PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats loss to Bills: late timeout at 1-yard line discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukes

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hey... what happened to our time out?

can anyone tell me exactly what happened?

Re: Hey... what happened to our time out?

i second that. BB cannot possibly be that dumb to blow a timeout to get an explanation

Clock would have started on ready for play after the challenge. He called the TO to stop the clock before that.

i second that. BB cannot possibly be that dumb to blow a timeout to get an explanation
I think Rich Gannon was the one who was dumb, if it was ruled he was down one th 1 yard line, then the clock was gonna run after they placed the ball. Problem was they let the clock run like 6 or 7 seconds before they called it a TD. So the clock, prb should of started at 1:50 instead of 1:43.

I have no idea why the broadcasters couldn't understand it, because there was nothing weird at all.

Jackson was ruled down at the 1-yard line. The clock would therefore continue to run because he was in bounds; so the officials likely told Belichick they would begin running the clock and asked if he wanted to use a timeout. Belichick has a hissy fit at them, when the hissy fit should have been reserved for Devin McCourty, the genius who tackled Jackson at the one-yard line, thus eliminating any chance of winning the game. In McCourty's defense, you could argue that the Bills never would have been at the one-yard line had he not played like a slower, less instinctive version of Darius Butler for most of game, especially when it mattered most.

Oh OK that makes sense...unlike so many things in this game.

I honestly thought they charged us a timeout because BB wouldn't stop yelling and demanding an explanation.

I'm not say the officiating lost us the game by a longshot because that's obviously untrue to anyone with two eyes, but I am not at all liking what I'm seeing so far. So many WTF calls. And that's even excluding the Brown call. I absolutely loathe pass interference as a penalty and always have. Sure, just give em fifty yards. No problem.

THE timeout

What is so hard to understand about it? Gannon didn't get it. A lot of people here don't get it. Belichick is getting crucified for it.......If he doesn't call timeout, the ball is on the 1 yard line and TIME IS RUNNING. I have seen many posts on this. I started it's own thread to hopefully put an end to it!!!! Enough already.

Re: THE timeout

You are correct. On point post. I don't understand how the announcers, or anyone else, didn't understand that simple fact. Belicheck made the only move available.

Last edited:

What is so hard to understand about it? Gannon didn't get it. A lot of people here don't get it. Belichick is getting crucified for it.......If he doesn't call timeout, the ball is on the 1 yard line and TIME IS RUNNING. I have seen many posts on this. I started it's own thread to hopefully put an end to it!!!! Enough already.

Yep, that's what I got too. I didn't understand why BB was pissed at the ref though. I didn't prowsed to the game thread or watched post-game coverage, so maybe it has been explained.

Yep, that's what I got too. I didn't understand why BB was pissed at the ref though. I didn't prowsed to the game thread or watched post-game coverage, so maybe it has been explained.

Supposedly he was arguing that the clock had run 10-12 seconds after that play and they didn't put it back on the clock.

the announcers though the clocked stopped after the penalty

the announcers though the clocked stopped after the penalty

What penalty? The clock stopped when they ruled a TD. After it was reversed, the clock would have started when the ref signalled for it to start.

that announcer was an idiot. the timeout was needed. you are correct.

why didn't anyone in the booth correct him after the 5th time he said it?

Because the time was INCORRECT and should have been reset. And the clock doesn't start running until the teams are given ample chance to get personnel on the field after a review like that.

What penalty? The clock stopped when they ruled a TD. After it was reversed, the clock would have started when the ref signalled for it to start.

And it wouldn't have been signalled to start until it had been properly reset and until the teams were given time to get personnel onto the field.

Because the time was INCORRECT and should have been reset. And the clock doesn't start running until the teams are given ample chance to get personnel on the field after a review like that.

What's that got to do with the timeout?

Since there are so many comments on this event in so many threads, perhaps it's better to have one thread discussing the timeout at the one-yard line.

What penalty? The clock stopped when they ruled a TD.

Actually, it didn't -- it ran another 10 or 12 seconds after the TD signal. That's what Bill was mad about. But it really didn't make any difference.

But the key point here is right -- they were going to wind the clock on the ready to play and that's why Bill called the TO.

The clock operators were crazy all game. There were two plays in the drive to end the first half where the patriots got tack on penalties after plays that ended in bounds. The clock should have started on both after assessment of the penalties, but they didn't. At the time it seemed good for the Patriots, because they were driving and didn't need to use time outs. After the interception, though, the ironic result was that the Bills had about 20 to 25 seconds they shouldn't have had and used them to score a FG.

The Timeout

With 1:48 remaiming, the reasons you do not call a timeout ahead of time: (1) For all you know the Bills, once play resumed, could have lined-up and plowed ahead to quickly get TD out of the way before anything bad happened; (2) Why tip your hand before you have to--Call a timeout once you see the clock winding down as each Referee does it at a different time; (3) The Referee can foul-up too and not wind the clock down at all. Rare to see Belichick panic during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down