PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats & NFL Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I wouldn't normally do this but since it will be twelve days till the Pats play again, thought I'd look to see what the national media is now thinking of the Pats. Similar to fans that follow the team, power rankings tend to put far too much emphasis on the most recent game, but for thos interested, here you go:

NFL Power Rankings Week 5 - National Football League - ESPN
ESPN ranks the Steelers, Saints, Packers, Jets and Falcons as their top five.
Pats are 8th
"Bill Belichick may be struggling with his defense, but he has no concerns about the offense and special teams."

NFL Power Rankings: Hello, any greatness out there? - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
CBS lists the Ravens, Falcons, Jets, Saints, and Packers as the top teams.
Pat are 8th
"That was a special-teams clinic Monday night. But you just can't count on that much. Their season will be decided by how much they improve on defense."

NFL Power Poll: Separation Sunday in AFC - NFL - Sporting News
Sporting News has the Jets, Ravens, Saints, Packers and Steelers as the top five.
Pats are 6th
"It's just not fair when Tom Brady and their loaded offense is getting scoring help from the defense and special teams."

NFL Power Rankings - Top 32 NFL Football Teams - FOX Sports on MSN
FoxSports' top five are the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, Packers and Falcons.
Pats are 10th
"What an amazing performance by New England's special teams against Miami. But New England's defense still has issues. One game can't camouflage the deficiencies on that side of the ball."

Week Four power rankings | ProFootballTalk.com
NBC/PFT lists the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Falcons and Saints as the top teams.
Pats are 8th
"Things get very interesting after the bye, with five of the next six against the Ravens, Chargers, Vikings, Steelers, and Colts."

The one thing all sites have in common? Every one of them ranks the Bills dead last at #32.

Not wasting bandwidth and breath on a lengthy discussion of how worthless Power Rankings are in the first week of October, I'll just comment: "Yeah, somewhere in the top 10 but below the top five is probably about right. OK. Now what's the next topic?"

Last edited:
first thing that jumps out at me is how the pakcers are ranked top 5 in 4 of 5 sites provided

arnt they 2-2????
seems to me the national media is setting them up for a huge dissapointment pretty hard, and i like GB, though not as much as at the start of the season

Why are the Falcons ranked so high up? they squeaked by the last 2 weeks, granted one of the games was the Saints (who aren't exactly playing great).

Same goes with the Ravens, I haven't seen anything from them this year to warrant them being ranked in the top 2 teams in the league.

CBS Sports doesn't have Pittsburgh in the top five = fail.

I am starting to like power rankings.:)

Heh, the Jets were atop the rankings at this point last year too.

C'mon now....think we all know last year is monumentally different than the circumstances this year.

Not that I care but Fox Sports always has us ranked lower than most other sites. In '07 they didn't have us #1 till midway through the season

C'mon now....think we all know last year is monumentally different than the circumstances this year.
Why? I don't disagree, mind you... Just seeing what your analysis has revealed over the last 12 months

The point being that you can't tell much from October what will happen over the course of the season.

Last year at this point, the Broncos, Giants, and Jets were all world-beaters that eventually stumbled. I thought Jets fans, of all people, would know well that fast starts and huge hype don't mean a whole lot after last year.

The point being that you can't tell much from October what will happen over the course of the season.

Last year at this point, the Broncos, Giants, and Jets were all world-beaters that eventually stumbled. I thought Jets fans, of all people, would know well that fast starts and huge hype don't mean a whole lot after last year.

===========================================

That's the difference, you see it as the Jets eventually stumbled, i see it as the Jets eventually lost to Peyton and the Colts in the AFC Championship game. I thought the Jets got close.

I guess you take them as you get them, and when your on top, as a fan, take the time to enjoy it.

===========================================

That's the difference, you see it as the Jets eventually stumbled, i see it as the Jets eventually lost to Peyton and the Colts in the AFC Championship game. I thought the Jets got close.

I said the Jets stumbled, and they did. After starting 3-0, they went 1-6. That's definitely stumbling. It might have been 4-9 to finish the season had the Colts and Bengals not laid down. They may have gotten hot in the playoffs, but it took charity to get there, and the season definitely did not turn out the way all the experts thought it would during Week 4 of last season, when they were talking about a possible Jets and Giants Super Bowl.

I guess you take them as you get them, and when your on top, as a fan, take the time to enjoy it.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey