PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Hartwell [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Times change and our needs have changed, our LB corps needs to be strengthened.. we have added Thomas and bringing in Hartwell would be a good move, if the price is right. Not only would he allow us to use him situationally, but would take the pressure off of #54, 122 tackles is too much for him. Imagine that defense, we could almost field 7 LB's, talk about confusing the other teams D. Hartwell could also be used as a bridge player to help with our existing red shirted LB's and our new LB draftees.

Times change and our needs have changed,
TRhe team did NEED some ILB help two years ago..granted it was more for Bruschi's position than TJ's at the time..but I wonder why now when they didn't even talk then?? Is he better now than before?? Is what he has to offer a better fir now?? (Maybe..this may be a key) A better price?? (Again, this MIGHT be possible...) I really wonder..certainly a possible solid move..but I really wonder if there was something they did NOT like then taht MAY prevent a move now. Just curious..

I really wonder..certainly a possible solid move..but I really wonder if there was something they did NOT like then taht MAY prevent a move now. Just curious..

My impression from some story (newspaper) out there was that they did talk a couple years ago and that Hartwell went for the Bling-Bling with atlanta.

So I am not sure it was a question of Patriots not liking anything about the guy except for his $ demands. Which due to the injuries may be more reasonable now.

TRhe team did NEED some ILB help two years ago..granted it was more for Bruschi's position than TJ's at the time..but I wonder why now when they didn't even talk then?? Is he better now than before?? Is what he has to offer a better fir now?? (Maybe..this may be a key) A better price?? (Again, this MIGHT be possible...) I really wonder..certainly a possible solid move..but I really wonder if there was something they did NOT like then taht MAY prevent a move now. Just curious..

We will probably no know any of these points, but gotta remember two years ago we had Bruschi, Johnson, McGuinnest, Colvin and Vrabel.. and we had TBC in the wings and hopes about Beisel. The salary cap was also an unknown. Perhaps they should have pulled the trigger then, but they did not.. one thing that appears pretty certain is that the BB braintrust is not going to let themselves be in that position again.

I'm not sure. Some guys never get back to being the same player after big injuries, and this guy had both knees messed up. He may be 29, but his injury history suggests he doesn't have much left in the tank (no more than 34 year old Edwards, for example).
While that may be true for some, look at Rodney's injury history: torn groin, two shoulder blades, massive knee injury, another knee injury, and soon he'll be back and talking trash and dumping receivers on their butts.

There's a long history of the NFL overrating players who've had a good year and totally discounting players who slip from the radar for a couple years due to injury. If he was a corner or a safety or OLB, all those injuries might slow him down, but a SSLB needs strength and technique more than speed.

Hartwell

Sorry if this is a double thread, please move if so.

I remember people asking about this guy because he was a teammate of ADT (thats right you heard it here first). Looks like there may be something to it with the part that says we showed strong interest and he reciprocated.

Per www.si.com

Adalius Thomas may be just the first piece in the Patriots' linebacker overhaul. According to a league source, the team has showed strong interest in free agent linebacker Edgerton Hartwell, who was cut by the Falcons last Friday, and the veteran has reciprocated
-- Boston Herald

Re: Hartwell

oh btw/fyi/trivia.... Hartwell also went to Harrison's alma mater... Western Illinois University (sorry small town IL bias).

oh btw/fyi/trivia.... Hartwell also went to Harrison's alma mater... Western Illinois University (sorry small town IL bias).

where in illinois are you from?

You mean they both went to that football factory???;)

Well I got his Agents e-mail address. It's National Sports Agenct. Hobbs is also their client.
His agent is Harold C. Lewis.

[email protected]

Their phone number is

Lets e-mail them and see if we can get him while the Godfather and SP are playing around in FLA! If we sign him we save the Krafts a whole lot of time and effort.

Here is their "sales" blurb on Ed Hartwell.

http://business4.odc.net/nsa_v255/mo...ports=Football

Who's gonna bing 'em?

DW Toys

You mean they both went to that football factory???;)

haha yeah not to get too far off the topic of Hartwell, but I think the punter Scifres from the cry baby Chargers also went to wiu.

Well I got his Agents e-mail address. It's National Sports Agenct. Hobbs is also their client.
His agent is Harold C. Lewis.

[email protected]

Their phone number is

Lets e-mail them and see if we can get him while the Godfather and SP are playing around in FLA! If we sign him we save the Krafts a whole lot of time and effort.

Here is their "sales" blurb on Ed Hartwell.

http://business4.odc.net/nsa_v255/mo...ports=Football

Who's gonna bing 'em?

DW Toys

You have a great talent for amazing me time and time again. And no, I'm not flaming or insulting you. I'm just stating a fact: You are completely insane. Reading your posts sure leaves me scratching my head a lot.

We will probably no know any of these points, but gotta remember two years ago we had Bruschi, Johnson, McGuinnest, Colvin and Vrabel.. and we had TBC in the wings and hopes about Beisel. The salary cap was also an unknown. Perhaps they should have pulled the trigger then, but they did not.. one thing that appears pretty certain is that the BB braintrust is not going to let themselves be in that position again.
Actually 2 years ago Bruschi was basically OUT of teh picture after his stroke...and at that time Beisel was not with the team...(at least for a few months..) I agree we may never know why..but it may have been the bliing...OR something else..it WAS before TJ retired..so it may hve been they thought he would not fit TedyB's role...I agree they will NOT be in that position again...

You have a great talent for amazing me time and time again. And no, I'm not flaming or insulting you. I'm just stating a fact: You are completely insane. Reading your posts sure leaves me scratching my head a lot.
Thank you Cousin, I try to add, not tear down as some people do in these things.
Sometimes it's just from frustration. Every Pats fan last year knew the Pats WR plan was wrong, but we don't pull the strings so we can't do anything and our name is not Kraft. But we all knew something had to be done. We, the fans were right! Sometimes ego gets in the way.

I really do believe that some of the FO gets bored and actually reads a few of these every once in a while but would never admit it. I hope perhaps if they have nothing to do on a play ride or waiting in a terminal they might pick up their lap top (Hi Bill! Hi Scott!), see some of this stuff and say "you know these guys might have something here!"

Secretly, doesn't everyone that spends a few moments writing to some sports site like this. especially if we have a passion for that said team, hope that someone in the FO somewhere says, "Why haven't we thought of that!".

Hartwell makes a lot of sense. It takes two years for a LB in the Pats system to blossom. So most of our decent core guys will be gone. We all feel the Pats can make another run at the SB this year. Let's not screw this up this year. We were maybe one play or one player away from the SB in 2006. Two years? Who knows.

DW Toys

Actually 2 years ago Bruschi was basically OUT of teh picture after his stroke...and at that time Beisel was not with the team...(at least for a few months..) I agree we may never know why..but it may have been the bliing...OR something else..it WAS before TJ retired..so it may hve been they thought he would not fit TedyB's role...I agree they will NOT be in that position again...

I forgot about Chad Brown, wasn't he a hope also??.. this team will never be put in that situation again.

After Bruschi's stroke, Biesel was signed shortly after FA season started. Vermiel reportedly cried. Brown wasn't available right away, but was signed shortly after the draft. IMO, both were signed to compete for Bruschi's spot. Brown was expected to play rush OLB on passing downs. (TBC's role last yr.) Biesel would fill Phyfer's old role on 3rd down in place of TJ. TJ didn't retire until just before TC started, forcing both of them into roles they weren't expected to fill when originally signed. The rookie from Nev. went down too, which further raised the pressure. Brown may have actually made some contribution on a limited basis, but Biesel just "wasn't what they were looking for" at any level.

Last edited:
Buut while Brown and Beisel were more for Bruschi's spot and Brown Outside where he was so much better...they tried to change his position and withe TJ retired..THAT blew up everything and they had to scramble.
As far as Hartwell goes..I heard on the radio WEEI...that one of teh hosts had talked to someone (a source) and that they were NOT interested in Hartwell at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes