PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats need a TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson would sign in a heartbeat for $5M, so a franchise tag is certainly not an issue. Perhaps we should transition him, so that we can have an aopportunity to match.

Sound idea; you have some "inside info"?

What I expect if...

We keep Watson:
He's good for a handful of crazy TD's in the first half of the season and then never gets targeted again and we gripe about having better TE's or a better OC.

We let Watson go:
He makes the Pro-Bowl next year.

I think you can look solely and squarely at our scheme for the lack of production from the TE's. We just don't send them down the field that often, and when we do we don't look their way anyway.

I'd draft a good young blocking TE (Moeaki), and then look to pick up another vet or camp body in FA

That would be a good stat to know about. How many times was Watson sent out on a route compared to how many times he was kept in to block. Then compare that to the averages of the other top TEs.

What I expect if...

We keep Watson:
He's good for a handful of crazy TD's in the first half of the season and then never gets targeted again and we gripe about having better TE's or a better OC.

We let Watson go:
He makes the Pro-Bowl next year.

This is the correct post. No other posts are necessary :)

That would be a good stat to know about. How many times was Watson sent out on a route compared to how many times he was kept in to block. Then compare that to the averages of the other top TEs.

I've questioned the accuracy of this site a few times on some stats and formulas meant to indicate success & failure, but the way I look at it, it's better than nothing.

ProFootballFocus.com - By Player

Right, I might have found the stats. Give me an hour or so and I'll work it out.

In 2007 and 2009 Watson caught over 70% of the ball thrown to him which is slightly above average. In those years he had very few drops.

In 2008 he was brutal w/ catch % around 50% and 6 drops- last of all TE in the league.

70% does not tell the whole story. ProFootballFocus.com - By Player

There were games where Watson caught 50% and less, particulary down the stretch when Welker was gone and NE needed him to step up.

The first game of the season was his best. I think NE can do better.

70% does not tell the whole story. ProFootballFocus.com - By Player

There were games where Watson caught 50% and less, particularly down the stretch when Welker was gone and NE needed him to step up.

The first game of the season was his best. I think NE can do better.

I agree. I would not be disappointed if Watson was somewhere else next year.

Watson would sign in a heartbeat for $5M, so a franchise tag is certainly not an issue. Perhaps we should transition him, so that we can have an aopportunity to match.

We could have a shot to get Cooley if the Redskins take an OT in the first round and still want to grab a QB later on like McCoy or even Clausen if he slips, and give us #37 plus Cooley for #22.

I think Shanny then opts for Sheffler who McDaniel might move for a 4th. Those two are oil and water anyway.

Anyway, this all makes sense to me. Cooley is a huge upgrade over Watson. He's only 27. His contract is good until 2013 and he can be used like Clark and flex out. Therefor you can't use the "dime" with any consistency against us like when we use the spread. He is 250lbs and also no worse of a blocker than Watson.

We can fix the TE position for three more years with this move and actually see TE production. Brady can have more underneath check-downs and you can't switch coverage down low to both Cooley and Welker (or Edeleman) at the same time. Someone is single covered either short, medium or long. It changes the "blueprint" against the Pats offense by D coordinators who might use this years plan in 2010. Think Cooley=Clark!
DW Toys

We could have a shot to get Cooley if the Redskins take an OT in the first round and still want to grab a QB later on like McCoy or even Clausen if he slips, and give us #37 plus Cooley for #22.

I think Shanny then opts for Sheffler who McDaniel might move for a 4th. Those two are oil and water anyway.

Anyway, this all makes sense to me. Cooley is a huge upgrade over Watson. He's only 27. His contract is good until 2013 and he can be used like Clark and flex out. Therefor you can't use the "dime" with any consistency against us like when we use the spread. He is 250lbs and also no worse of a blocker than Watson.

We can fix the TE position for three more years with this move and actually see TE production. Brady can have more underneath check-downs and you can't switch coverage down low to both Cooley and Welker (or Edeleman) at the same time. Someone is single covered either short, medium or long. It changes the "blueprint" against the Pats offense by D coordinators who might use this years plan in 2010. Think Cooley=Clark!
DW Toys

Cooley is a fine receiving threat. My impression is that he is not much of a blocker either for passing or running plays. I'd need to check into that. I think he broke is leg or ankle last year too.

If hes fully recovered, I do think hes the type of player who would do pretty well with TB throwing his way.

I like Cooley. I wonder if we could trade Maroney and Sanders for him, straight up.

I like Cooley. I wonder if we could trade Maroney and Sanders for him, straight up.

Cooley is a glorified H Back, BB does not usually go these types. He likes the beefier types that can block and have speed.

At the end of the day, our offense has become WR driven, whether we like it or not. With the injury to Welker, BB has to make a dicision about what type of offense he wants in 2010. This may be a great year to have a TE that can block and make plays in the seam downfield.

If Moeski, Peek or Dray all run a 4.6 or better, then BB needs to draft the fastest of them. They are all willing blockers and can catch in the seam, where Watson fears to tread.

Cooley is a glorified H Back, BB does not usually go these types. He likes the beefier types that can block and have speed.

At the end of the day, our offense has become WR driven, whether we like it or not. With the injury to Welker, BB has to make a dicision about what type of offense he wants in 2010. This may be a great year to have a TE that can block and make plays in the seam downfield.

If Moeski, Peek or Dray all run a 4.6 or better, then BB needs to draft the fastest of them. They are all willing blockers and can catch in the seam, where Watson fears to tread.

Who knows. Shanny was very high on him in the 06 draft.

Heard Christian Fauria tell a Cooley story about when CF was with the Redskins. He said Cooley told all the TEs what he was going to do in meetings and film study was color the pages in his notebook with his blue pen with a goal of coloring every bit of every page by the end of the year.

Cooley doesn't sound like a guy who will be on BB's wish list.

Heard Christian Fauria tell a Cooley story about when CF was with the Redskins. He said Cooley told all the TEs what he was going to do in meetings and film study was color the pages in his notebook with his blue pen with a goal of coloring every bit of every page by the end of the year.

Cooley doesn't sound like a guy who will be on BB's wish list.

If he hasn't adressed his "doodle-itis", he won't last 5 minutes here.

I see a lot of him down here in the DC-tv area, and the guy comes across as dumber than a sack of hammers. I don't think he's a BB type at all.

Moeaki, 6'3", 250, good hands, adequate blocker, great attitude Rnd 3-4
Pitta, 6'4", 245, good hands not so good at blocking but gives good effort Rnd 4
Quarless, multiple run-ins with the police
Byham, 6'4", 265 good hands great blocker; blue collar guy w/great motor and max effort Rnd5-6
Dray, 6'5", 250, great hands good blocker; smart and full effort guy who caught only 10 passes his senior yr. Rnd 6
Yes, Quarless has a big caution flag, though one observer of Penn State football notes he's shown more maturity and finally started showing his talent on the field - I include him for the talent and all-round ability, NE will have to determine if the maturity is for real or from the scent of money.

Looking at the UFAs, none represent an upgrade over Baker. None of the RFAs are going to be worth the draft pick compensation, so the Draft and/or the trade market is the only way to address the position. There are rumors that Greg Olsen may be available in a trade from Chicago, and I'd consider it for a 4th round pick. Preferably, the Patriots would find a smooth, tall red zone target in the draft to team with Baker. However, the Patriots have consistently drafted shorter (almost all of their drafted TEs have been 6'3), workout warrior types, which I believe has been an overlooked factor in their recent red zone woes.

Very good points.

Edit: Considering the way our TEs have been (mis)used, there is no reason whatsoever to spend anything more than a 7th-round comp pick on one this year. Just keep Baker, re-sign Watson, and find a couple of others as UFA vets or UDFA kids.

Last edited:

I too feared whenever Watson ran one of those suicidal deep seam routes.

Almost every time that Brady threw to him, there was a Safety - or 2 - waiting to clean his clock, and to either cause him to drop the pass, or fumble, or start an INT.

Those passes should never, ever be attempted unless they are preceded by play-action so that the Safeties are chasing the Receiver instead of charging at him.

What's so wrong about sending the TEs on simple dig or curl patterns, or slants if he can out-run his coverage? Those are the patterns Watson should be running - ones which get him the ball quickly & in stride, and which he can then out-run his defender with the ball already in his hands.

OJ I don't necessarily agree with you that BB doesn't covet H Back type tight ends. David Thomas was only 239lbs and Garrett Mills was 227lbs and only 6' 1". Remember the Vikings got him when BB was trying to hide him through waivers. Chilly and BB had a little tif about that. Cooley is 250lbs and is not any worse blocker than Watson. He is just a better offensive threat and way more dependable. Before his ankle injury he had 29 catches in 7 games with a mediocre QB. For the whole year Watson had.....29 catches! And that was with one Tom Brady. Cooley s' receptions would work out to 66 all things being equal in 2009 with Jason Campbell throwing to him. It is going to cost plenty to resign Watson (almost $6 million) as the top scale on an NFL TE. Why would he take less? He is the best UFA available in that small class of TEs.
The franchise levels for 2010 are: $16.405 million for quarterbacks; $8.156 million for running backs; $9.521 million for wide receivers; $5.908 million for tight ends; $10.731 million for offensive linemen; $12.398 million for defensive ends; $7.003 million for defensive tackles; $9.680 million for linebackers; $6.455 million for safeties; $9.566 million for cornerbacks; and $2.814 million for punters and kickers.
This is according to the NFLPA.

Cooley's contract was $30m for six years. Cooley should cost us less than Watson.

I still think he is your Clark type TE in that mold but a superb weapon for TB.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing