PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats now 2nd of Original 8 AFL Teams All-time Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
No surprise. Oakland first. But, there's a chance we could catch them by the time Tom Brady retires. We've caught them in Super Bowl wins. And, passed them in appearances.

Oakland - 416 342 -11
Patriots - 398 362 - 9
Denver - 397 362 - 10
KC - 393 364 - 12
San Diego 383 376 - 11
Tenn/Hous 376 387 - 6
Buffalo 357 404 - 8
NY Jets 349 412 - 8

Miami not an original team. While they don't have the most wins. They do have the best winning pct. by far. 394-287-4.

lol jets last place, half of broncos win are probably over the pats :cool:

Cool stat man, for those of us over 40 and stuff. Also, btw, since you mentioned Miami in your cool history lesson, I'll also add that Cincinnati didn't exist until 1966, when Miami was born. Maybe some people don't know that The Bengals were also an AFL team who was expansion the same year as The Dolphins. Sort of like the Buccaneers & Seahawks both came in the NFL at the same time (1976), also The Panthers & The Jaguars later on too, both in 1995.

No surprise. Oakland first. But, there's a chance we could catch them by the time Tom Brady retires. We've caught them in Super Bowl wins. And, passed them in appearances.

Oakland - 416 342 -11
Patriots - 398 362 - 9
Denver - 397 362 - 10
KC - 393 364 - 12
San Diego 383 376 - 11
Tenn/Hous 376 387 - 6
Buffalo 357 404 - 8
NY Jets 349 412 - 8

This is the best part :)

Cool stat man, for those of us over 40 and stuff. Also, btw, since you mentioned Miami in your cool history lesson, I'll also add that Cincinnati didn't exist until 1966, when Miami was born. Maybe some people don't know that The Bengals were also an AFL team who was expansion the same year as The Dolphins. Sort of like the Buccaneers & Seahawks both came in the NFL at the same time (1976), also The Panthers & The Jaguars later on too, both in 1995.

Yeah, I'm 49. I remember the Pats at 1p. Then, a wild AFL
West game between Raiders/Chargers/Chiefs take your pick. I always hated the NFL. Stodgy, old geezers. LOL. Now, I'm one of them. Don't trust anyone over 30. I don't want to be singing Satisfaction when I'm 50- Mick Jagger. Always root for the old-time AFL team if the choice. Well, except the Jesters of course.

West game between Raiders/Chargers/Chiefs take your pick. I always hated the NFL. Stodgy, old geezers. LOL. Now, I'm one of them. Don't trust anyone over 30. I don't want to be singing Satisfaction when I'm 50- Mick Jagger. Always root for the old-time AFL team if the choice. Well, except the Jesters of course.

Heh.... I'm 55 and have some distant memories of those days. :rolleyes:

Beer was less expensive too.

Heh.... I'm 55 and have some distant memories of those days. :rolleyes:

Beer was less expensive too.

Buncha kids posting here I see...

Interesting stats for us old AFL folks, esp the continuing suckage of the JESTS. I'm beginning to think that there really IS something to Joe Willie selling his and the Jets' collective souls for that 60s SuperBowl win. I guess that the good news here is that when the devil comes to collect he'll be surprised (the only one, however) to find out that the Jets are soulless bastards.

I feel sorry for the Bills... stuck in a Titans sandwich :)

(Which most people under 50 won't get probably.)

Oakland - 416 342 -11
Patriots - 398 362 - 9
Denver - 397 362 - 10
KC - 393 364 - 12
San Diego 383 376 - 11
Tenn/Hous 376 387 - 6
Buffalo 357 404 - 8
NY Jets 349 412 - 8

Miami not an original team. While they don't have the most wins. They do have the best winning pct. by far. 394-287-4.

Great stat! Thanks
You got me curious about where this stood at the end of the 2000 season, before Tom Brady took over as QB and Belichick had put his mark on the organization. The results are stunning and highlight what Brady and Belichick have meant to this franchise.

End of 2000 Season

Oakland: 366-248-11
KC: 330-283-12
Denver: 315-300-10
San Diego: 298-316-11
Buffalo: 299-318-8
Tenn/Hous: 298-321-6
Patriots: 291-325-9
NY Jets: 278-339-8

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm with you. Two games at 1:00, two games at 4:00; four afternoon games back then was much better than the current setup of two or three to choose from; that was one nice side benefit of competing leagues. The generation gap that divided politics extended to football; the younger people in my neighborhood followed the Pats and the AFL first, the NFL second; our parents followed the NFL and looked down on the AFL.

Now we're the old geezers . . .

A few other milestones I stumbled across, in addition to the Pats passing the Broncos for all-time won-loss record:

Pats are now 13th overall with a .524 all-time regular season winning record. Next up is Jacksonville, who is just .002 ahead of the Pats. By next season it is possible the Pats catch up to the two Baltimores, the Ravens (.530) and Colts (.531), which would move them into the top ten.

Bill Belichick now ranks 19th in regular season winning percentage of all coaches to have coached at least 50 games. His .628 winning percentage is just .003 behind the immortal Curly Lambeau. That winning percentage ranks 9th among all coaches with at least 100 regular season wins. BB currently has 159 regular season wins; if the Pats win their last three games he will pass Mike Holmgren (161) for 11th most wins all time. Next year he has a shot at passing Bill Parcells (172) for 10th place all time.

Belichick currently ranks 5th all time with 15 playoff wins as a head coach. His next playoff win ties him with Chuck Noll - imagine the reaction in Pittsburgh if Belichick tied or passed Noll with a win against the Steelers! Looking further ahead Belichick is just five wins behind all time leader Tom Landry (20), and four behind Don Shula (19). In addition Belichick is also tied with Noll and a few others for third most conference championships, with four. So there's another opportunity for the Pats to drive Steeler fans a bit crazy in January if things work out right.

In the Bears game Tom Brady passed Steve DeBerg for career passing yards, and now ranks 20th all time with 34,242 yards. By the end of the season he could move up a couple more notches, past Jim Hart (34,665) and Jim (don't call me Chris) Everett (34,837).

Brady is tied with Dan Fouts for 12th all time with 254 touchdown passes, and is just one behind Sonny Jurgensen. He needs seven TD passes in the last three games to move into the top ten all time.

Fred Taylor has 11,663 yards rushing in his career, so it doen't look like he'll become the 14th player in NFL history to run for 12,000 yards. With 19 carries over the next three games he would rank 20th all time in number of rushing attempts. Taylor needs four rushing touchdowns to become the 28th player in NFL history to run for 70 touchdowns.

Wes Welker has passed Hall of Famer Bobby Mitchell and now ranks 99th in NFL history for most receptions, with 522. Right now he is 35 catches behind both Stanley Morgan and Troy Brown, who are tied for 81st with 557 catches.

Deion Branch needs 261 more yards to become the 158th NFL player with 6,000 yards receiving in his career.

Great stat! Thanks
You got me curious about where this stood at the end of the 2000 season, before Tom Brady took over as QB and Belichick had put his mark on the organization. The results are stunning and highlight what Brady and Belichick have meant to this franchise.

End of 2000 Season

At that rate in 5 more years the Pats will overtake the Raiders.

Or that the Steelers, Colts and Browns were original NFL teams that came over to the AFC with the merger.....The Steelers were perpetual losers who hoped a change of conference would change their luck.....
sure did....

Last edited:
Buncha kids posting here I see...

Interesting stats for us old AFL folks, esp the continuing suckage of the JESTS. I'm beginning to think that there really IS something to Joe Willie selling his and the Jets' collective souls for that 60s SuperBowl win. I guess that the good news here is that when the devil comes to collect he'll be surprised (the only one, however) to find out that the Jets are soulless bastards.

Oh, he started paying that debt right off with having to do panty hose commercials. That woosiness extends to the JESTS to this very day.

Oh, he started paying that debt right off with having to do panty hose commercials. That woosiness extends to the JESTS to this very day.
Since those two Ewbank-Namath playoff seasons, the Jets have missed the playoffs 29 times. In those 40 years they have had just 14 winning seasons; one was in the 9-game strike year, and six others were with records of 9-7 or 8-7-1. The Curse of Namath lives, and it is a 9-7 tease followed by the harsh reality of 4-12 and 6-10 seasons. For old timer Patriot fans, it is revenge for when a young Namath and the Jets upset the Pats on the last game of the year and kept the Pats out of the very first Super Bowl.

Great stat! Thanks

End of 2000 Season

This stat puts everything into perspective..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes