PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats keep one of their own - Childress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. IIRC, Childress wasn't actually put on the roster until Friday of that week. And he performed well in a couple of different roles, and as I recall, earned praise from the coach as a result. I just think that these things are not meaningless, and as a result, I have the expectation (given the open situation at WR) with a year under his belt that he manages to find a spot on the 53 as a a utility-type guy. Particularly if Troy does not return.

I always felt that Sam was a figment of the imagination of a certain part of the fanbase, the part that is always talking about the need for a 'big receiver', as if someone's size alone makes them a football player. PK proved beyond all doubt that size or speed is just one part of being a player. Maybe one of the least important parts.

Like this kid's attitude and quickness! Gotta do something about the name tho' - I keep thinking "WILMA I'M HOME"!!!!

Compare practice squad players to veterans all you want. And yes you can hope for anything you want. And if you want, I won't respond to your posts. It is simply irrational to hope that a practice player would step up to be our #2, but you can hope what you will.

And yes, we will likely always disagree. I don't count on rookies or UDFA's or practice squad players to contribute. I do count on veterans.

You're right with regard to my view on linebackers. As of a month ago, I expected that we had a solid linebacking corps with four top starters and two veterans who had one year in the system as backups, and injured sophomore as the #7. McGinist and Brown are now gone. bb and pioli will likely bring in two veterans (my hope is that Willie returns). So I was wrong in my expectation. Perhaps I would be better to hope that Klecko will start at ILB or TBC at OLB. No, that isn't fair. We should be hoping that Eric Alexander or draft choice will start.

F.B.N. said:
Who the Frig' makes you an expert on who will make it and who won't.
I said hoping...nothing wrong with that...you want competant backups who come cheaply. Aww that's unfair...right Chad Fan...who by the way I never liked from day 1. There's more where that came from...keep your sarcasm to yourself MG

This view seems to discount the possibility that any rookie or 1st year player, be they draftee or UDFA, could EVER make any contribution to a team's success. Adam Vinatieri, for one, is one contrary example of that.

Additionally, David Terrell was a veteran, as were others that have not made a strong contribution. Duane Starks was a veteran. This illustrates that 'counting' on anything but the most known of quantities (like Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, etc.) is no more logical than 'counting' on the development of younger players.

Certainly an UDFA COULD make a contribution. Each year we bring lots into camp. Occasionlly one contributes. With regard to draftees, weak teams have to count on draftees to contribute in the their first year. Good teams are pleasantly surprised if their starters are beat out by rookies. BTW, I am not talking about the top dozen draftees who are expected to compete right away.

The patriots have always preferred to bring in several veterans to cover a need, and then keep a couple, and expect contributions. This strategy doesn't always work. This is especially the case when four of the veterans are injured at the same position. It is a matter of philosophy, a team chooses how to plug holes in the current's year's roster. The patriots have usually chosen the grizzled vet who is paid $800K and counts $445K against the cap. And sometimes we have signed underutilized or underappreciated vets from other teams (Dillon, Vrabel, Harrison). My point is that this rarely counts on rookies (occasionally at OL), and certainly not on last year's pratice players or UDFA's.

We can always hope. There seems to be a Bam Childress or two or three on each year's 80 man roster.

Pats67 said:
This view seems to discount the possibility that any rookie or 1st year player, be they draftee or UDFA, could EVER make any contribution to a team's success. Adam Vinatieri, for one, is one contrary example of that.

Additionally, David Terrell was a veteran, as were others that have not made a strong contribution. Duane Starks was a veteran. This illustrates that 'counting' on anything but the most known of quantities (like Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, etc.) is no more logical than 'counting' on the development of younger players.

Last edited:
That's a good view of how they've historically approached things. It would be difficult to argue any of it.

I may have been mistaken, but I was really speaking to the idea that a player like Childress can't contribute at a level that would be similar to that of a vet (I would never argue that he's at a point where he could vault into the top 3 or 4). I agree that its not reasonable to EXPECT that, but I would argue that its equally unreasonable to discount the possibility entirely.

Pats726 said:
Miguel....Good find...I know three are other ERFAs that are in the dame situation as Bam...Gene Mruczkowski, Billy Yates, Randall Gay and Guss Scott...What is the time frame that they have to be tendered by?? When is it that it is reported and up on the NFLPA site?? Just wondered what the procesure is with these players and when we will know if they are back "officially" with the team. I would pretty much guess they all would be. After they sign the tender, I would assume that is when it would be up on the site?? What options do they have if they don't?? Thanks...

The ERFAs had to be tendered by March 11th. Tendered players do not show up on the NFLPA site until they sign the tender. If an ERFA does not sign his tender and holds out, his rights will continue to be held by the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes