Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pats Pick #7 overall in 2008 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by vafides, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vafides

vafides Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know its to early to be talking about this.
    I know everyone assumes the Pats trade out of this pick even though I doubt anyone has correctly predicted ANY of the Patriots draft day moves the past few years.

Its a bye week. What else is there to talk about?

Heres a look at the last 10 #7 overall picks:

2007- Adrian Peterson/RB/Min
    2006- Michael Huff/SS/Oak
    2005- Troy Williamson/WR/Min
    2004- Roy Williams/WR/Det
    2003- Byron Letfwich/QB/Jax
    2002-Bryant McKinnie/T/Min
    2001-Andre Carter/DE/SF
    2000-Thomas Jones/RB/ARZ
    1999-Champ Bailey/CB/Was
    1998-Kyle Turley/T/NO

2. ALP

ALP Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +48 / 2 / -0

do u have the salary for adrian peterson? i want to know wut type of contract he signed

3. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

I wouldn't mind the Pats drafting the next Champ Bailey, particularly with Samuel on the way out.

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't mind a 'Champ Bailey' type player at #7. =D

5. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

6. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Even though that's for Adrian Peterson, who's obviously a stud, man that's alot of money for a rookie who hasnt really done anything. I dread NE having to sign a rookie to that kindof cash. Because unlike Minnesota, we dont need a rookie to come in and carry this team.

7. vafides

vafides Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another reason to assume the Pats dont trade out of this pick.

Since the BB era, the pats have had 2 picks in the top half of the first round. Those picks turned out to be two thirds of our 16-0 front line.

Richard Seymour- 6th overall in 2001
    Ty Warren- 13th overall in 2003

Also just realized Terry Glenn was drafted by Parcells 7th overall. She was a decent pick.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

way cool
    [​IMG]

9. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +201 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think that there is a 50/50 chance that we MIGHT trade down a little to maybe 10 - 15 range. Unless, there is a can't miss player sitting there at 7. This is an opportunity to add a "FRANCHISE/SEYMOUR" type player to a Championship caliber team. Those opportunites don't come a long very often for winning football teams. I think that the Pats will do everything in their power to maximize the VALUE of that pick.

10. ALP

ALP Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +48 / 2 / -0

11. VJCPatriot

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

The whole point of 1st round picks is locking them into a long contract at fixed money. When they become free agents, then those players tend to cash in. I would expect the Pats to sign the stud they identify to a 7 year deal, which I believe is allowed for top half, 1st round picks.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

The Belichick drafting higher every year than teams real pick is a great great strategy that is almost a must to staying at the top. For that reason I really doubt we take the pick that high.

What my dream scenario was when we thought it was the #2 was Belichick trades down 3 times in the 1st round .... YES!!! :D

13. VJCPatriot

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

That works in Madden, but doesn't quite work that well in real life. :p
    Besides look at Seymour. You thought what he got as a rookie was a lot? He was worth every penny, and after his rookie contract was up he got paid even MORE.
    7 years from now that rookie deal will look like a bargain if we get a stud for the next 7 years and rack up a few more championships.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  14. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +404 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

http://www.profootballtalk.com/7-28-07through7-31-07.htm

MORE DETAILS ON PETERSON DEAL
    Reported as a five-year deal with a maximum value of $40 million, we're told that the contract signed on Sunday by Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has a realistic value of $5.5 million to $6 million per year, which translates into $27.5 million to $30 million.
    Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Peterson will earn $24.75 million over five years if he rushes for more than 1,000 yards one time. If he rushes for 1,000 yards in a season twice, the value goes to more than $27 million.
    Peterson can push the deal to more than $28 million in four ways -- rushing for 1,300 yards once is the primary category. If he rushes for 1,300 yards twice, the deal goes to more than $30 million.
    The difference between $30 million and $40 million will require, as the source said, "super high-end stuff."
    Also, the source said that the $17 million in guaranteed money is significant, since Peterson has an injury history and plays a position with a history of guys getting injured.
    And with $17 million guaranteed on a five-year deal, Peterson (the No. 7 pick) actually has done better on a per-year basis that the No. 4 pick, Bucs defensive end Gaines Adams, who received $18.5 million guaranteed on a six-year contract.

15. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!VERNON GHOLSTON!!

[​IMG]

*Heterosexual drool*

16. MooseKnuckles

MooseKnuckles On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here is a great link that collects a bunch of updated mock drafts. Its a great site for following the draft and trying to figure out an average draft position. However, with SP & BB, the Pats usually are tough to predict, but at #7 .. it way be a bit easier. I am looking forward to that April Day.

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

Its also a Redskins sponsored site.

17. VJCPatriot

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Can he play OLB for the Pats? And if he can be converted, where will he play with Vrabel, AD, and Colvin fighting for snaps on the edges?

18. patpatriot

patpatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's not a list that fills me with a lot of confidence even though Beoli is picking. The contract required for that pick could net you Samuels instead who is a proven commodity. I'm very in favor of a trade down. Still, knowing BB, who wants to bet he trades *up* to get the second ort third pick?

19. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm 100% convinced it's either

A. Vernon Gholston
    B. Malcolm Jenkins or
    C. Trade

20. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +130 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

I think we're going into this draft with the closest thing we've had to a positional lock since we drafted Warren.

CB is the only position on the field where we're likely to experience full value for a top-15 pick. I expect the Pats simply to draft the top or perhaps second-top CB on their draft board, standing pat or (more likely) trading down to where they think that's a good value.

The runner-up options are ILB (if they think it's possible for a guy to contribute a lot more quickly than young LBs usually do for BB) or RT.

We're stacked pretty much everywhere else -- QB, WR, RB, TE, the rest of the OL, DL, OLB, and S. Almost all of those positions are candidates for lower-round picks, but probably not for a blue-chip first-rounder.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.