PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats need to re-sign Matt Light to avoid domino effect to OL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoure. First of all Soldier may very well earn the confidence of the team before the season starts and start at LT, but there are many senarios where Vollmer may start at LT and return to RT.
If by the start of the season the team feels more game time experience is needed by Soldier before he can be trusted with the blind side he may start at RT with Vollmer at LT.
That doesnt explain why they would switch them midseason.

There is also the possibility that Vollmer and Soldier may split time at LT till the team feels comfortable with Soldier at LT, in which case Kaczur would fill in at RT.
That is ridiculous. Vollmer is not going to split time.

Soldier may also split reps at both LT and RT early season till his starting roll get more defined.
Right now the team knows Vollmer can play the LT spot and untill Vollmer was drafted Kaczur has played the RT spot. Two things are needed early this season,one Soldier need to be worked into the LT spot and the best two OT's need to be on the field.
Kaczur has played more games at LT than Vollmer, btw.
Again, none of this has anything to do with flipfloping them mid season.

Soldier may need gametime reps (experience)with NFL quality DE's before earning the trust of the team to move left.
If he isnt ready, he isnt ready. You cant hide him on the right side.

In any case Vollmer has proven that he can play RT also (unlike Light who could not play RT effectively). RT being a different skillset than Soldier has played yet will make Vollmer a more effective player there. So when Soldier is ready to start at LT that move puts him into a possition he is most familiar with, and moveing Vollmer back to RT puts him in a possition he is most familiar with.
This makes no sesne. If Solder is playing RT in the NFL, then RT is the position he is most familiar with. There would be nothing to gain by switching them.

The conclusion of this explanation is Soldier haveing only played 3 seasons at OT, starting them all at LT is best placed in the possition he is most familiar with (LT)and Vollmer haveing played the majority of his pro career at RT means he will be in a possition of most familiarity at RT.
So why would you switch them to start with?
Even if you did, it would be completely foolish to switch them in the middle of a season. I would bet a lot of money that no NFL team has ever done that.

I believe it was you that decided to criticly disect one of my posts sentence by sentence, inviteing rebutal. Then distorting my statements in your arguments.
I copied in your ENTIRE post in order to show you which points I was responding to.
How can I distort your statement why I copy it in word for word?

If defending my oppinions against your attack
What attack? Am I not allowed to disagree?
You are the one who slung personal insults. I disagree with your opinions, and state mine. That is not an attack. You call me names, and throw personal insults at me. That IS an attack. An apology would be in order if you are saying attacking is wrong.

makes you appear wrong and unworthy (your words), it is what it is. I have no problems with your oppinions, just your tactics.
My 'tactic' was to respond point by point to your opinion. Yours was to call me names and sling personal insults.

Takeing sentences and phrases out of context and totaly changeing quotes and context.
I copied every word of your posts.

The first personal attack sent was by you on post 83 if you don't count all the one's you sent other posters ways. If you don't like it don't start it. Your opinion that my posts are MORONIC
Read post 80 which was the start, and which 83 was a response to. And the idea was moronic.

, and my suggestion that you are dence and delusional may be defendable but your calling other posters a **** is purely childish(post 64).Or maby everyone else is wrong and you are the proverbial authority.
Read the exchange. The guy was being a dlck. I stand behind that.

BB although not haveing served in the military and not being the child of an active serviceman has not an actual military background, but the fact that his father served in the navy and raised BB while being on the coaching staff of the Naval Acadamy at Anapolis can assure that military values and disipline were instilled at a very early age.
But that was not the case.

BB's involvement with his fathers possition in the Naval accadamy and football set up the man he is today who still expects those values and disipline's of his players today. So the Patriot way is the Naval Academy way.
That just isnt true. BB does not coach in a military manner at all.
You should read The Education of a Coach. You will see where the influences came from. It wasn't the military.

mil·i·ta·rism noun \ˈmi-lə-tə-ˌri-zəm\

Definition of MILITARISM
1a : predominance of the military class or its ideals b : exaltation of military virtues and ideals ---------------------------------------------------------------

— mil·i·ta·ris·tic \ˌmi-lə-tə-ˈris-tik\ adjective ----------Militaristic---Adjective

Consider yourself ENLIGHTENED !
Perhaps I was confused by the spelling:)

Ask anyone who has served, but with a little more respect than you currently have, or you may have a problem.
Respect is earned, and you jumped into this thread with a total lack of it.
I have tons of respect for the American military, because they have earned it. I have none for you because at this point you have earned none.
None of that changes that Bill Belichick does not have a Militaristic background, you know one is PREDOMINANTLY of the military class or its ideals.
BBs background was PREDIMINANTLY athletic (from his father) and Academic (from his mother).

You're still not getting it,Andy....If Light was signed for 2011,BB still would have picked Solder. Using Light as FA is just another smokesreen. And how about defending your Manieri at LT scenario?
My point is you just do not know that.
There is no question that Light being unsigned made LT and T in general as high a priority and need as existed on the team.
You can't simply ignore that and say it had no impact.

I responded to Maneri.
The only Ts on the roster were Vollmer, Kaczur, Maneri and Levouir.

Vollmer has to start on one side.
Kaczur is coming off back surgery and reportedly was asked to take a pay cut or be cut. Hardly sounds like a guy in the plans.
As I have said, substitute Levoir for Maneri in my original post if you wish, it makes no difference, we are in the same boat.

Are you suggesting the T position was in good shape with those 4?

SPECULATION of an article and the message board???? OOOOOOHHHHH! that is where I must go to learn something. Thanks for giveing up your great sources. Report said he was asked to take a pay cut and refused, THEN speculated he would be cut. Can't question that SPECULATION.
I gave the source because you said it didnt exist.

I suppose the speculation also stated that Kaczur said "F OFF" to the team. RIIIIGHT!
OK, so since you want to believe it didnt happen, you rip the source? Where do you think it came from that Kaczur was told he must take a paycut and said he would not. What do you think the consequence of that is?
Are you really saying that BB went into the draft rely on a guy to start at T that
1) He moved to G
2) Missed the entire season after back surgery
3) Was asked to take a paycut
4) Refused to take a paycut

Those sound like reasons to say the T position is all set because we have Kaczur.
You can't honestly tell me that you think BB could have felt the chances of Kaczur being the opening day starting T if he made no moves at the position were better than 1 in 10 with all of those factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is you just do not know that.
There is no question that Light being unsigned made LT and T in general as high a priority and need as existed on the team.
You can't simply ignore that and say it had no impact.

I responded to Maneri.
The only Ts on the roster were Vollmer, Kaczur, Maneri and Levouir.

Vollmer has to start on one side.
Kaczur is coming off back surgery and reportedly was asked to take a pay cut or be cut. Hardly sounds like a guy in the plans.
As I have said, substitute Levoir for Maneri in my original post if you wish, it makes no difference, we are in the same boat.

Are you suggesting the T position was in good shape with those 4?

You're backpeddling,again,AJ......Your contention was that Manieri would be the last option at LEFT tackle,ignoring the fact that Vollmer would be first on anyone's list as a replacement for Light,sans Solder.......No one,including you,was discussing the RIGHT tackle spot.

I do,however,admire your stubborness in sticking to the theory that Solder is a stop-gap pick.It is very much against the tide on this board.....Very "obama-like",if you will.

A couple of points concerning the discussion on the last few pages,

1. There is no way that BOTH Light and Kazcur stay. The Pats will keep one OR the other.
which one will depend on a lot of issue. Kazcur's health and condition. The amount of money each will play for. Which has the biggest desire to stay.

2. There are compelling reasons one could make for Light staying....and leaving.

a. Light has made NE his home. His kids are entrenched in the region. His off season pursuits and activities all center around the area. A lot of his future business opportunities are also tied to the area. Finally the short and very late FA period will further make it difficult to uproot his family so late in the year. He also has a long term strong relationship with Brady, Dante and Bill
b. He is at that stage where the Pats typically let go vet players (a year to early rather than a year too late). He has more value to a team like KC than he does to the Pats. The Pats invested in a high (for them) draft pick at the same position. A guy who possibly would take his position this year, but if not, DEFINITELY next year. So even if Light were to win the LT position this year, he isn't going to sign a one year deal to stay. He'll probably want a 3 year deal and accept 2
c. The question Light has to answer is, would he sign for 2 years here for 10MM with the likelihood that he ends his career as a back up. BUT keep his family and outside interests intact. OR sign for 14MM and be a starter for the next 2 years and have to uproot his family and business interests for the last few short years of his career.

3. You know when I read what I wrote, I find it VERY hard to conceive Light staying UNLESS the team makes the drastic move of unloading Mankins and giving Light the LG job....and him being willing to do it. That WOULD make sense cap wise as well as depth wise. There is no question in my mind that Light would be a great LG. Kazcur could then stay as a back up at BOTH the LT and LG positions, and the Pats would have 2 OLmen for less than the price of one.....and a likely 2nd round pick. It make a lot of sense, but isn't likely to happen....alas

4. On the issue of Solder's "relative strength", I have to weigh in with those who don't find it a huge concern. I don't think you can dismiss the arguments about the length of his arms contributing to the lack of reps and the fact so many very good OLmen also had similar BP results and managed to thrive. PLUS you can't ignore the fact that the kid has been LIVING with his strength coach this entire off season. I'd be willing to bet that if you put him to the test right now, you'd see an improvement in that suspect indicator. My immediate concerns about this kid will have more to do with his knee bend than his BP. He will get stronger....and bigger.

You're backpeddling,again,AJ......Your contention was that Manieri would be the last option at LEFT tackle,ignoring the fact that Vollmer would be first on anyone's list as a replacement for Light,sans Solder.......No one,including you,was discussing the RIGHT tackle spot.
OK fine, move Volmer to the left side, and then who is playing RT? Are you saying because its RT there is no longer a need?
Im not backpedalling in the least. There was an urgent need at T that influenced the Solder pick. Without that need he may or may not have still been selected. The Solder pick was not a referendum on getting rid of Matt Light.

I do,however,admire your stubborness in sticking to the theory that Solder is a stop-gap pick.It is very much against the tide on this board.....Very "obama-like",if you will.[/QUOTE]
How can I stick to a theory that I have never stated?
I don't know where you are getting your perception.
My point is and has been that a large factor in the Solder choice was that the Pats had 1 starting caliber OT on the roster, and there is no way to conclude that he would have been the pick if Light were here, ie his pick is not a condemnation of Light.

The question is whether Belichick believes that Light would be great LG for the next 2-3 years. If the answer is "yes", then I am more than fine with keeping Light as a starter and Kaczur as a backup. The alternative is to sign a long-term deal with Mankins, which I think is unlikely.

My fear is that we lose Light and have Mankins for only one year.

There is no question in my mind that Light would be a great LG. Kazcur could then stay as a back up at BOTH the LT and LG positions, and the Pats would have 2 OLmen for less than the price of one.....and a likely 2nd round pick. It make a lot of sense, but isn't likely to happen....alas

Last edited:
c. The question Light has to answer is, would he sign for 2 years here for 10MM with the likelihood that he ends his career as a back up. BUT keep his family and outside interests intact. OR sign for 14MM and be a starter for the next 2 years and have to uproot his family and business interests for the last few short years of his career.

From Miguel's page:

October 5, 2004 update - ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that "ESPN.Com has learned that the Super Bowl champions have reached agreement on a six-year contract extension for starting offensive tackle Matt Light, a deal that runs through the 2010 season. The extension is worth $27 million and includes total bonus money of $9 million."

October 9, 2004 update ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that "Light got a signing bonus of $2.5 million and an option bonus of $6.5 million payable next spring. His base salaries are $1 million each in 2005 and 2006, then $3.5 million (2007), $3.75 million (2008), $4.25 million (2009) and $4.5 million (2010)." The $2.5 million signing bonus will be prorated $416,667 a year over the 2004-2009 seasons. The $6.5 million option bonus will be prorated $1,300,000 a year over the 2005-2009 seasons. Therefore, Light's salary cap figures will be $2,722,827 (2005); $2,722,827 (2006); $5,223,387 (2007); $5,466,667 (2008), $5,966,667 (2009),$4,500,000 (2010).

This was an extension of of Light's rookie deal. Do you think Light can earn a larger salary now compared to any other point in his career?

I think 2 years 10 mil from the Pats is a stretch. 2 years 6 mil is my guess. 2 years 10 mil from another team might be realistic tho. If it comes down to my hypothetical terms I hope Light would finish it out in NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes