PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats loss to Bills: pass rush discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discouraging, but not the end of the world. It's still September, the last time the Bills beat us my wife was pregnant with our 7 year old, and it took a HORRIFIC game by Brady to get beaten by a field goal. There is plenty of time for this stuff (pass rush, 85, secondary) to work itself out.

I was in a sports bar so it was hard to really see all facets. That said, it didn't look that bad to me. There was decent pressure. We do need AH back though. On several big catches, the DB's got not jams in the 5 yard zone. Something we need to work on.

You must have been looking at other games too much, because our pass rush was possibly the worst I have seen in a game by this team in years.

Re: no rush no rings...

No pass rush, no playoffs---amen.

Well Said!
I've been SCREAMIN this since BB had a chance to get Julius peppers & others. Pass RushLESS DOOMED Pats Superbowl 4 & 5 Wins last couple of years!

Discouraging, but not the end of the world. It's still September, the last time the Bills beat us my wife was pregnant with our 7 year old, and it took a HORRIFIC game by Brady to get beaten by a field goal. There is plenty of time for this stuff (pass rush, 85, secondary) to work itself out.

I don't get the 'horrendous game by Brady' opinion.
He put 31 points on the board. One pick bounced off Woodheads hands while he was falling down, another bounced off a DLs helmet. Not much you can do about that. Some say the int to 85 was 85s fault, but regardless call it 2 bad picks vs putting up 31 and 495 yards of total offense. That is far from horrendous.

i know it wasnt brady's finest moment today, but still i dont want his carrer wasted like a peyton mannings , we need to strike while the iron is hot, but we also do need to focus on the run as well

the pats have become the red sox. score 10 runs and they win. score only 3 and they lose.

can't rely on brady and scoring 30 points every game. we should be able to score 17 points and win

that being said i realize brady set them up in some real primetime field position.

Please don't compare the pats to the crappy red sox

Neither Shaun Ellis or Andre Carter seem capable of doing anything other than taking up space.

Couldn't tell if Anderson played.

Ninkovich is a one-trick pony pass rusher, and like TBC before him his trick isn't very good.

One thing I also noticed is that our corners had some difficulty making jams at the LOS.

This game is on Brady..not the D...pats had plenty of chances to keep scoring..but when they looked good...boom..pick..can't keep doing that to the D

Can't keep doing what to the D? Throwing picks in the red zone and setting Buffalo at their own 10 or their own 5? The defense gave up 3 scoring drives when Buffalo started inside their own 10. Let's not pretend the offense kept putting the D on a short field.

The offense left a lot of points on the field.
The defense gave up a lot of points.
Total team loss.

Last edited:
Ninkovich is a one-trick pony pass rusher, and like TBC before him his trick isn't very good.
And you know when you got a guy like that you just have to sign him to an extension :rolleyes:

And you know when you got a guy like that you just have to sign him to an extension :rolleyes:

He's not a bad player, but when you're relying on him to provide your pass rush, you have serious issues.

This game is on Brady..not the D...pats had plenty of chances to keep scoring..but when they looked good...boom..pick..can't keep doing that to the D

You have got to be kidding !!!!

I bet you blame the offense for losing the superbowl in 2007 as well..

People we have posters blaming the best QB to ever play this game IMO for losing a game when the bounces didn't go his way,but how about a stop?

When this team needs a 98 yard drive to a score to win or tie chances are we get it.If this team had a defense half as good as the offense there would be no stopping us and we could have 5 superbowls by now and my concern we are wasting one of the best offenses ever to play this game with a pathetic defense where a coach goes for it on 4th down on there own side of the field more than any other coach..What does that tell you???

Last edited:

Going back to last year, the Pats are always going to be as good as Brady. He's going to have his bad games. Unfortunately, when he does, their running game or defense rarely comes to the rescue.

Going back to last year, the Pats are always going to be as good as Brady. He's going to have his bad games. Unfortunately, when he does, their running game or defense rarely comes to the rescue.

Amen..:rocker:

If you're going to be effective playing with four guys in a three point you have to win on individual matchups. Right now they aren't winning the individual matchups. It's that simple in my mind.

If you're going to be effective playing with four guys in a three point you have to win on individual matchups. Right now they aren't winning the individual matchups. It's that simple in my mind.
I'm starting think they should have signed Peppers a couple years ago.

Whatever happened to scheming a pass rush?

I'd just like to see our staff be able to scheme a consistent pass rush when it's needed. Many teams do; we can't for some reason.

Surely, our pass rushers aren't so lacking in skills that they can't get after the opposing QB are they? I mean, plenty of teams have similarly talented players but can, at least, cause some semblance of confusion for the opposing QB. I mean, for how long now have we seen this Pats defense make average QB look like HOFers because they seemingly have no issues dissecting the scheme the Pats use? I just don't get it!

I'm starting think they should have signed Peppers a couple years ago.

I would have loved that signing as well man. The fact of the matter is that the roster is, to be cliche, what it is. As it currently stands there is nothing they can do until they gel, people get healthy, and some concepts begin to be implemented. I'll hold off judgements until November, but as it stands right now this team needs to get creative up front and in a hurry.

I posted this in another D thread, but that thread got completely derailed with name-calling and insults. So, here it is :)

I mentioned this in the game-thread. It seems to me that we're playing a straight up game play - 4 down lineman (or 3DL, and a down LB) rush the QB, CB play man, S play some kind of deep zone, and thats it. That seems to be the only call in the playbook. Maybe 10% of the time, send a 5th rusher.

We don't have the horses to get to the QB with our DL, especially with AH out of the game. I miss seeing those exotic fronts - pressure coming from unexpected locations, CB's blitzing, S blitzing while DE drop into coverage. We don't seem to do any of that this year.

I don't know if it's a philosophy change, of if BB doesn't think the kids out there are ready to run that level of gameplan. Regardless, I'd like to see ALOT more of it, as the results can't be much worse than they are now running what looks to me like a very very vanilla D.

pass rush discussion? .................................................crickets chirping

Hanyesworth was not in which definitely was an impact. I did see some 3-4 and not a lot of blitzing. For a passing team that is the best type of defense to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes