PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats keeping or releasing players good/bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
For the last few yrs, we wonder why the Pats got rid of some players, and then they were on other teams we were glad the Pats made those moves. With that in mind here are some good , bad and jury still out on some moves the pats have made over the last few yrs..

Good moves..

Drew Bledsoe- Brady or Bledsoe, remember we used to debate this.. Any doubts know?

Damien Woody- Over paid and Overweight in Detroit.

Lawyer Milloy- Was on the downside when we realesed him, now on his third team

Willie Mcginnist- Was overblown and was hurt during the tickle me pete era a lot. Had some moments, but wants to be on tv more than on opposing Qb's

Bad Moves

Deion Branch- could be a jury still out thing, but still would have loved him in this offense ,and he was Brady's go to guy.. He is going to be missed

Ty Law- Say what you want, he was a key part to the championship run, if he wasn't we would have not made a run at him this past offseason

Jury still out

Adam Vinaterri- Been hurt most of this yr, and I dont know about Ghost yet, but we could regret losing him, but he could be another Willie Mcginnist, downside of carrer

David Givens- Not doing much in Tenn , and he is hurt, plus QB situation is in flux... Could be the next David Patten, or he will go to many pro bowls with the Titans...

I'll sneak in a quick reply before the flaming begins.

I just want to say that I wish we would have worked harder to keep Willie, he was a great player in this system and he is still solid.

As great as Mankins is, I still would have like to have signed Andruzzi for a few years at a very reasonable salary, which I believe he was willing to accept, and drafted for defense in round one of 2005. Andruzzi was a leader and played well enough as an O lineman.

I was skeptical about losing Vinitieri at first, probably for sentimental reasons, but again, what a brilliant move by the F.O. Settle in for many good years of kicking by Gostkowski.

I think its obvious that Tennesee overpaid for Givens, even if he does make a prow bowl ( which I seriously doubt he will)

We had no choice but to cut ties with Law and Branch. Thats the way it goes.

Last edited:
Pats ONLY released a few of the,,get that straight...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
For the last few yrs, we wonder why the Pats got rid of some players, and then they were on other teams we were glad the Pats made those moves. With that in mind here are some good , bad and jury still out on some moves the pats have made over the last few yrs..

Good moves..

Drew Bledsoe- Brady or Bledsoe, remember we used to debate this.. Any doubts know?

Willie Mcginnist- Was overblown and was hurt during the tickle me pete era a lot. Had some moments, but wants to be on tv more than on opposing Qb's

Bad Moves

Deion Branch- could be a jury still out thing, but still would have loved him in this offense ,and he was Brady's go to guy.. He is going to be missed

Ty Law- Say what you want, he was a key part to the championship run, if he wasn't we would have not made a run at him this past offseason

Jury still out

Adam Vinaterri- Been hurt most of this yr, and I dont know about Ghost yet, but we could regret losing him, but he could be another Willie Mcginnist, downside of carrer

David Givens- Not doing much in Tenn , and he is hurt, plus QB situation is in flux... Could be the next David Patten, or he will go to many pro bowls with the Titans...
The Patriots have only released THREE of those players..so your NON understanding of the situation shows a bias...just by using the incorrect terms. .Both Drew and the Twig were traded...Branch because he did NOT wish to play here...so keeping him was what they wanted to do and had EVERY RIGHT to expect that given he had a contract.
Milloy was vut to get under the cap..Law had an incredibly large contract coming up as did McGinest..so weighing in on that has to be what ramifications keeping them would have meant. Woody, AdamV and Givens all chose to sign with oher clubs..they were free agents.
As for keeping Ty at his price, wgo may have had to be cut to keep him?
As for Branch...you would have ripped ip this years contract?? What would you have done to keep him??

I think he's using the term "releasing" figuratively

Figuratively or not, Sean's discussion points aren't as "black & white" as he portrays them. That said, "my" Patriots have won three Superbowls under Coach Belichick and the current "front office" staff. They went to the playoffs last season despite some horrendous injury situations. This season they are 5-1, 4-0 in the AFCE and looking like locks for the playoffs again.

Players gone, for whatever reason, are gone. Some get well wishes (Givens, Fauria, Ashworth), some get the fan cold shoulder. "My" team is the 53 players wearing NE colors, their IR and Practice Squad compatriots, and their coaches. I like it simple, I may miss certain things about ex-girlfriends, but too often a closer look reminds me I escaped to love again.

I would not expect much of Givens in the future.

Also, I do not understand these weak teams spending bucks on offensive skill players, whether James in AZ or Givens to TN. Build from the line out as the Pats did, and find good role platers on O -- Antowain, Patton, etc.

onegameatatime said:
I would not expect much of Givens in the future.

Also, I do not understand these weak teams spending bucks on offensive skill players, whether James in AZ or Givens to TN. Build from the line out as the Pats did, and find good role platers on O -- Antowain, Patton, etc.
Two front offices who can't build a kindergarten play house with popsicle sticks, why would they waste cap money on the lines?

interestingly enough the Herald has an article about this same thing, there are shortcomings, however there is no discussion about Andruzzi, Hochstein and a bunch of others that have moved on and are more valuable to their new team than they are to the Patriots. This article goes on to talk about the jury being out on Branch, Givens and Vinateri.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=164037

Bill Belichick and personnel director Scott Pioli have an excellent record when it comes to knowing when to turn veterans loose. The vast majority of them have failed to match the success they enjoyed in New England, either from a personal or team standpoint. There are, however, a few exceptions. A look:

Greg Spires, DL, Tampa Bay

The undersized defensive end played well in his final preseason in New England in 2001 before losing his job in the final round of cuts. Bill Belichick knew Spires would land on his feet and play in the league, and that turned out to be the case. After a season in Cleveland, Spires won a job in Tampa Bay in 2002, claimed a Super Bowl ring that year and has been an every-game starter for the Buccaneers since. Spires has recorded nine tackles and a sack this season.

Jermaine Wiggins, TE, Minnesota

After helping the Pats win a Super Bowl in 2001, the East Boston native was turned loose into free agency, and Wiggins hasn’t looked back. After a brief stint in Indianapolis, Wiggins started for Carolina during the Panthers’ 2003 Super Bowl season, when they lost to the Pats in the Super Bowl. Now with the Vikings, Wiggins has 176 catches since leaving the Pats, including 18 this year.

Ty Law, CB, Kansas City

The dynamic, shutdown corner certainly hasn’t enjoyed as much team success, as he suffered through a 4-12 season with the Jets last year before moving on to Kansas City, where the Chiefs are currently fighting to stay above water at 3-3. But from an individual standpoint, Law has continued to excel. He had 10 interceptions to tie for the league lead last year, and he has two picks for the Chiefs so far this season. Law has also banked over $12 million in salary the past two seasons.

Robbie Gould, K, Chicago

With Adam Vinatieri still going strong, there was no use to keep Gould around during the summer of 2005. Too bad, because Gould went on to Chicago and has been terrific since. He went 21-of-27 on field goals over 13 games last year and is a perfect 18-for-18 this year.

The Herald article was pitiful. It was incomplete and not even informative. I agree with Box, once they leave I don't retain much of a connection with them. I wanted Drew to do well, still do, but he just can't seem to help making the bad mistake. I seem to have developed a dislike for Adam, didn't even want him on my fantasy team. Disappointed in Willie, my favorite Patriot since Drew left, and I wish mediocrity for Branch, Givens and anyone else that took the big money and ran. If you look at the people that left us most of them remain mired in mediocrity and its a good place for them.

My team consists of people called Gostkowski, Gabriel, Caldwell, Scott, Hawkins.

We'll see if my team includes Samuels and Graham next year and I hope it does but I will not despair, we will be all right without them.

Other that have left under Bill Belichick

*Terry Glenn WR – 1.5 years in NE under BB for Terry Glenn before he quit on the team. Was traded to GB where he only lasted a year before hooking on in Dallas. Has been an average/above average player since leaving
*Chris Slade OLB – only lasted 1 season (2000) under BB. Played 1 uneventful year in Carolina after he left NE.
*Chad Eaton DT – only last the 2000 season under BB. Played a few season in Seattle and Dallas.
*Ted Washing ton NT – only played for the 2003 SB team before going to Oakland as a free agent. Now in Cleveland, ahs not been a real factor since leaving.
*Antowain Smith RB – power runner that won 2 rings in NE. Played 1 year in Tennessee (137-509-4) and 1 year in New Orleans (166-659-3) after NE.
*Roman Phifer LB – was a very underrated member of all 3 SB teams. Played briefly for the Giants last year after their LB corp was decimated by injuries.
*Bobby Hamilton DE – Workman like player that was a key member of the Pats from 2000-2003. Played two season in Oakland and now is a back-up for the Jets
*Ty Poole CB – had one great year before he faded badly. Went to Oakland
*Tebucky Jones S – good special teamer, brutal safety.

D-cleater said:
I'll sneak in a quick reply before the flaming begins.

I just want to say that I wish we would have worked harder to keep Willie, he was a great player in this system and he is still solid.

As great as Mankins is, I still would have like to have signed Andruzzi for a few years at a very reasonable salary, which I believe he was willing to accept, and drafted for defense in round one of 2005. Andruzzi was a leader and played well enough as an O lineman.

I was skeptical about losing Vinitieri at first, probably for sentimental reasons, but again, what a brilliant move by the F.O. Settle in for many good years of kicking by Gostkowski.

I think its obvious that Tennesee overpaid for Givens, even if he does make a prow bowl ( which I seriously doubt he will)

We had no choice but to cut ties with Law and Branch. Thats the way it goes.

NE did offer a Andruzzi a reasonable deal, but Cleveland went far over that. If I remember correctly, it was around 4X the money, so Andruzzi was never coming back once he saw that. It was his one and only chance to actually cash in.

Sean Pa Patriot said:

Good moves..

Bad Moves

Jury still out

Excuse me but how the heck do you know any of those players we released are bad moves?

First off David Givens as a bad loss is laughable, he was long gone and everyone with a brain knew it.

Then you list Ty Law. He was gone two years ago. We had bad CB problems last year but guess what Sean, the CB's grew solid and they werent the ones who lost us the game in Denver last January. This year any Law effects seem vanquished with great play from Asante Samuel and Chad Scott.

No one yet knows about Deion Branch but with a 5-1 record so far the move cannot be considered "bad". 1 week we lost in which players were affected emotionally. From then on we have played kick ass football and the WR's are giving their all.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
NE did offer a Andruzzi a reasonable deal, but Cleveland went far over that. If I remember correctly, it was around 4X the money, so Andruzzi was never coming back once he saw that. It was his one and only chance to actually cash in.

According to the Andruzzi camp, the Patriots made a 'token' last minute offer after the Browns offer. They clearly did not make a strong effort to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back