Pats keep one of their own - Childress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Brandon "Bam" Childress must have signed his ERFA tender as his name now shows up on the NFLPA site.

great news, he is the next david givens

Good! I like that kid, and love the fact that he's shown the 'Troy Brown Attitude' on playing both ways. Hope he works his ass off this offseason, because he's got some raw talent and is staring a huge opportunity in the face this year.

Grab the bull by the horns Bam.

I like that kid...I'm hoping he at least becomes a steady backup to Branch. He's quick enough to do it.

Now we are hoping that Bam Childress will "at least be a steady backup to Branch". Wow! I suspect that by August, we'll be discussing whether he can make the team as the #6 receiver and returner or whether we should allow him to be on the practice squad. He is this year's PK Sam. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he is no better a prospect that PK Sam last year, or Terrell or Bethel Johnson for that matter.

We will have a set of five reasonable receivers by July, and I don't think Childress will be one of the five.

mgteich said:
I'm not saying he won't make it, but he is no better a prospect that PK Sam last year, or Terrell or Bethel Johnson for that matter.

There's a lot I agree with in your post, but this I'm not sure I do agree with. Bam seems to have "shown" (FWIW) more than PK or Terrell ever did. Granted, it was pre-season but they didn't do SQUAT in pre-season. That said, as much as I would love Bam to be good enough, to blossom enough, to actually be one of the top 5 WRs, it may be a long shot.

mgteich said:
He is this year's PK Sam.
That's hardly fair, MG. P.K. has never once had a reception in a regular season game. Compare that to everything we've seen from Bam! (Three receptions for 32 yards)

In addition, P.K. is a giant (6'3"/210) and Bam is a smurf (5'10"/180) and we all know that the smurfs excell in our system.

:D

yeah .... one of our own!

:woohoo:

Wait, what's a Bam?

mgteich said:
Now we are hoping that Bam Childress will "at least be a steady backup to Branch". Wow! I suspect that by August, we'll be discussing whether he can make the team as the #6 receiver and returner or whether we should allow him to be on the practice squad. He is this year's PK Sam. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he is no better a prospect that PK Sam last year, or Terrell or Bethel Johnson for that matter.

We will have a set of five reasonable receivers by July, and I don't think Childress will be one of the five.

Who the Frig' makes you an expert on who will make it and who won't.
I said hoping...nothing wrong with that...you want competant backups who come cheaply. Aww that's unfair...right Chad Fan...who by the way I never liked from day 1. There's more where that came from...keep your sarcasm to yourself MG

mgteich

Why Aren't We Switching Brown and Vrabel?
We've lost Bruschi and Harrison up the middle. It seems so obvious that the middle needs help on running downs. Why aren't Varbel and Davis (or Sanders) in the middle on running downs? We will now have plenty of corners for nickel and dime packages with Davis (and beisel) out. And Chad Brown is an OLB and likely good enough to be sharing reps with McGinist and Colvin (and TBC).

Last edited:
mgteich said:
He is this year's PK Sam. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he is no better a prospect that PK Sam last year, or Terrell or Bethel Johnson for that matter.

All truths...

After 7th round pick David Givens' rookie season of 9 catches for 92 yards, no-one thought that 4 years later he'd be signing a $5M contract. I'm not saying that Bam is the next Givens but who's to say he isn't ?

BelichickFan said:
I'm not saying that Bam is the next Givens but who's to say he isn't ?
Undrafted and practice squad extraordinaire Bam Childress does not have the same skills as David Givens.

Last edited:
Zuma said:
Undrafted and practice squad extraordinaire Bam Childress does not have the same skills as David Givens.
Maybe not but undrafted vs. 7th round isn't a big difference. Givens was a highly recruited player coming out of high school who never found a position. Childress was Ohio's Mr. Football coming out of high school.

Will Childress ever amount to anything ? Maybe not. But there was no reason to think Givens would either.

mgteich said:

That may or may not be true, but I like him, and I would rather have Bam Childress than any of the others you mention. Whether or not we have 5 receivers better than him remains to be seen. Odds?

Well that settles it, I'm buying my tickets to the Super Bowl now and after that I'm getting on the phone with Vegas. :rocker:

mgteich said:

So we're now down to hoping the Pats field a "reasonable" 5 WR set next year?

I would hope they could somehow manage to field a "good" or "very good" WR corps. That generally makes winning games a little easier.

Miguel said:
Brandon "Bam" Childress must have signed his ERFA tender as his name now shows up on the NFLPA site.
Miguel....Good find...I know three are other ERFAs that are in the dame situation as Bam...Gene Mruczkowski, Billy Yates, Randall Gay and Guss Scott...What is the time frame that they have to be tendered by?? When is it that it is reported and up on the NFLPA site?? Just wondered what the procesure is with these players and when we will know if they are back "officially" with the team. I would pretty much guess they all would be. After they sign the tender, I would assume that is when it would be up on the site?? What options do they have if they don't?? Thanks...

mgteich said:
He is this year's PK Sam. I'm not saying he won't make it, but he is no better a prospect that PK Sam last year.
I can't see this as a reasonable statement given the difference in the two players. Its hard to know how Childress will pan out in the long run, but clearly, he already has a more valuable and versatile skill set than Sam ever did. Additionally, as opposed to being suspended from the team for not adhering to its rules (at the Super Bowl no less), Childress responded when given his opportunity by preparing himself to not only play WR but also DB. Its patently unfair to compare him to a player like Sam. The two have almost nothing in common beyond the fact that they both were WR's and members of the practice squad.

We all know how little value BB attaches to whether player was a 1st rounder or undrafted-- the best players play. Troy Brown and David Givens have blazed the trail for Bam... the coaches can point to them and say, "If you keep working at it, that's what you could have in your future".

I actually think that the staff DID see something they liked from the kid, to promote him from the P.S. to the active roster at the end of the year. There was no injury reason for them to do so-- my read: the move was based solely on merit. That's BB signalling progress and confidence in big red letters. They never showed that kind of trust in PK over two season.

From the eternal optimist: I think there is real cause for optimism with Bam. I have him as #4 or #5 on our WR roster for 2006, with a lot of empty space in front of him... and an open door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing