Patriots 28
Jaguars 3

(2003) Week 15
Patriots 27
Jaguars 13

:cool:

Last edited:
Re: Pats/Jags. Stats Matchup.

Let's be honest- this isn't an ideal matchup for us. That said, I still think the Pats will win handily. BB will probably design a gameplan around stopping the run at all costs and making Garrard beat them in the air. And he certainly didn't look prepared to hang with Brady yesterday, so I think we'll be fine.

No way.... all the talking heads said the Jags are tougher, better on defense, and built for these types of games.
Get outta here with stats that don't back that up!

;)

Field Goals

Steven Gostkowski
Percentage: 87.5 (21/24)
Long: 45

Josh Scobee
Percentage: 92.3 (12/13)
Long: 48

Kickoffs

Steven Gostkowski
AVG: 64.5
TBs: 15
AVG Start: 22.1

Josh Scobee
AVG: 64.8
TBs: 12
AVG Start: 22.5

Punting

Chris Hanson
AVG: 41.4
Net Yards: 1,626
In 20: 13
Blocked: 1

Adam Podlesh
AVG: 41.6
Net Yards: 1,991
In 20: 14
Blocked: 0

Basically equal stuff there.

I'll be giving Steve the advantage for field goals, due to almost twice as many attempts.

Offense

PPG
Pats: 36.8 (1st)
Jags: 25.7 (6th)
Defense

PPG
Pats: 17.1 (4th)
Jags: 19 (10th)

For comparison above :

On the road Jax scores 24.75 and allows 23.75 (didn't add in yesterday's air tight game).

At home we score 34.375 and allow 12.875

So when factoring in HF, the splits widen.

Kick Returns

Pats
AVG Return: 22.5
Yards: 1384
Long: 108
TD: 2

Jags
AVG Return: 22.7
Yards: 1110
Long: 100
TD: 1

Punt Returns

Pats
AVG Return: 9.4
Long: 35
TD: 0

Jags
AVG Return: 10.1
Long: 56
TD: 0

Let's be honest- this isn't an ideal matchup for us. That said, I still think the Pats will win handily. BB will probably design a gameplan around stopping the run at all costs and making Garrard beat them in the air. And he certainly didn't look prepared to hang with Brady yesterday, so I think we'll be fine.

I agree with you if they beat pitsburgh by 3 pionts, we killed pitsburgh.But we need to have a plan to eliminate the run and make Garrard beat us with the pass.

I really don't see the Jags being within 9.

One stat not often listed is defensive passer rating:

Jax 76.1 allowing 20 TD passes
Pats 78.1 allowing 23 TD passes

So that is pretty close..

Note all stats from 2005-2007

Pats on Turf = 32-6
Jags on Turf = 1-6

Besides the annual Indy loss, this includes losses at NO, BUF and STL with only a Jets 6 point win to show for it. Obviously this is not a team built to play (particularly defend) on turf and they don't have a lot of experience on it.

Pats When 10+ Point Favorite = 15-1
Jags When 10+ Point Underdog = 0-0

Obviously the Pats take care of business when heavily favored (as most teams do) but the key here is that the Jags have not played as a heavy underdog recently. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Pats with Extra Week = 3-0
Jags with No Break = 29-16

Give Belichick/coaches an extra week and they will be ready. Further evidence is that the Pats generally start the season strong (2003 excluded) and have won all 3 titles with a bye week before the playoffs.

Note all stats from 2005-2007

Pats on Turf = 32-6
Jags on Turf = 1-6

Besides the annual Indy loss, this includes losses at NO, BUF and STL with only a Jets 6 point win to show for it. Obviously this is not a team built to play (particularly defend) on turf and they don't have a lot of experience on it.

Pats When 10+ Point Favorite = 15-1
Jags When 10+ Point Underdog = 0-0

Obviously the Pats take care of business when heavily favored (as most teams do) but the key here is that the Jags have not played as a heavy underdog recently. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
Pats with Extra Week = 3-0
Jags with No Break = 29-16

Give Belichick/coaches an extra week and they will be ready. Further evidence is that the Pats generally start the season strong (2003 excluded) and have won all 3 titles with a bye week before the playoffs.

I believe this is an advantage for the Jaguars. They have had an unusual amount of attention lately (for obvious reasons), but this is somthing that they are not acustomed too. The Jaguars are at their best when they are playing the underdog roll. I see them coming out stronger than ever this Saturday.
I believe you all should be concerned about your team's undefeated season coming to an abrupt end. Confindence is a good thing, but I think the Patriots' undefeated season is clouding the fans reality of how hard it is to win games in this league, and the Pats aren't playing as lights out as they were earlier in the season. Just rememeber I told you so. :bricks:

I believe this is an advantage for the Jaguars. They have had an unusual amount of attention lately (for obvious reasons), but this is somthing that they are not acustomed too. I see them coming out stronger than ever this Saturday.
I believe you all should be concerned about your team's undefeated season coming to an abrupt end. Confindence is a good thing, but I think the Patriots' undefeated season is clouding the fans reality of how hard it is to win games in this league, and the Pats aren't playing as lights out as they were earlier in the season. Just rememeber I told you so. :bricks:

Point taken, but that is an unknown. Even if they can play with a chip on their shoulder, it is really hard to maintain that for 60 minutes. Their record stinks on turf, but I haven't seen enough of the Jags to know if that is a fatal flaw or just an anomaly.

The Jaguars are at their best when they are playing the underdog roll.

I've never played an underdog roll, but I had some excellent dinner rolls for Thanksgiving. And crescent rolls are outstanding when served warm. Ahhhh...crescent rolls...
crescent-roll.jpg

Last edited:
I love how everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that we have beaten them the last 2 years with a team nowhere near as good as we are going to throw on the field in Saturday nite. They were 2 elimination games for the Jags too. So, they have no excuses. Humbled in 05 at the Razor in the playoffs. We basically ended their season last year in Jax by beating them in the next to last game. Ended their 06 season. Anyone sensing a pattern here? No M.Stroud this year. Henderson banged up a little. Pats will get up early and win by double digits. More, if Garrard doesn't play better than he did at Pitt. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he plays a little better. 31-17 Pats.

I love how everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that we have beaten them the last 2 years with a team nowhere near as good as we are going to throw on the field in Saturday nite. They were 2 elimination games for the Jags too. So, they have no excuses. Humbled in 05 at the Razor in the playoffs. We basically ended their season last year in Jax by beating them in the next to last game. Ended their 06 season. Anyone sensing a pattern here? No M.Stroud this year. Henderson banged up a little. Pats will get up early and win by double digits. More, if Garrard doesn't play better than he did at Pitt. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he plays a little better. 31-17 Pats.

Think about that one and get back to me when you are not stupid.

I believe this is an advantage for the Jaguars. They have had an unusual amount of attention lately (for obvious reasons), but this is somthing that they are not acustomed too. The Jaguars are at their best when they are playing the underdog roll. I see them coming out stronger than ever this Saturday.
Get a clue moron!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29316&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG9

Last edited:

I'll be looking fwd to a new thread from you on sunday.
don't disappear.

I've never played an underdog roll, but I had some excellent dinner rolls for Thanksgiving. And crescent rolls are outstanding when served warm. Ahhhh...crescent rolls...

Recently joined the Pats bandwagon then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back