PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Pick #7 overall in 2008 NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

vafides

Rookie
Reaction score
I know its to early to be talking about this.
I know everyone assumes the Pats trade out of this pick even though I doubt anyone has correctly predicted ANY of the Patriots draft day moves the past few years.

Its a bye week. What else is there to talk about?

Heres a look at the last 10 #7 overall picks:

2007- Adrian Peterson/RB/Min
2006- Michael Huff/SS/Oak
2005- Troy Williamson/WR/Min
2004- Roy Williams/WR/Det
2003- Byron Letfwich/QB/Jax
2002-Bryant McKinnie/T/Min
2001-Andre Carter/DE/SF
2000-Thomas Jones/RB/ARZ
1999-Champ Bailey/CB/Was
1998-Kyle Turley/T/NO

do u have the salary for adrian peterson? i want to know wut type of contract he signed

I wouldn't mind the Pats drafting the next Champ Bailey, particularly with Samuel on the way out.

I know everyone assumes the Pats trade out of this pick even though I doubt anyone has correctly predicted ANY of the Patriots draft day moves the past few years.

2001-Andre Carter/DE/SF
2000-Thomas Jones/RB/ARZ
1999-Champ Bailey/CB/Was
1998-Kyle Turley/T/NO

I wouldn't mind a 'Champ Bailey' type player at #7. =D

Another reason to assume the Pats dont trade out of this pick.

Since the BB era, the pats have had 2 picks in the top half of the first round. Those picks turned out to be two thirds of our 16-0 front line.

Richard Seymour- 6th overall in 2001
Ty Warren- 13th overall in 2003

Also just realized Terry Glenn was drafted by Parcells 7th overall. She was a decent pick.

way cool
Alicia_pale_yellow_top.jpg

I think that there is a 50/50 chance that we MIGHT trade down a little to maybe 10 - 15 range. Unless, there is a can't miss player sitting there at 7. This is an opportunity to add a "FRANCHISE/SEYMOUR" type player to a Championship caliber team. Those opportunites don't come a long very often for winning football teams. I think that the Pats will do everything in their power to maximize the VALUE of that pick.

i dont think that is THAT much money...and i wouldnt expect the pats to sign them to a 6 yr deal...

more like a 4 yr deal...worth about 25 mil, 8 mil in gaurantees.....not bad

The whole point of 1st round picks is locking them into a long contract at fixed money. When they become free agents, then those players tend to cash in. I would expect the Pats to sign the stud they identify to a 7 year deal, which I believe is allowed for top half, 1st round picks.

The Belichick drafting higher every year than teams real pick is a great great strategy that is almost a must to staying at the top. For that reason I really doubt we take the pick that high.

What my dream scenario was when we thought it was the #2 was Belichick trades down 3 times in the 1st round .... YES!!! :D

The Belichick drafting higher every year than teams real pick is a great great strategy that is almost a must to staying at the top. For that reason I really doubt we take the pick that high.

What my dream scenario was when we thought it was the #2 was Belichick trades down 3 times in the 1st round .... YES!!! :D

That works in Madden, but doesn't quite work that well in real life. :p
Besides look at Seymour. You thought what he got as a rookie was a lot? He was worth every penny, and after his rookie contract was up he got paid even MORE.
7 years from now that rookie deal will look like a bargain if we get a stud for the next 7 years and rack up a few more championships.

Last edited:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/7-28-07through7-31-07.htm

MORE DETAILS ON PETERSON DEAL
Reported as a five-year deal with a maximum value of $40 million, we're told that the contract signed on Sunday by Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has a realistic value of $5.5 million to $6 million per year, which translates into $27.5 million to $30 million.
Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Peterson will earn $24.75 million over five years if he rushes for more than 1,000 yards one time. If he rushes for 1,000 yards in a season twice, the value goes to more than $27 million.
Peterson can push the deal to more than $28 million in four ways -- rushing for 1,300 yards once is the primary category. If he rushes for 1,300 yards twice, the deal goes to more than $30 million.
The difference between $30 million and $40 million will require, as the source said, "super high-end stuff."
Also, the source said that the $17 million in guaranteed money is significant, since Peterson has an injury history and plays a position with a history of guys getting injured.
And with $17 million guaranteed on a five-year deal, Peterson (the No. 7 pick) actually has done better on a per-year basis that the No. 4 pick, Bucs defensive end Gaines Adams, who received $18.5 million guaranteed on a six-year contract.

VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!

gholston.jpg

*Heterosexual drool*

Here is a great link that collects a bunch of updated mock drafts. Its a great site for following the draft and trying to figure out an average draft position. However, with SP & BB, the Pats usually are tough to predict, but at #7 .. it way be a bit easier. I am looking forward to that April Day.

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

Its also a Redskins sponsored site.

VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!

gholston.jpg

*Heterosexual drool*

Can he play OLB for the Pats? And if he can be converted, where will he play with Vrabel, AD, and Colvin fighting for snaps on the edges?

2001-Andre Carter/DE/SF
2000-Thomas Jones/RB/ARZ
1999-Champ Bailey/CB/Was
1998-Kyle Turley/T/NO

That's not a list that fills me with a lot of confidence even though Beoli is picking. The contract required for that pick could net you Samuels instead who is a proven commodity. I'm very in favor of a trade down. Still, knowing BB, who wants to bet he trades *up* to get the second ort third pick?

I'm 100% convinced it's either

A. Vernon Gholston
B. Malcolm Jenkins or
C. Trade

I think we're going into this draft with the closest thing we've had to a positional lock since we drafted Warren.

CB is the only position on the field where we're likely to experience full value for a top-15 pick. I expect the Pats simply to draft the top or perhaps second-top CB on their draft board, standing pat or (more likely) trading down to where they think that's a good value.

The runner-up options are ILB (if they think it's possible for a guy to contribute a lot more quickly than young LBs usually do for BB) or RT.

We're stacked pretty much everywhere else -- QB, WR, RB, TE, the rest of the OL, DL, OLB, and S. Almost all of those positions are candidates for lower-round picks, but probably not for a blue-chip first-rounder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back