PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats O - 5 of 9 drives with 10+ plays. No other team had more than 2 against Balt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockt327

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Seriously. I know people want to harp on those 2 interceptions, but NE just kept moving the ball down field all game long....against a D that never allowed more two 10+ play drives against any opponent all season long.

What I did was look up the drive summary for teams that played Balt in 2011. I counted all the drives that were at 10+. I didn't hold it against the opposing O whose drive was finished early due to an "end of half/game" listing. Here are the results.

Number of "10+ play drives" out of "total drive attempts":
PIT - 1 of 12
TEN - 2 of 11
STL - 2 of 12
NYJ - 0 of 15
HOU - 1 of 11
JAC - 1 of 12
ARI - 1 of 12
PIT - 2 of 9
SEA - 1 of 11 (only +10 drive lead to End of Game)
CIN - 1 of 15
SFO - 1 of 9
CLE - 1 of 11
IND - 2 of 10
SND - 2 of 8
CLE - 1 of 10
CIN - 2 of 11
----
HOU - 2 of 13
NWE - 5 of 9

Yeah. So when Brady "sucks" he's still better than most QBs.

Re: Pats O - 5 of 9 drives with 10+ plays. No other team had more than 2 against Balt

WOW

great stat man

Yup, the offense did a great job moving the ball and getting the D tired...obviously the 2 INTs were bad but they were still successful running plays vs their D

Re: Pats O - 5 of 9 drives with 10+ plays. No other team had more than 2 against Balt

yep, pats moved at will vs a great defense which makes it frustrating that the game was a nail biter.

Seriously. I know people want to harp on those 2 interceptions, but NE just kept moving the ball down field all game long....against a D that never allowed more two 10+ play drives against any opponent all season long.

What I did was look up the drive summary for teams that played Balt in 2011. I counted all the drives that were at 10+. I didn't hold it against the opposing O whose drive was finished early due to an "end of half/game" listing. Here are the results.

Number of "10+ play drives" out of "total drive attempts":
PIT - 1 of 12
TEN - 2 of 11
STL - 2 of 12
NYJ - 0 of 15
HOU - 1 of 11
JAC - 1 of 12
ARI - 1 of 12
PIT - 2 of 9
SEA - 1 of 11 (only +10 drive lead to End of Game)
CIN - 1 of 15
SFO - 1 of 9
CLE - 1 of 11
IND - 2 of 10
SND - 2 of 8
CLE - 1 of 10
CIN - 2 of 11
----
HOU - 2 of 13
NWE - 5 of 9

Yeah. So when Brady "sucks" he's still better than most QBs.

Brady missed Gronk. He made a bad decision on the pick to Webb, and should have checked down rather than taking the shot deep.
He made a very good throw to Hernandez, squeezing into coverage that Simms called a bad throw.
Otherwise he gutted out a good game against a good D.
His "I sucked' comment was because he will never accept an Int much less 2. He could have been 33-35 with those 2 picks and would have said he sucked.

I thought the long drives were huge in playing from ahead/driving to go ahead when they fell behind, keeping the D off the field.
The Ravens dared him to move with accurate reads and dink and dunk passes, and he did so.
We scored 23 points with 3 turnovers and 3 red zone fails.

That's why it was still a great peformance despite settling for so many field goals. Only once was the D put in a tough position, the Woodhead fumble. Other than that they were able to apply the bend but don't break. If we have a similar performance by the offense without the turnovers I like our chances to hold our opponents to 20 or less, which ought to be more than enough for our offense.

It was the vaunted "Bend but don't break" defense. The only things open were the short routes that JUST moved the chains.

I actually hear Felger defend Brady performance and talk briefly about the length of drives. Good to know that guy is good for something...

The O moved the ball well until they got into the redzone. The redzone stat would have been the glaring stat if the Pats lost yesterday.

Some luck too.
coldhardfootballfacts:
...according to Elias, the Patriots may have pulled off the greatest escape in modern postseason history. Teams that are +2 in turnover differential and outgain their opponent by 50+ yards are 110-1 in the playoffs.

Make that 110-2.

Nice to see a stat-based thread that, at least to my comparatively-ignorant eyes, has real merit! Well done!

I wish there was a "love" button :rocker:

Some luck too.
coldhardfootballfacts:
...according to Elias, the Patriots may have pulled off the greatest escape in modern postseason history. Teams that are +2 in turnover differential and outgain their opponent by 50+ yards are 110-1 in the playoffs.

Make that 110-2.

Well, it's good to know that the Patriots can play the worst possible game and still win. It seemed to me like they were moving the ball well, things just weren't going their way. Hopefully they won't make it so painful in Indy.

Last edited:

This is part of the reason why I am not worried. Brady was crap and he still moved the ball almost at will. Take away the mistakes he made and the game would not have been close. I have no doubt that he will not have two crappy performances in a row.

The O moved the ball well until they got into the redzone. The redzone stat would have been the glaring stat if the Pats lost yesterday.

For reference, Baltimore gave up 16 touchdowns on 42 possessions (38.1 percent) inside its own 20-yard line all year long

Two TDs is double of what they allowed per game all season long. It's also, 2of 5, which is 40%. That's above average. ;)

yep, pats moved at will vs a great defense which makes it frustrating that the game was a nail biter.

This was so frustrating. They absolutely moved the ball well until they got to the red zone or there was a frustrating turnover. Then we either got a FG or nothing. Hopefully Brady recovers and goes to town on the Giants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes