Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots | Team might have interest in Runyan
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:19:09 -0800

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the New England Patriots might have interest in free agent OT Jon Runyan (Eagles).

Can he play receiver?

sarge said:
Can he play receiver?
:yeahthat:

But we could use another proven tackle...does anyone think that Kaczur could be moved to RG if this move happened?

So what is the plan if we sign him? Move Light to RT? I can't envision Light being big enough or strong enough to play RT and although old, Runyan is still lightyears better than Light IMO. I can't see how this will work unless they know something about Light's rehab from his injury that we don't.

Get Fabini over Runyan... Although the plan looks like to build up the o line and protect Brady's backside...

Well at 33, he fits our un-official FA requirement -- being older than dirt.

maybee he will be the o line man to retire during camp...

I'll take either...

Runyan or Fabini...

Runyan
- former pro-bowl RT & if the Pats sign him, he'll play RT (as he did in Philly) and Light will stay at LT
- although he's in decline, he'd be an upgrade over Ashworth/Gorin

Fabini
- played L for the Jets for years and played RT part of this year for them
- he would be a great signing because of his versatility to play both sides and I think he's an upgrade over Ashworth

I also wouldn't mind seeing one of the following...
Marc Columbo
- former first round pick who has talent and perhaps could benefit from coaching

Mike Pearson
- solid former starter for Jacksonville- good player but is a much better pass blocker than run blocker and thus is not ideally suited for the right side

Huh, I was mistaken. For some reason I thought Runyan had been playing LT. This would make alot more sense now.

Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Runyan

That right there would be a very nice looking O line.

huskeralk said:
Huh, I was mistaken. For some reason I thought Runyan had been playing LT. This would make alot more sense now.

Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Runyan

That right there would be a very nice looking O line.

LT is Tra Thomas I think. Has been for many years.

Why did the Jests cut Fabini? Too spendy? He was pretty good if I remember.

Jets fans hated Fabini. He was ok three years ago but watch some games from last year and you'll understand why they cheered when he was cut.
Slow, weak at the POA, problems with speed, can't run block etc.
But since he can play both RT and LT so I'm guessing BB/SP is all over him.

JR4 said:
Patriots | Team might have interest in Runyan
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:19:09 -0800

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the New England Patriots might have interest in free agent OT Jon Runyan (Eagles).

If the price is right, he'd be a great pickup. He had his big payday with his last contract and if he's looking for a ring versus the $$......the price may be right.
Remember this is a guy who wnet to the Cayman Islands at the beginning of the FA signing period.
He's a classy guy, bright and a locker room leader as well as having a nasty streak that you want on the offensive line.......He's had some epic duels playing against Strahan twice a year. He'd solidify that line on the right side and considering how fast Brady gets rid of the ball compared to McNabb, it would be a whole lot easier for him.....

Just my $0.02,

Very little chance Kaczur is moved to G, IMO.

JackBauer said:
Very little chance Kaczur is moved to G, IMO.
Opinions were mixed on whether Kaczur is a G or T before the draft. If we sign a guy like Runyan I would expect Light and Runyan as the starting Tackles with Kaczur being the top Tackle backup and Goring being next. Then I'd expect a new Guard, possibly a first day draft choice, to replace Neal.

If Runyan is signed he can move inside and let the more mobile Kazcur hold the edge.

Who can move?

I never played OLine so I have no real idea who would make a good Guard and who wouldn't. All I can guess from looking at the Pats Guards is that the physical requirements include quickness and footspeed as opposed to bulk and power. Tackle on the other hand demands quickness + arm length and bulk. I think that if the Pats do get Runyon, the idea is that he would start over Kazur. Since Kazur has proven that he can play tackle in this league, getting Runyon wouldn't make much sense unless the Pats were convinced that Kazur could make the move or that for some reason, Kazur was not the long term answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back