PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

pats look at bethel johnson during bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ne5patsfan4

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Patriots didn't exactly take the whole holiday off this week as they enjoyed a rare late bye week. They actually took a look at one player who could help their wide receiver corps. While it's unclear the extent of the visit, the one interesting part is that the visitor was free agent Bethel Johnson.

At first look this seems a strange occurrance. The Patriots are loaded at wide receiver. There's not enough balls to go around as it is. Why have Johnson in for a visit when he already knows the culture in New England?

Could it be that he is desperately looking for work, and the Patriots are thinking that some of the players currently on the roster won't be around in a little over a month and a half?

Could be.

from patriotsinsider.com

He could provide a downfield threat if Moss or Stallworth went down to injury. Not a very credible one, but it'd be better than reworking the scheme, I think.

Bethel's done. Stick a fork in him.

They should be be bringing LBs for visits, instead of the 2nd-round eff-up that was BJ.

Last edited:
Surprising news...

Damn he was fast in Madden...

Bizarre. The only thing that I could think of is perhaps the coaches aren't happy with Jackson's production.

Great kick returner when healthy. Was a gunner too, I believe.

The pats love to pick up former head cases who have eaten some humble pie.

Tebucky didn't get a chance, but he was ready to go.

He's had good ability as a return man, and Ray Clay beat me to saying it....

Last edited:
bj had to be one of the worst BB picks ever... didnt we trade up for him (not sure)?
coulda grabbed Anquan Boldin, Osi Umenyiora, or Lance Briggs at that pick.
i remember seeing bj in the hotel lobby before a game once... chatting away on his cell phone... while rodney went straight to his hummer and basically said, to us, "no comment, we got a game to play today"

didnt we trade up for him (not sure)

Yes. He was a lousy pick in an otherwise stellar draft. (That draft actually got us three Pro Bowlers, if you count the pick that became Wilfork.)

Anyhow, this is a time of year the Pats get an early jump on the next season. E.g., they've been known to sign guys to futures contracts.

Bethel was, IIRC, a pretty solid ST player. It wasn't just the returns; he also forced or recovered at least one fumble on kick coverage.

Johnson is at best a 5th option on this team, prob a 6 or 7

I never would have expected that! I would have guessed several other former players brought in for a walk-through before Bethel.

BJ? that is surprising...

but i think if we do take him back, it will be solely for ST purposes...maybe a cheaper version of Kelley washington? who i dont think will be back next yr, and we wont need for the wr position?

It always seemed like Bethel was on the outs for attitude and/or intellectual reasons. That's why I'm most surprised. Although, to be fair if you watch the 2003 3GTG, Bethel's role was quite prevalent.

It always seemed like Bethel was on the outs for attitude and/or intellectual reasons. That's why I'm most surprised. Although, to be fair if you watch the 2003 3GTG, Bethel's role was quite prevalent.

the 2003 wut? 3 games to glory????

Gotta be strictly as a kick returner, even then it is Hobbs, then Welker, then Faulk, then CJ, then TB...

the 2003 wut? 3 games to glory????

Yes. Or was it 2004? The year he had the TD KO return against Indy during the regular season. 2003 I think.

Guys I read about this in an article at Patriots Insiders last night. I didn't want to post it because those guys are very sensitive about that kind of thing. The article I read suggested that this interest in Bethel Johnson might have something to do with Stallworth and Jackson. I have had a feeling all year that one or both of those guys will be gone this offseason. This is definately something to watch. They did say something else that was very interesting in the article. They suggested that the Pats might make a move at the WR position during the Playoffs. I wonder who they are going to cut to make a move like that?
I was very surprised that last week that Jackson was inactive and Spann was promoted to take Andrew's spot. He's not even useful on Special Teams and he's healthy. I honestly thought that Jackson would establish a role for himself on the team after he came off PUP. I'm surprised that he hasn't.

Last edited:
c'mon. This isn't about the WR position. This is all about kickoff return. BB is looking at the Chicago STs with envy, asking himself "how do I get something like THAT?"

Using your starting CB or starting WR as your kickoff return guy is playing with fire, especially in the playoffs. Willie Andrews is an option, but Faulk is not a guy that's going to break a kickoff for a TD. Bethel has always been a compelling weapon on kickoff return. The fact that BB tried Jackson at kickoff return (vs Miami? or was it the Jets?) is a sign that he's reaching for options.

At WR, at best BJ projects as a #5 guy. I bet Kelly Washington beats him out at WR. We could fill that role with street fodder and give ourselves a chance to find another David Patten or Jabar Gaffney in the weeds, instead of working with a player who's a known quantity.

As for the WR position:
There is no question to me that Stallworth is gone this offseason. His pricetag this year is pretty high, and his option to renew is very high. The fact that Gaffney has clearly taken the #3 spot in the rotation is a pretty clear indication that Stallworth is underachieving.

Jackson's inability to rise up the depth chart is a minor concern, too, but a little easier to rationalize. Didn't he recently get a black jersey for his play on the scout team? That counts in the eyes of this coach.

Kelly Washington has been a star on ST, but hasn't broken into he receiving corp, either. I think he's a keeper, if only for ST. ST counts! How else do you think guys like Izzo, Alexander, Andrews and Woods stick on a roster this deep with talent, year after year?

I expect, we lose Stallworth and drop Troy next season. What happens to Jackson and Washington is for consideration and probably depends as much on ST contributions as potential at WR. I expect they'll be in camp, and we'll see who else is invited to compete. With Moss, Welker and Gaffney, we still have the best receiving corp in the league, regardless who the #4 and 5 guys are.

maybe it's a simple as Troy Brown's knee not being able to handle live action. Sentiment aside, even BB couldn't afford to keep a gimpy TB on the roster for the playoffs when everything is do or die. The Pats already had to cut a guy with potential - Kareem Brown - to get TB on the field, if Troy's struggling I can't imagine them chopping another player just so TB can enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes