Rams?

Maybe I'll become a Bears fan.....naaah, though they are now my fav. NFC team. Animals on D and just enough offense to grind the opponents D to the ground while killing clock, before the D goes back out and scores some more points. My kinda team. Just like us in 01. Thats all I want back, is our 01 team.

Sounds like you need a..............****TAIL!!!! :beersign:

14thDragon said:
How many impact defensive players have been selected on the second day of the draft in BB/SP era?

So forgive me if I doubt the multitude of gems we will mine out of the day two crop where their is no history of it.

Asante Samuel?

14thDragon said:

Asante Samuel?

edit: too slow.

Last edited:
shirtsleeve said:
Thats it!!!! Day one has been a total and complete bust!!! What the F@@@!? Wasn't even the best value at his position on the board. I had him figured for the 5th round!
Oh my God! No!
You had him fifth round? And BB/SP had him higher? What is wrong with those guys? Total goofs. I hope you call them right away and tell them what your draft board is tomorrow so they don't screw it up again!

14thDragon said:

Please kid...STFU...Brady, 6th round...Givens 7th...I think BB knows more about who to take than YOU ever will and will take whoever he deems best...why don't you take your smarmy egotistical doubts and go play in rush hour traffic. Speaking of IMPACT D players, you ever heard of Mike Vrabel?? Idiot....Rodney Harrison ring a bell?...moron....plenty of good defensive vets available June 1st...Seymour is signed, the D line is top five in the league and YOU want to complain like some snotnosed little rich kid brat....go root for Drewpy Stonestatue and the Cowgirls

Guess we need more offensive impact players tomorrow then. One more Brady, one more Givens, whatever. Or, you can take the "first time for everything" approach.

Guys, the Pats haven't had a bad draft in years. Last year we got 3 starters (yes, injuries forced the issue, but they held their own.)

Relax. Let the smart men do their work. Watch the pretty tape of the nice people.

Jeez.

PFnV

I think it's funny how so many of you are screaming he's not supposed to be this high, or how the team has other more pressing needs...

then let me ask you this...

these pressing needs, are they according to you or are they according to BB? I mean, we've just drafted the guy less than 24 hours and so many of you are already shooting him down. Complete day 1 bust? Please, get a grip. There is still an entire day tomorrow. And it's not like the Pats are the only one drafting players higher than where their FANS had placed them, just look at the Bills with the 8th pick.

I say, wait till tomorrow, if BB doesn't draft a single defensive player tomorrow, then I'd get worried, but not enough to jump off the bandwagon like some of you have done already:)

edgecy

Jarvis Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes