In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone up for for giving their ideas on any of the follow:
  1. PATs Run offense against Jets Run D
  2. PATs Pass offense against Jets Pass D
  3. Jets Run offense aganist PATs Run D
  4. Jets Pass offense against PATs Pass
  5. What would be a good PATs Offense game plan?
  6. What would be a good PATs Defense game plan?

JR4 said:

I think it's gonna be an incredible chess match because the two coaches know each other so well. for example, on the one hand you'd first probably say, well, the pats looked really good running the ball 1st week, so they will probably to some degree try and force the jets to prove they can stop it. But then you immediately say - but wait, mangini will see the film, see how well they ran, know they are excited about their OL and maroney, and devise defensive schemes to focus on and limit the run. especially with the loss of branch and the limited time jackson and gabriel have had to get ready. So then you say, ah, well Belichick will know this and comeout passing the ball to throw them off their gameplan and catch them by surprise. But then you say - ah, but Mangini woked with BB for quite a while and will know that he's gonna do this so Mangini will have his troops ready for an early passing asault, etc etc etc. In reality, both teams will have their squads able to read the formations and make quick adjustments to what's being run, and Mangini should have some idea of what the pats are doing although I'm sure BB will mix things up on him some. In the end it will come down to execution and hunger and although I think mangini has the jets well prepared and hungry, I think the pats have an edge in talent and execution right now - maybe I'm wrong and it will be a war, which the jets could very well win, but my guess is the players won't want to lose to mangini, will come ready to play, and the pats talent edge will make them prevail this time. 2 years form now, who knows, maybe mangini will have the jets running much more efficiently.

Do we have any idea about Jackson/Gabriel's chances of playing besides the injury report? I didn't see Reiss update anything other than they both missed portions of practice yesterday.

I guess I don't know much more about scheming and Xs and Os then the casual football fan. I laugh when I hear commentators talking about teams being able to "get to Brady" with the blitz. Teams that come after Brady with pressure normally pay for it, last week was an abberation. Mangina was afraid to put QB for about the first half of the season last year before he got more aggressive as Bruschi and Seymour came back. So I'm not sure what to expect from the Jets D, I didn't see their game last week.

I'd hope our offense would have a heavy dose of play action this week as to take advantage of the respect our running game commands.

Last edited:
Jackson is questionable this week - I think he was probable last week, so that's a set-back. F-ing frustrating.

patsox23 said:
Jackson is questionable this week - I think he was probable last week, so that's a set-back. F-ing frustrating.

He was Questionable last week also and did not Practice.

patsox23 said:

He was questionable, just as Bruschi was.

The Jets run game shouldnt be a problem for us. We've just got to see if Pennington performs like he did last week. Then we've got to play some good football against the pass.

SamBam39 said:
I think it's gonna be an incredible chess match because the two coaches know each other so well. for example, on the one hand you'd first probably say, well, the pats looked really good running the ball 1st week, so they will probably to some degree try and force the jets to prove they can stop it. But then you immediately say - but wait, mangini will see the film, see how well they ran, know they are excited about their OL and maroney, and devise defensive schemes to focus on and limit the run. especially with the loss of branch and the limited time jackson and gabriel have had to get ready. So then you say, ah, well Belichick will know this and comeout passing the ball to throw them off their gameplan and catch them by surprise. But then you say - ah, but Mangini woked with BB for quite a while and will know that he's gonna do this so Mangini will have his troops ready for an early passing asault, etc etc etc.....

Have you seen The Princess Bride? :D Never start a land war in Asia, my friend...

As for the Jets, I don't even recognize that team anymore. There's been so much change, so many new faces, that it's kind of a blank slate for me. No more Testaverde, Curtis Martin, Mawae, etc.

So it will be interesting on Sunday, as this week will likely start a new chapter in the Patriots-Jets rivalry.

JR4 said:
Based on the first games each played:

Patriots dominate the run, both ways. The Jets front seven are still learning the system, they may be individually talented, but as a unit they haven't gelled yet. They have an offensive line that features two rookies, one of whom was not known for being a strong run blocker. They may be starting a reserve LG based on injury. Derrick Blaylock has been shut down by the New England defense while he was running behind a premiere offensive line.

The passing game for New England will key off the running game, it will be adequate. The Jets passing game will need to be shorter patterns and quick developing plays to avoid the pass rush working against the O-line. D'Brickashaw may be the next best thing to sliced bread on the edge, but even practicing against this same kind of defense all the time, it will be a challenge for that O-line to pick up all the twists in the pass rush Dean Pees can throw at them. The NE secondary is healthy and flexible compared to last season, with a decent rush they can hold their own. The Jets don't seem to have the TE strength to create serious mismatches against the NE LBs.

NE Offensive game plan: See Cory Run. See Lawrence Run. See Tommy's play action freeze the LBs and Ss.

Pats Defensive game plan: Stop the run. Put the shiny new Penny in the arcade penny machine - ouch!

GoWhalers said:
Have you seen The Princess Bride? :D Never start a land war in Asia, my friend...
QUOTE]

what does this mean?
Is it a reference from a movie or book or something?

I think I may have heard it before but I don't know it.

SamBam39 said:
GoWhalers said:
QUOTE]

what does this mean?

Oh the humanity! :p

Book and movie, if you enjoy a bit of offbeat humor try one or the other.

I realize this is getting off-topic, but SamBam's comment just reminded me of this scene (dialogue courtesy of IMDB). The text doesn't do it justice, I recommend you watch it on screen...

[Setting: The hero (Man in Black) and Vizzini square off in a battle of wits for the maiden Buttercup, with Vizzini choosing between two goblets, one of which is poisoned]

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!
Man in Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Vizzini: [Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. Roberts looks. Vizzini swaps the goblets]
Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter.First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.
Man in Black, Vizzini: [they drink ]
Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, and falls dead to the right]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.
Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

SamBam39 said:
GoWhalers said:
QUOTE]

what does this mean?

It is originally a quote from military strategist Basil Liddell Hart.

GoWhalers said:
Have you seen The Princess Bride? :D Never start a land war in Asia, my friend....
I saw the Runaway Bride. And the Princess Diaries. Don't recall either one had any wars in Asia. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes