PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats loss to Bills: pass rush discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean it literally, I meant from a football perspective. I mean, one sack and a pressure over an 17 game season is as close to invisable in football as can be possibly imagined. Although, I did see him on special teams yesterday, he didn't do anything, but his number showed up on TV.

Football outsiders credited him with 1 sack, 4 QB hits, and 17 hurries. You are flat out wrong.

As for the pass rush, what is missing from the pass rush that completely dominated the Bucs' starting OL in the preseason? It's the same guys, even without Haynesworth, but Ellis and Carter suddenly aren't getting it done.

Football outsiders credited him with 1 sack, 4 QB hits, and 17 hurries. You are flat out wrong.

As for the pass rush, what is missing from the pass rush that completely dominated the Bucs' starting OL in the preseason? It's the same guys, even without Haynesworth, but Ellis and Carter suddenly aren't getting it done.

1.) The element of 'newness'/surprise

2.) Blitzes

pass rush????

I get a better "rush" when a take a squirt...

There is something schematically wrong with the way the Patriots D-line tries to rush the passer, that is the only answer. The people who they have on the line have a history behind them, they aren't all that old and they are all pretty healthy. Andre Carter should be able to apply pressure, Shaun Ellis was a pretty good pass rusher last year, Jermane Cunningham may or may not be another second round bust, but I am beginning to think that it has more to do with coaching and scheme than it does talent.

I know that BB claims that pressure is as good as a sack, I believe that he is lying when he tell people that. Maybe Pepper Johnson isn't doing his job? Maybe the coaching staff, the smallest in the league I believe, is getting overwhelmed by the amount of work that they have to do? There is something wrong with the way the defense is operating. If it isn't fixed, they won't make the playoffs.

This is the guy who was brought in to be a pass rusher, and over 16 games he gets one sack, 4 QB hits and 17 pressures? That means that he didn't rush the passer except for once,he hit the QB once a quarter of the season and got into the backfield slightly more than once a game. Does anybody remember the sack? Was he chasing a QB out of bounds and got a sack without touching the QB or did he actually beat his man and make a tackle? The one pressure that I remember, and it is the only one of consequence, was against the Colts late in the game, it might have been on the interception to seal the win.

Invisable is being kind.

Last edited:
Funny Stat.....
Leading Sack leader for Pats - Anderson. - 2.0 Sack

Leading Sack leader of ex_Pat 2011 - Whilhite - 2.0 Sack

lol.

Fortunately the season is early and their is hope the D will improve.

I'm looking at the roster and I just don't see where the improvement on Defense is going to come from. When we lost 31-3 after dumping Milloy, you could see the talent on the team - you knew it was just a matter of time.

What exactly do we have now that gives you any hope?

Safety: Barrett and Brown are our starters at safety, so scratch any hope of significant improvement there. Whatever was BB thinking...

DLine: Pyror is gone, Wright probably too. Haynesworth can't play more than a handful of snaps every other game. Wilfork is immovable, but then again he can't move. Carter and Anderson - what you see is what you get and what I've seen so far ain't so great. Forget any thoughts of consistently pressuring the QB.

Linebacker: Cunningham? I mean, Mr. Invisible. Mayo's a great tackler and a solid player, but can't seem to make any plays (i.e. can't make-up for everyone else on the D). Guyton and Spikes? Eh and eh. Ninkovich? Another eh. How many people here got excited about Dane Fletcher in the preseason? I mean, we got excited about Dane Fletcher...what does that say?

The only bright spot is the CB position - I think people are concerned about McCourty's recent struggles mainly because they're afraid he'll follow Butler off the talent cliff. I don't think so. And there's a lot of talent there to build upon. Too bad they have to cover for 7-8 seconds every down, and will never be able to count on decent safety help.

The real improvement will be made on the offensive side of the ball, as BB moves to a more balanced attack with Ridley and Vereen out of a 2 TE set. Too bad we dumped our tight ends though, cause that means more 3 WR sets where they don't ever run and Brady only ever finds Wes.

Last edited:
(Former) Coach Billick weighs in...

NFL Power Rankings - Top 32 NFL Football Teams - FOX Sports on MSN

It’s official. We should start worrying about the Patriots' defense. Down by 21 points, everyone knew the Bills and Ryan Fitzpatrick would have to pass on virtually every down. Belichick is known for taking away what you do best, so that makes me wonder…

OK -power polls are worth the paper that they are printed on BUT he asks an important question...

Re: (Former) Coach Billick weighs in...

Zero Pass Rush = Lots of completions, especially with scrubinis playing Safety.

It's the old rope-a-dope. Belichick is just setting the league up.

Right now this defense is all potential, and none of that potential is being realized. Haynesworth returning will help our run defense and Dowling and Chung (even though he is still somewhat of a liability in coverage) coming back will help the pass defense. All that we'd have left is for McCourty to learn both man coverage and the art of turning his head around, for Mayo to stop viciously overpursuing, for Fletcher to play more than Guyton, and for Barrett and Brown to play at a level approaching a professional safety. Most of these things can happen and are easily correctable, but the safety position will always worry me for the rest of the year. Why we let go of Meriweather and Sanders is still beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes