PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Offseason Review - Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a new CBA, do you expect the players to accept the emergency RFA rules now in place for the 2010 uncapped season? If there is a new CBA agreement, I don't expect 6th year players like Mankins and Kaczur to be RFA's. Do you? I expect to continue a system similar to the current one. The CBA and RFA rules are the crux of the matter.

Maybe we should consider guards as we do running backs; acquire them when the need is there.

Mankins and Kaczur would only be 5th year players, not 6th year. What the players EXPECT doesn't matter. What the Patriots expect does. And what they expect is that they'll have to prepare for both scenarios. Which means adding depth this year that they could rely on next year in the even that players like Mankins and Kazur were lost to UFA.

This causes a problem for the players. Why? Because all the teams in the NFL are in the same predicament as the Patriots. Some to a greater degree, some to a lesser. So the market will be flooded with UFAs. When there is a High supply, prices tend to be lower. And since teams will be preparing for that eventuality this year by adding players who they hope/expect to be able to move line-up in 2010, then the demand will not be as high either. Which will also have prices at a lower rate.

I also expect that, like when the last CBA extension was signed, there will be a period of time when teams will be allowed to extend their own players prior to the start of free agency.

I haven't forgotten, but the fill-ins got some experience which implies they will be better for it. Plus Mark Levoir showed up fromnowhere, and Conolly might be closer to graduating from Dante's post Graduate School for Offensive Linemen. Despite the influx of a cast of thousands of imported ex-starting veteran FAs, Britt, Yates, Levoir and Connolly beat them off, and survived.

I'd still like to resin Mankins and Neal this offseason. Neal proved he should have been a full-fledged member of the pro-bowl crew from 2007, IMHO. He is the best pulling Guard in the NFL, bar none; while Mankins is just a good ol' boy hard-ass. :D

I don't see Neal being Re-signed, honestly.

As for Britt, he only survived because Ross, Stokes and O'Callaghan weren't healthy. Yates survived because he's a team player. Lavoir they actually signed off the Rams practice squad. Connolly "survived" because the Pats cut him and put him on the practice squad. I don't consider that beating off someone like Welbourn. I call that having options left.

This will be Maroney's last chance to prove he can play in the NFL. When healthy, he has shown good things. However, some may argue he dances too much which is warranted. I hope he pulls a DeAngelo Williams. It's too bad Morris couldn't stay healthy all year because he is a beast running with the football. He has great vision and lays the lumber on anyone in his way. I don't even need to say anything about Faulk because he is clutch. That's all he does, catches key passes on third down and blocks Blitzer’s. I hope the Pats keep Lamont Jordan who stepped up when healthy. Lastly, I would love for the Pats to get Sproles but that would mean someone would have to get cut. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maroney cut.

:ditto: :agree: :yeahthat:

Well put. Jordan is just a joy to watch. When he is healthy I just feel good about our offense. Maroney on the other hand, makes me feel uncertain and queasy. Will we get the MC Hammer Maroney today, dancing around watching holes close? Will he get hurt again? Or will we get the decisive Maroney that we saw in two or three games last year?

Maroney isn't worth a lot of money in my opinion. He needs to prove himself before his time is up. He is young, so can definitely get better and bigger and stronger. Let's hope he turns into a butterfly in 2009!!!

Yes, when there is a new CBA, there would be a transtion period when teams can exclusively negotiate with their own players before they become free agents. That is not at issue. It also matters little whether the players are 5th or 6th year players. Under the current CBA, players are RFA's agents after three credited seasons, UFA's after four. Unrestricted free agency after four years is critical. The players won't give it up.

As far as current offseason, I sense that we agree that, as one of our top priroities, we need to bring in at least one top interior lineman. In addition, a lower level priority is bringing in a developmental interior lineman (or re-signing Hochstein) and also a backup OT to compete for a reps next year, and to replace Britt. The OT might not make the team, but LeVoir and O'Callaghan should have real competition. Besides, O'Callaghan is a continuing injury risk.

Mankins and Kaczur would only be 5th year players, not 6th year. What the players EXPECT doesn't matter. What the Patriots expect does. And what they expect is that they'll have to prepare for both scenarios. Which means adding depth this year that they could rely on next year in the even that players like Mankins and Kazur were lost to UFA.

This causes a problem for the players. Why? Because all the teams in the NFL are in the same predicament as the Patriots. Some to a greater degree, some to a lesser. So the market will be flooded with UFAs. When there is a High supply, prices tend to be lower. And since teams will be preparing for that eventuality this year by adding players who they hope/expect to be able to move line-up in 2010, then the demand will not be as high either. Which will also have prices at a lower rate.

I also expect that, like when the last CBA extension was signed, there will be a period of time when teams will be allowed to extend their own players prior to the start of free agency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back