Pats need to re-sign Matt Light to avoid domino effect to OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Pats need to re-sign Matt Light to avoid domino effect to OL
By: John Morgan

When the lockout ends and NFL teams resume operations the first order of business for the New England Patriots should be to work out a contract with Matt Light....

The Patriots don't need to resign Light. IMO, He is only back if he is willing to take a paycut. He's not that good anymore.

I would sign Mankins first, Light second, otherwise i agree with the author that addressing the OL free agents is the first order of business.

I'm hoping they can bring back Todd Rucci and Max Lane...and perhaps Eugene Chung :D

The Patriots don't need to resign Light. IMO, He is only back if he is willing to take a paycut. He's not that good anymore.

Bill Belichik apparently believes he is good enough to protect Tom Brady's neck, that carries some weight. How someone can say "he isn't that good" based on NOTHING is beyond me.

Bill Belichik apparently believes he is good enough to protect Tom Brady's neck, that carries some weight. How someone can say "he isn't that good" based on NOTHING is beyond me.
Perhaps he is basing it on who the players and coaches chose for the probowl last year. Wait, who did they choose?........................

I'm hoping they can bring back Todd Rucci and Max Lane...and perhaps Eugene Chung :D

HEH..........Rucci & Lane = JOKER'S famous turnstile line.......:rocker:

Perhaps he is basing it on who the players and coaches chose for the probowl last year. Wait, who did they choose?........................

Unfortunately the roster stuff ends up becoming completely ridiculous and out of touch with reality, as we saw with people suggesting they get rid of Welker for a 2nd round pick. I like the draft as much as most but I'm not foolish enough to think my seriously uninformed views of prospects is good enough to base roster decisions off of, especially when even those who know what they are looking for and study the actual game tapes of the prospects are only right 40-50% of the time.

Whether or not they can offer Light a deal he would be willing to take is the big issue imo, keeping him if he will is a no-brainer because he is a quality proven LT with years of experience in their system protecting Brady. Solder is not going to be ready to be the full time LT for at least a year but will hopefully go on to a great career when he is ready, in the meantime keeping Light as a mentor and solid protection for Brady is the goal, and having him for the next few years would greatly add to their OL depth, especially if Vollmer or Solder end up on IR.

Imo Belichik knows the key to their future play-off success lies in protecting Brady, because if he has time they are going to hang 35 on any team they face, and this and age are the reasons he has devoted high picks to rebuilding the OL the past couple of years. If he was right about the young OL then they will be in great shape in the future, but that doesn't mean they should deplete their veteran depth now when they are already expected to be a final four team.

Unless he takes a big pay cut I don't see Light coming back. I think people waste a lot of time talking about something that is pretty much a non issue. For better or worse Solder will be LT next year.

The Light is out in New England. We can play SeaBass and Kaczur if Solder isn't ready. If Solder needs help, we've got Crumpler. Light is going to be looking for a 4-year going away retirement plan and he's not going to get it here. In my opinion, we'll re-sign Mankins to help the rookie and solidify the O-line and we'll re-sign Welker because he'll probably have his best year just to prove to everybody that last year was because of the knee.

If Solder is LT this coming year, he will have help for sure. Especially early on until he gets comfortable with NFL speed and players.....

Also, Mankins is a must sign......solidify the OL and look for Koppen's replacement in the next draft....:rocker:

You might tell Mankins that he is a must sign. Unless the fracnhise rules change, he will be playing for over $10M this year. He has no reason to sign anything.

If Solder is LT this coming year, he will have help for sure. Especially early on until he gets comfortable with NFL speed and players.....

Also, Mankins is a must sign......solidify the OL and look for Koppen's replacement in the next draft....:rocker:

In the case of Rucci and Lane, it's a good reminder that when an O Lineman's skills start to fade, they can fade quickly

I think Light still has more to contribute - but I don't think you want to count on him for much longer and I expect the Patriots offer to him will reflect this.

Light will have no trouble getting a job as a starter, with starter's pay. Unfortunately, it will be from another team.

In the case of Rucci and Lane, it's a good reminder that when an O Lineman's skills start to fade, they can fade quickly

I think Light still has more to contribute - but I don't think you want to count on him for much longer and I expect the Patriots offer to him will reflect this.

Last edited:
Light will have no trouble getting a job as a starter.

I hope so - but neither of us have seen him play this year, not to mention his competition.

With this being such a bizarre offseason you also have to assume that veterans have a big advantage - still it will be interesting to see if Vollmer begins to get first team reps at LT during whatever pre-season games they play - especially in blitzing situations where Light always seems to have a weakness for speed rushers.

You might tell Mankins that he is a must sign. Unless the fracnhise rules change, he will be playing for over $10M this year. He has no reason to sign anything.

Umm..he can always pass up MUCH MORE $$$$ and risk a serious injury that may negate future earnings for $10mil ....

May not be a smart move on his part...... Depends on what the Pats offer and what he is looking for....I'd like to see him locked up long term, but Dante has produced some decent OL under his tutelege and Pats have enough high picks next draft not to have to worry about an OG spot too much.....plus Cannon may be a beast at OG...who knows...:rocker:

You have to have skills in the first place for them to be able to fade.

was Light not BRUTAL in Pass Protection, but a stand out run blocker?

Perhaps Crump made Light's STAT on Run much HIGHER than it should have been?

was Light not BRUTAL in Pass Protection, but a stand out run blocker?

Perhaps Crump made Light's STAT on Run much HIGHER than it should have been?

Ahh yes, now that Light is on the way out, we're back to calling him a turnstile, lol. Just like the good 'ole days.

How can we be so comfortable with a freshman blocker who won't have nearly the benefit of a complete TC? I'd love it if he turns out to be on par with Vollmer in his rookie season. It is a tough call. I just see no motivation for Light to re-sign with NE. Would any of you? And while Dante is good, he still needs time to do his job, just like the rest of us red-blooded mortals.

Ahh yes, now that Light is on the way out, we're back to calling him a turnstile, lol. Just like the good 'ole days.

How can we be so comfortable with a freshman blocker who won't have nearly the benefit of a complete TC? I'd love it if he turns out to be on par with Vollmer in his rookie season. It is a tough call. I just see no motivation for Light to re-sign with NE. Would any of you? And while Dante is good, he still needs time to do his job, just like the rest of us red-blooded mortals.

Vollmer has PROVED he can play LT
If solder for some reason fails @ LT why can't he play RT?:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes