PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Pick #7 overall in 2008 NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its NEVER too early to start talking about this stuff. I've been following the top ten for 3 MONTHS and i'm happy i now know we're at pick #7. #2 would have been nice, but having #7 opens up MANY possiblities....I LOVE this time of year...

seventh is so much higher than what bb/pioli thought it would be. we were expecting two picks in the latter half of the round, and end up with one pick in the top ten. not bad, not bad at all.

Can he play OLB for the Pats? And if he can be converted, where will he play with Vrabel, AD, and Colvin fighting for snaps on the edges?

With Colvin's deal re worked, AD moves back inside. If the Pats stay put, the pick they make must/has to step into starting line up asap for Piolichick to justify paying that person so much, IMO.

seventh is so much higher than what bb/pioli thought it would be. we were expecting two picks in the latter half of the round, and end up with one pick in the top ten. not bad, not bad at all.

If we were picking at 16. And, wanted to trade up to 7. Would have probably cost us that 2nd 1st rounder. Pisses me off we lost that pick. But, at least SF was worse than expected.

A four year deal is nuts. We will stay in the top 16 so that we can sign the player to a 6-year deal.

i dont think that is THAT much money...and i wouldnt expect the pats to sign them to a 6 yr deal...

more like a 4 yr deal...worth about 25 mil, 8 mil in gaurantees.....not bad

I like Gholston but I'm not sure of the fit depending on what we do with Colvin and, if he leaves, what we do with Thomas. Also depending on if they think Woods has longterm upside.

I'd like a top CB but we seem to like to draft CB in the mid rounds, Samuel (4), Hobbs (3).

Depending how they grade out I wouldn't be shocked if we looked at a RT.

That's not a list that fills me with a lot of confidence even though Beoli is picking. The contract required for that pick could net you Samuels instead who is a proven commodity. I'm very in favor of a trade down. Still, knowing BB, who wants to bet he trades *up* to get the second ort third pick?

Every draft has had stud talent at #7. It's not the stud player's fault that the GM of the team at 7 was a moron, in comparison to Belichick.

The hindsight picks are amazing:

2007- Adrian Peterson (no change, though maybe you go with Patrick Willis)
2006- LoMo/Joseph Addai/Antonio Cromartie
2005- Demarcus Ware/Shawne Merriman (Lofa Tatupu in the 2nd Round)
2004- Ben Roethlisberger/Vince Wilfork/Steven Jackson
2003- Terrell Suggs/Troy Polamalu
2002- Dwight Freeney/Albert Haynesworth/Ed Reed
2001- Marcus Stroud (Chad Johnson was available at #7, too, but was a 2nd Rounder)
2000- Brian Urlacher
1999- Champ Bailey (no change, best available)
1998- Keith Brooking/Randy Moss/Alan Faneca

All of these guys would look great in a Pats uni (LoMo and Wilfork already in one, well, and Moss!).

Last edited:
It's not to early. It's just the wrong board. We have a draft board.

Its NEVER too early to start talking about this stuff. I've been following the top ten for 3 MONTHS and i'm happy i now know we're at pick #7. #2 would have been nice, but having #7 opens up MANY possiblities....I LOVE this time of year...

I know its to early to be talking about this.
I know everyone assumes the Pats trade out of this pick even though I doubt anyone has correctly predicted ANY of the Patriots draft day moves the past few years.

Its a bye week. What else is there to talk about?

Heres a look at the last 10 #7 overall picks:

2007- Adrian Peterson/RB/Min
2006- Michael Huff/SS/Oak
2005- Troy Williamson/WR/Min
2004- Roy Williams/WR/Det
2003- Byron Letfwich/QB/Jax
2002-Bryant McKinnie/T/Min
2001-Andre Carter/DE/SF
2000-Thomas Jones/RB/ARZ
1999-Champ Bailey/CB/Was
1998-Kyle Turley/T/NO

The just said on NFL Access that it will be 7 or 8, depending on the outcome of the final game tonight. I assume that game will affect winning percentage of teams played. Anyway, they never did say which team winning would make it the 7 pick, and which would make it the 8 pick. At least not while I was watching.

That's not a list that fills me with a lot of confidence even though Beoli is picking. The contract required for that pick could net you Samuels instead who is a proven commodity. I'm very in favor of a trade down. Still, knowing BB, who wants to bet he trades *up* to get the second ort third pick?
I'm good with trading down too but I wouldn't worry about the Top Seven list - teams drafting that high usually suck and they usually suck for a reason. Bad player development, no leadership, etc. The probability of success with the Patriots is a lot higher than the probability of success with most Top Ten drafting teams - even if we drafted the same player.

... I wouldn't worry about the Top Seven list - teams drafting that high usually suck and they usually suck for a reason. Bad player development, no leadership, etc. The probability of success with the Patriots is a lot higher than the probability of success with most Top Ten drafting teams - even if we drafted the same player.

Hmmm.
Interesting angle.
They're as bad at drafting
as they are at everything else.

Makes the draft seem like LESS of a crapshoot
... for an outfit that knows what they're doing.

Hmmm.
Interesting angle.

Makes the draft seem like LESS of a crapshoot
... for an outfit that knows what they're doing.

It's not just a theory, as I showed here.

If you know how to evaluate talent and don't do things like this, you can make sure the guy you are giving all that money to is worth it.

In the case with so much talent available at 7...The Pats are mostly likely going to select a player that is a DE/LB...Im hoping that we get C. Long, J. Laurinaitis, L. Jackson, or K. Rivers.

Hmmm.
Interesting angle.
Partly that they're bad at drafting but more that they're bad at developing players.

nothing against maroney , but i would love if mcfadden dropped. other than that, i'm looking at long or gholsten.

Is the LB/CB pool deep this year? hence the common theory of us trading down? WHo would we look at if we did trade down for a 15-20 pick?

The whole point of 1st round picks is locking them into a long contract at fixed money. When they become free agents, then those players tend to cash in. I would expect the Pats to sign the stud they identify to a 7 year deal, which I believe is allowed for top half, 1st round picks.

I didn't notice if anyone else corrected this, but:

Players selected 1-16 in the first round can sign 6 year (max) contracts.
Players selected 17-32 in the first round can sign 5 year (max) contracts
Players selected in all proceeding rounds (two through seven) can sign 4 year (max) contracts.

Last edited:
the only things i could see would be a CB or LB (or a trade down)... so, of course, it will be another TE, since im wrong every year, and we always take TE's.

if we go 19-0, i expect harrison, tedy and seau to be gone (why not?)... samuel is gone no matter what (why shouldn't he?)... and gay is probably gone.

we need 3 DB's and 2 LB's... i'd like to see 2 DB's and 2 LB's with our 4 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Early first round draft picks are usually selected by poor teams, and I like to think that that factors into the money a rookie demands. If you're going to get stuck in a potentially losing team for years, you want to squeeze them because your resume (and your marketability) may not look stellar after you've been with them for a while. On the other hand rookies may be falling over themselves to play for the Pats, for the same reason veterans would take less to play for a SB caliber team. The Pats could get a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing