PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Just Extended Their Contending Period by 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is correct. Mallett's upside is not "quality starter", as some above have suggested. His upside is "franchise QB", and the likelihood of that result is signficantly more likely now that he is a member of the Patriots.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Mallett was the highest rated QB on the Pats draft board this year. A draft that saw the QB taken #1 overall as pretty much the consensus pick there. It also saw subsequent QB's taken at picks 8, 10, 12, 35 and 36.

As far as Mallett's upside goes .... there is not much higher upside than this.

Mallet reminds me a lot of Bledsoe in that he can make every throw but makes quite a few he shouldn't. Bill is getting him young so if he comes in with a good work ethic and attitude he could be special. If he falls short they'll release him Kevin O'Connell quick. Drew never reached his true potential because he didn't think he had to improve or work harder. If Mallet attaches himself to Brady and develops that work ethic it really could be Montana handing it over to Young but Elway handing it over to Griese or worse is obviously plausible as well.

While some are saying BB didn't pull anything off, because of Mallett's character issues he fell that far!
But I think he pulled something off! He had the balls to go after the player that others were scared to take a chance on him!

While some are saying BB didn't pull anything off, because of Mallett's character issues he fell that far!
But I think he pulled something off! He had the balls to go after the player that others were scared to take a chance on him!

"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Yes, like O'Conell was the next Steve Young. LOL @ this post

Mallet needs a 5-6 year deal:):):)

with many DRUG CLAUSES

Last edited:
he fact that he skipped out on a meeting with the Panthers cos he went and got hammered the night before only weeks before the draft points to exactly the kind of thing I worry about with him

If I were looking at being drafted by the Panthers, I'D get hammered too.

Not to mention the offensive line they are putting together. BIG. 6'8" bookends to go with the kid they drafted from TCU and Gonk.

And all one hears is whining. While beyotching about Brady's "window", nobody is paying attention to the coup that BB just pulled off--he has put the Patriots in the same position that Bill Walsh put the 49ers when he acquired Steve Young and Ron Wolf put the Packers when he drafted Aaron Rodgers. Anyone who has seen Mallett play knows that he will have the best arm in the NFL the first day he steps on the practice field. Add to that the production he had against SEC competition (what was it, 70 TDs against 20 INTs?), the fact that BB couldn't wear him out in film study, and you begin to see why the Pats HAD to take him at 74.

To me, his personality is a little off-putting and he talks like Vanilla Ice, which is why he fell so far. Based purely on his on-field ability, he is a consensus top 10 player in this draft and the No. 1 QB overall. The only bad thing you will hear about him on the field is that he's slow. Well, so is Tom Brady.

We are so lucky to have BB, a coach that can afford to take the longview, at the helm. What he pulled off yesterday will prove to be his masterstroke.

Strictly playing the odds, he's more likely to be a future cast member of Celebrity Rehab than an All-Pro.

Tom is not the owner or coach as you suggest he is. What Tom "wants" is irrelevant. The minute BB thinks Mallett gives him a better chance to win, Mallett is the starter. Did you forget 2001?

Do your homework. Jeff George was not a great college player. He was a workout warrior that blew everyone away at the combine by throwing the ball 80 yds in the air. Mallett dominated the SEC for two years in a pro-style offense. Could it happen that the kid is just such a headcase that the Patriots can't groom him into a successful pro? Possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The ones who are determined to complain, will do so no matter what reality is. Yet they WILL go GaGa over some pinhead who runs around, amuses the crowd, "makes Plays" and loses. A guy who is functionally illiterate like, R Leaf, V Young, J Russel or M Vick.

This is correct. Mallett's upside is not "quality starter", as some above have suggested. His upside is "franchise QB", and the likelihood of that result is signficantly more likely now that he is a member of the Patriots.
I don't see how that's "more likely" in New England. Barring injury, I just don't see this guy getting any playing action anytime in the next 5 years.

I don't see how that's "more likely" in New England. Barring injury, I just don't see this guy getting any playing action anytime in the next 5 years.

Aaron Rodgers got no playing time his first three years

Mallett is an investment. Could be the Brady heir, could be a trade piece, we won't know for some time. I agree with you about the more likely comment though. The Patriots are a well-run organization but not infallable, and not everything the Pats touch turns into gold.

Last edited:
Intanglibles are what make the great ones great. A cannon for an arm is irrelevant. Just ask Tom Brady, Joe Montana and JEFF GEORGE.
Your hyperbolic pronouncements re: the Patriots contending period being extended is rather silly when you consider Tom Brady has stated he wants to play until he's 40 and cites Brett Favray.

Irrelevant? Why not ask Chad Pennington? Why not ask scouts their opinion of Brady's arm, or Manning's?

An arm is irrelevant to a QB has to be one of the silliest statements I've seen on this board, and that's saying something.

Irrelevant? Why not ask Chad Pennington? Why not ask scouts their opinion of Brady's arm, or Manning's?

An arm is irrelevant to a QB has to be one of the silliest statements I've seen on this board, and that's saying something.

Amen, Ray, amen!!!

3 years =/= 5 years. And I got some bad news: Ryan Mallett is no Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Rodgers only became Aaron Rodgers this year. Change a dumb Tampa play and Green Bay doesn't make the playoffs.

The reality QB's trump everything. If you can get a potential franchise QB at great value, you do it.

Aaron Rodgers only became Aaron Rodgers this year. Change a dumb Tampa play and Green Bay doesn't make the playoffs.
If "ifs and buts" were cherries and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas!
The reality QB's trump everything. If you can get a potential franchise QB at great value, you do it.
People in this thread seem not to realize there's a reason he fell to the 3rd round. And there's a reason why a lot of teams didn't have him terribly high for his position. And it has little to do with character issues.

Personally, I hope we never see the guy play a single meaningful down during his contract here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back