PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Needs? RB, WR, CB, S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do teams even carry 6 WRs on the depth chart? They usually carry 5 and a ST only WR (Slater).

So if a WR is drafted in round 1 or 2, wouldn't 1 of tate or edelman have to be cut?

No. There's no hard and fast rule here. Slater could be cut, for example.

Do teams even carry 6 WRs on the depth chart? They usually carry 5 and a ST only WR (Slater).

So if a WR is drafted in round 1 or 2, wouldn't 1 of tate or edelman have to be cut?

BINGO. Which is why we won't draft a WR in the top 3 rounds. After that I could see us taking someone rounds 4-7 as those rounds are for devlopmental prospects.

LeVoir has regressed since his first year with the Pats.
I would argue that being beaten out for the #3 OT by Ojinnaka isn't a sign of regression, certainly NE's willingness to carry him all season while listing him inactive argues that Scar has confidence in him ... I even have a vague recollection of BB including him when he was listing the various players who could play LT. Scar & BB both take the attitude that they want their players to work hard and get better regardless of tenure, the fact Mark is with the team and was one of the guys who represented the OL when they were recognized for some Super Bowl week event suggests his lost ground is not due to regression on his part.

All right, let's react to this post.

In your mind, the priority OT is NOT above OG as long as Maneri can be expected to have one of the four OT jobs on the team. Is that your position? So, if we judge that Maneri can beat our LeVoir for the #4 OT spot, we should feel comfortable with lowering the importance of OT, since Maeri is part of the 2011 solution.

I disagree. I do not think the #4 OT is the key. The key is ther re-signing of Light or believing in Kaczur as a starter. To me, if we don't see an OT drafted early, then either the team team has confidence that Light will be re-signed or the team has confidence in the health of quality of play of Kaczur, or both. I don't the battle for #4 OT is relevant to the decision of who to draft early.

MG - I suggest you go back and actually read what was said. You clearly didn't because your over-reaction is proof of that.

No where did I say that OT wasn't a priority. I said it could be ABOVE OG if the Pats felt that Maneri couldn't handle the job. I didn't say STARTING job. I just said job. As in, the job of being one of the 4 OTs on the team. You also need to remember that Maneri is a project so expecting him to beat out LeVoir or Ojinnaka in his rookie year is what is delusional.

All right, let's react to this post.

In your mind, the priority OT is NOT above OG as long as Maneri can be expected to have one of the four OT jobs on the team. Is that your position? So, if we judge that Maneri can beat our LeVoir for the #4 OT spot, we should feel comfortable with lowering the importance of OT, since Maeri is part of the 2011 solution.

I disagree. I do not think the #4 OT is the key. The key is ther re-signing of Light or believing in Kaczur as a starter. To me, if we don't see an OT drafted early, then either the team team has confidence that Light will be re-signed or the team has confidence in the health of quality of play of Kaczur, or both. I don't the battle for #4 OT is relevant to the decision of who to draft early.

Instead of throwing in your own BS interpretation of what I said, just read what I said. It makes life a lot simpler.

And if you had bothered to read any of the other posts, You'd have seen that my "priorities" tend to be DE, OG, OLB, OT. So, in the 1st 2 rounds is where I expect an OT to be taken. Someone that doesn't have to start right away. Especially if BB plans to put them at LT.

I honestly don't expect Kaczur or LeVoir on the team if the Pats pick up an OT in the 1st two rounds. Why? Because I do expect Light back. And, yes, I expect Maneri to be the #4 based on all the good things we heard about him during the season.

Ok, I agree that OT is less of a priority if Light is re-signed. Was it really so hard to say that you had made that assumption.

Instead of throwing in your own BS interpretation of what I said, just read what I said. It makes life a lot simpler.

And if you had bothered to read any of the other posts, You'd have seen that my "priorities" tend to be DE, OG, OLB, OT. So, in the 1st 2 rounds is where I expect an OT to be taken. Someone that doesn't have to start right away. Especially if BB plans to put them at LT.

I honestly don't expect Kaczur or LeVoir on the team if the Pats pick up an OT in the 1st two rounds. Why? Because I do expect Light back. And, yes, I expect Maneri to be the #4 based on all the good things we heard about him during the season.

There are needs and the are holes that need to be filled............

If we resign Light and Mankins has already been franchise tagged than I don't see any glaring holes....

thus I see need as OL (preferable a T than could start at guard), OL (Preferably a C/G road grader), OLB, DE, RB, S, WR in that order more or less......

If BB wants to take his highest rated player in the first two rounds I am 100% on board with that. Assuming one of those picks is not a QB!

I think it's always a needs vs opportunity propostion. For ex in the draft if you feel you need a DL you better take that guy early because there's historically always a great run on defensive players early, especially at that position. So you need to balance that vs your needs. Historically OTs also go higher vs C/Gs. With C/Gs you could take a lesser heralded player and make that guy a really good OL. With that in mind here's my order: DE, OLB, OT, CB, RB, C/G, WR. Of course you don't reach and overdraft need vs plateau.

DE, OLB, OT, OG/OC, RB seem to be the biggest needs although I wouldn't mind another WR or CB to be brought into the mix for depth.

Light will be back but should swap spots with Vollmer. Interior OL is a real need with Neal done and mankins a big question mark. Their depth is fine if they can get a starter in free agency and a prospect who can become a high quality starter soon.

RB is in good shape but depth will be added, the BJGE haters are foolish imo, he has done a really good job and deserves the starting role. Given how many RB's go down over a season adding a high pick and a good free agent would make sense.

WR is fine but a big time player could turn it into one of the best units in the league, the question is whether one is available. The draft looks thin and free agency at WR is always a crap shoot. Just say no to Moss if he wants back in. No more drama.

DB is a strength not a weakness and i'd address the front 7 before using much capital on a DB. I still, however, believe in taking the best prospects over need when drafting and would take a highly rated DB in the firts if their is a run on front 7 players that weakens what is available in the first. Given the way the first looks now i'd guess that's unlikely and see them taking DL or OL early in this draft to bolster their lines and pass rush.

The Patriots have the picks to make a move for a disgruntled high quality player if one becomes available, e.g...Fitzgerald or Ngata if things go south with their respective teams, and given the weakness of this draft and need for impact players i'd make such a move if the price isn't ridiculous.

This is a really good team going forward but they still have quite a few needs, fortunately they are well positioned to address them this offseason when things get worked out between players and owners.

I really cant believe there is this much confusion about whats important.
First--keep TB upright--OT
Second--Pass rusher--I really dont care what position he plays do you?
Third--franchising Mankins doesnt mean anything right now. Interior OL
The rest of the draft is simply a crapshoot but you have to come away with these 3 players in the top 33(or first 3 picks where they land).

Light will be back but should swap spots with Vollmer.

BB touched on this last season when he was talking about Vollmer's ability to play both tackle positions, and how rare it was. He talked about how they tried it a bit with Light in his rookie season, and he felt Light was better on the left side.

The Vollmer Question: Light's out??? - Extra Points - Boston.com

It's possible Light could play the right side, but it would be another question mark on an OL filled with question marks.

BB touched on this last season when he was talking about Vollmer's ability to play both tackle positions, and how rare it was. He talked about how they tried it a bit with Light in his rookie season, and he felt Light was better on the left side.

It's possible Light could play the right side, but it would be another question mark on an OL filled with question marks.

I think saw something last year in his first game when Vollmer was the starting LT. That game showed several things, first that he looks real good there and second, when Light shifted to the right side in a unbalanced line.....Light simply cant play on that side, he cant get over the lean. I think in a best case scenario Light would have signed before the end of the CBA year but him going vocal is bad karma. If the draft happens before free agency I think a starting RT should be a day 1 pick, Sherrod or prefferably Carimi could tutor under Kaczur a few games. Having to draft a starter wouldnt leave much room for Light back on the team IMHO.

I think saw something last year in his first game when Vollmer was the starting LT. That game showed several things, first that he looks real good there and second, when Light shifted to the right side in a unbalanced line.....Light simply cant play on that side, he cant get over the lean. I think in a best case scenario Light would have signed before the end of the CBA year but him going vocal is bad karma. If the draft happens before free agency I think a starting RT should be a day 1 pick, Sherrod or prefferably Carimi could tutor under Kaczur a few games. Having to draft a starter wouldnt leave much room for Light back on the team IMHO.

I agree, and I also wonder if Light is also slightly influenced by being the player rep for the current negotiations, which are quite tough, almost bitter. Maybe he isn't as interested in taking a hometown discount.

My guess is we'll have a shot at a quality DL at 17. I don't know if Sherrod or Carimi would be around at 28 though. It's odd to think that an OT might not go in the top 10. I wonder if there will be better value on day 2 if those guys are gone.

Good point.

If Belichik doesn't feel Light can play RT then i'd move him inside to replace Neal or Mankins if he leaves, which I actually don't think will happen at this point, i think they realize he's the best Guard in football and will pay him as such. If so then drafting a Tackle high makes alot of sense because Kaczur is not a reliable RT imo.

The Patriots are somewhat hamstrung right now because they really need to resolve the Mankins and Light contracts before the draft, and that may not be possible. if they don't then they have to address OL early so they don't get caught losing both and having a weak OL heading into next season.

Good point.

If Belichik doesn't feel Light can play RT then i'd move him inside to replace Neal or Mankins if he leaves, which I actually don't think will happen at this point, i think they realize he's the best Guard in football and will pay him as such. If so then drafting a Tackle high makes alot of sense because Kaczur is not a reliable RT imo.

The Patriots are somewhat hamstrung right now because they really need to resolve the Mankins and Light contracts before the draft, and that may not be possible. if they don't then they have to address OL early so they don't get caught losing both and having a weak OL heading into next season.

The major problem with Light is that he is coming off another Pro Bowl year and will be looking for a long term contract, likely his last big payday. While I think he would take a hometown discount he didnt before the end of the CBA because of his player-rep title as stated. We cant stick him inside because he will get money from someone else to play LT, and the difference in pay between he and Mankins is so marginal at that point that you may as well keep Mankins. I think they are holding onto Mankins rights similar to the Cassel franchising, no way do I see a scenario of him playing here next year. The draft occuring before free agency is going to force our hand, I'd rather take a rookie high rd RT than have to overpay for a older LT later. They have to plan on life without both of them going into the draft.

The major problem with Light is that he is coming off another Pro Bowl year and will be looking for a long term contract, likely his last big payday. While I think he would take a hometown discount he didnt before the end of the CBA because of his player-rep title as stated. We cant stick him inside because he will get money from someone else to play LT, and the difference in pay between he and Mankins is so marginal at that point that you may as well keep Mankins. I think they are holding onto Mankins rights similar to the Cassel franchising, no way do I see a scenario of him playing here next year. The draft occuring before free agency is going to force our hand, I'd rather take a rookie high rd RT than have to overpay for a older LT later. They have to plan on life without both of them going into the draft.

I disagree on Light and believe he will sign in NE, but agree that they have to approach it as though both will be gone. If the value is there i'm fine with them going OL early in this draft as having a great OL is a key to their success, and a weak one could cause them to come apart. The defense is young and although they need to continue upgrading the OL is their primary need as things currently stand.

I think Light loves playing in NE and he'll come to an abgreement to finsish his career here, and will leave significant money on the table to do so. Like Bruschi the Patriots may, unfortunately, underpay him big time simply because they can.

I really cant believe there is this much confusion about whats important.
First--keep TB upright--OT
Second--Pass rusher--I really dont care what position he plays do you?
Third--franchising Mankins doesnt mean anything right now. Interior OL
The rest of the draft is simply a crapshoot but you have to come away with these 3 players in the top 33(or first 3 picks where they land).

Improving the pass rush is a priority but it could be a matter of getting a DL who requires constant double teaming, and with Wilfork and another DL both doubled they will get the pressure they got when Seymour and Warren or Wilfork were getting that attention. Ultimately it will come down to how the draft falls and the grades they have on the players available to them, and i'm fine with either a really good DL or a really good OLB as long as they are the kind of players who bust their asses when they get to the pro's.

I like Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU in Rd. 5

Last edited:
That being said the biggest needs are OT, OG/C, 5-Technique, in that order. If the Pats stay put @ #17, 28, 33 my FANTASY draft for the first 3 picks would be:

17. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
28. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
33. Stefen Wisniewski, OG/C, Penn State

Those first three would be a great benefit to the Patriots both immediately and long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes