PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats loss to Bills: Bill O'Brien discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
That LOSS goes on Bill O'Brien

We go up 21-0 quickly thanks to 2 INTs by Kyle Arrington.

We have a comfortable lead going into the 2nd half.

We're on the road, against a good offense, with a pumped up crowd.

Instead of killing the clock and taking the crowd out of it.... we continue to pass as if we were DOWN 21-0 and trying to catch up.

The momentum swung when Barnett slammed Woodhead and then someone hit Welker helmet to helmet a couple plays later. Defenses don't get that brave when they've got 300lbs Offensive Linemen pancaking THEM and blocking them. Woodhead then missed a pass from Brady and the Bills get an INT.

We then continued passing. Theres no doubt in my mind that O'Brien was going to record books, with the Win as an afterthought.

Ridley would be brought in for a couple runs, and did good. But Ridley and the OLine were never allowed to get in a groove, because shortly after we'd be passing the ball again and again.

Then BJGE and Woodhead would cycle in. Edelman was even used on some failed runs. We'd try draw plays far too often. None of the RBs were allowed to get in a rhythm.

Did OBrien not watch last weeks game when lined straight up for run plays and closed the game out with our OLine and BJGE in the 4th??

Our offense became PAINFULLY predictable. The pass to Gronkowski that was Intercepted is a play Ive seen us run numerous times this year already. Ofcourse he got doubled late in the game, because it was obvious Brady would be throwing his way.

The short routes underneath were getting cut off late in the game. There was little to no surprise or unpredictability to our attack.

There's no reason Brady shouldve thrown 4 INTs, because he shouldnt have even been passing so much after we went up 21-0.

Brady also has 40+ passes in each of the first 3 games this year. That's a good way to prematurely end a 34 year olds career. Every time he drops back, he puts more wear and tear on his arm. He takes an unnecessary risk of being hit and injured. Theres absolutely NO REASON he shouldve been slinging the ball around so much on the road when we had such a comfortable lead.

We also have on of the best OLine's to pound the ball with Mankins, Light, Waters, and Solder. Yet OBrien insisted on passing the entire game.

All I can say is it's only week 3, and hopefully the coaching staff notices this and the team learns from it. If not, we're going to fail in the playoffs once again.

Last edited:
Re: That LOSS goes on Bill O'Brien

No, the loss goes on the New England Patriots. It's a team sport. The only phase of the game they didn't severely **** up in was special teams.

Up until the INT's started piling up, we were passing with almost no trouble and actually weren't getting much on the ground. You don't abandon what's working in the first half against a team averaging almost 40 points.

No, the loss goes on the New England Patriots. It's a team sport. The only phase of the game they didn't severely **** up in was special teams.

I disagree.

The coaches are the ones who dictate the game. They put the players in position to win or lose.

We were in comfortable position to Win, and OBrien was calling plays that put us in a position to lose.

Up until the INT's started piling up, we were passing with almost no trouble and actually weren't getting much on the ground. You don't abandon what's working in the first half against a team averaging almost 40 points.

Averaging 40 points?

They had only played 2 games before us, and I garauntee they arent good enough to avg 40 points the entire season.

My point is, we didnt have to play it like a shootout when we were winning 21-0 and our Defense was picking off Fitzpatrick.

We beat ourselves.

While I agree that we should have been running the ball more, how can you attribute the entire loss to any one person? We had soooo many people out with injury, was that BOB's fault too? What about our nightmarish secondary play? Is this somehow his fault too? And the ~50 yards in penalties?

While I agree that the playcalling needed more run plays, there were a lot of reasons why we lost that game.

The more you pound the ball,the longer the defense is on the field and the better chance the running game becomes more prevalent as the defense starts to tire.

Thats what you do with a 21 point lead...not try and score 60

Belichick is not Don Coryell and Brady is not Dan Fouts.....more run with a good lead is almost a no brainer.

I think sometimes the team gets a little bit too nuts on trying to score 40 points or more than to keep a lower profile and take time off the clock,thereby running a defense ragged.

I hate the Steelers with a passion but they won tons of games over the decade with that in mind...it may have been different before NE had this anemic defense because we knew the D would stop the opponent, but now things have to change.

Last edited:

Not sure it sunk in that Brady's day was going south on him....2 of the passes were fluke tips that usually don't happen ..... but agree being up by 21 it would be time to ground and pound until they stop your running game..kick the field goal if necessary and be up by 3 scores.....the pass to Woody isn't a high % int type pass but Ridley was running nicely...WTF was BOB thinking???

Hey, why don't all you arm chair QB's focus on the injurys and the bad prep & play from our multi mlillion dollar head coach and QB.
Placing blame is for losers. Winners find the problem and fix it.

In the words of Captain Conner (Sir Sean Connery)

-"I am very, very okotta!
- Pissed off?
- Yes! Pissed off."

While I agree that we should have been running the ball more, how can you attribute the entire loss to any one person? We had soooo many people out with injury, was that BOB's fault too? What about our nightmarish secondary play? Is this somehow his fault too? And the ~50 yards in penalties?

While I agree that the playcalling needed more run plays, there were a lot of reasons why we lost that game.

This point is exactly how I feel. I too would like to see some more balance in the offense especially since we drafted two running backs, one of whom has shown some good stuff in his limited time in real games. But this loss is not one mans fault. It's the fault of the team. You can pick out one instance where the team failed to win the game or save the game. But you're picking that instance from a very large pool of similar failed instances. Give credit where credit is due and the patriots as a TEAM deserve credit for this loss.

I agree, we need to run the ball more. It's time to unleash Ridley.:rocker:

When O'Brien threw that INT that was returned for a TD, I threw something at my TV screen. Oh wait, that was Brady.

When O'Brien got burnt by Stevie Johnson for a TD, I screamed. No wait! That was Devin McCourty.

O'Brien really blew it when he got flagged for pass interference in the end zone. Nope. That was Sergio Brown.

To blame the loss on O'Brien is ignorant. The O'Brien haters are quick to blame him for the losses, but never give him credit for the wins. This happened when McDaniels was here (RIP maverick04, at least as a poster) and even happened with Weiss.

There were definitely problems with the play calling at times yesterday, but it wasn't the reason the Pats lost. It was A REASON, but there were many more and many that were bigger reasons.

When O'Brien threw that INT that was returned for a TD, I threw something at my TV screen. Oh wait, that was Brady.

When O'Brien got burnt by Stevie Johnson for a TD, I screamed. No wait! That was Devin McCourty.

O'Brien really blew it when he got flagged for pass interference in the end zone. Nope. That was Sergio Brown.

To blame the loss on O'Brien is ignorant. The O'Brien haters are quick to blame him for the losses, but never give him credit for the wins. This happened when McDaniels was here (RIP maverick04, at least as a poster) and even happened with Weiss.

There were definitely problems with the play calling at times yesterday, but it wasn't the reason the Pats lost. It was A REASON, but there were many more and many that were bigger reasons.

Haha what a wonderful response to this thread! Nice work!

We go up 21-0 quickly thanks to 2 INTs by Kyle Arrington.

We have a comfortable lead going into the 2nd half.

We're on the road, against a good offense, with a pumped up crowd.

Instead of killing the clock and taking the crowd out of it.... we continue to pass as if we were DOWN 21-0 and trying to catch up.

The momentum swung when Barnett slammed Woodhead and then someone hit Welker helmet to helmet a couple plays later. Defenses don't get that brave when they've got 300lbs Offensive Linemen pancaking THEM and blocking them. Woodhead then missed a pass from Brady and the Bills get an INT.

We then continued passing. Theres no doubt in my mind that O'Brien was going to record books, with the Win as an afterthought.

Ridley would be brought in for a couple runs, and did good. But Ridley and the OLine were never allowed to get in a groove, because shortly after we'd be passing the ball again and again.

Then BJGE and Woodhead would cycle in. Edelman was even used on some failed runs. We'd try draw plays far too often. None of the RBs were allowed to get in a rhythm.

Did OBrien not watch last weeks game when lined straight up for run plays and closed the game out with our OLine and BJGE in the 4th??

Our offense became PAINFULLY predictable. The pass to Gronkowski that was Intercepted is a play Ive seen us run numerous times this year already. Ofcourse he got doubled late in the game, because it was obvious Brady would be throwing his way.

The short routes underneath were getting cut off late in the game. There was little to no surprise or unpredictability to our attack.

There's no reason Brady shouldve thrown 4 INTs, because he shouldnt have even been passing so much after we went up 21-0.

Brady also has 40+ passes in each of the first 3 games this year. That's a good way to prematurely end a 34 year olds career. Every time he drops back, he puts more wear and tear on his arm. He takes an unnecessary risk of being hit and injured. Theres absolutely NO REASON he shouldve been slinging the ball around so much on the road when we had such a comfortable lead.

We also have on of the best OLine's to pound the ball with Mankins, Light, Waters, and Solder. Yet OBrien insisted on passing the entire game.

All I can say is it's only week 3, and hopefully the coaching staff notices this and the team learns from it. If not, we're going to fail in the playoffs once again.

Our offense is what it is. Deal with it. Dont like it? Get an internship and hope you get your chance.

O'Brian did not throw one pass yesterday.

You're really understating the importance of defense, I find it disrespectful to Brady.

We were never going to win every game. Time to let go of 2007.

I didn't know Bill O' Brien play QB, SS, FS, CB, WR, DE, DT, LB and even probably Punter, pretty sure it was BOB wearing Mesko jersey.

BOB, one-man-Team.

I thought that we just had a Bill O'Brien appreciation thread.

I thought that we just had a Bill O'Brien appreciation thread.

As TFB would say in a squeaky voice, "Oh THAT Bill O'Brien!"

Don't you guys know? O'Brien controls Brady's arm like a puppet-master. In fact if you look in the record books, it is recorded as 400 yards by master O'Brien rather than by Brady.

When Brady is off, he's off thru the game! You can bet, like when he throws short into the turf, It's throughout the game. He was off all day! He screwed the pooch. This team is set up to score offensively because as we all know our D sux. Not all Brady's fault but any means, just a part of a dismal performance by most. Another thing you count on is a game of redemtion the following week! And if not?..:beatingcoming:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes