PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Hartwell [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinator

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The dominoes keep falling in NFL free agency, and you can start seeing the puzzle come together. Here’s some things for you in the afternoon:

– According to a league source, the Patriots have showed strong interest in free-agent LB Edgerton Hartwell, cut by the Falcons last week. The source said the team is still looking for a “run-stuffer”, a need that Hartwell could satisfy.

Hartwell will be 29 when training camp commences, and has battled through injuries in two years with the Falcons playing eight and five games, respectively, in ‘05 and ‘06. But the three years prior to that, in Baltimore, he registered 141, 140, 191 tackles for the top-notch Ravens defense and earned a rep as one of the best against the run in the NFL. He also started some as a 3-4 inside linebacker there, brings good size (6-1, 250) and the Patriots now have his former teammate Adalius Thomas as a reference for him.

Things are in a holding pattern now, as the Patriots staff is spread out to cover college pro days, but are expected to move forward next week.

link http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Last edited:
Re: Pats interested in Hartwell

What injuries and surgeries exactly has he had?

It's a starting combination the Falcons employed in 11 games in 2005, after Hartwell was lost for the year to a ruptured Achilles tendon, but the kind of musical chairs approach coach Jim Mora and coordinator Ed Donatell had hoped to avoid this season. But when Hartwell could no longer tolerate the discomfort in both knees, the linebacker shuffle was on again.

Middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, who missed the Atlanta Falcons' first five outings of the season after undergoing arthroscopic surgeries late in training camp to flush debris from both knees, will make his 2006 debut when he returns to the starting lineup

Interesting. Perhaps Hartwell gives us a couple of years allowing a young LB, such as DeOssie, to learn the ropes.

constant discomfort in both knees doesnt sound good though...how serious were those surgeries...and achillies tendon doesnt sound good either...on the other hand, his credentials impress...

Hartwell was a top rated player when he became a free agent in

2005. If healthy he is worth a look.

if he's cheap, why not.

I already posted this a few days ago... but, whatever...

My guess he will come at a bargain basement price. He is a guy with a lot of upside if he can rebound from his injuries. Why not take a pass?

I already knew they were interested... they were looking at him before the Falcons signed him... albeit alot of money.

I dunno if he is the same player though... if he is all banged up.

With the injuries he's had, I think his asking price wouldn't be that high.

He could probably fill the Seau role. Play first and second downs on most occassions and come out on third downs.

This also means one of Vrabel or Bruschi would have a reduced role. Its not a bad idea to have good depth just in case one of the starters gets injured.

Patriots | Team interested in Hartwell

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots are interested in unrestricted free-agent LB Edgerton Hartwell (Falcons).

kffl.com

havent seen this yet, and if it has been posted already in the words of ted sarandis:

I APOLOGIZE A THOUSAND TIMES!!!

I don't see why not Junior again, if the arm is better, and Hartwell. The younger guys out there (at LB) are projects... We have them for depth and ST, primarily (unless someone wants to predict the Mincey/Alexander future of this team...)

Using one of the old pros (like Seau) to play in the rotation is not a bad idea... more quality all the way around, while he lasts. Even if you do have to pick up a JAG mid-season, the guys we're talking about are pretty much JAGs to start with.

PS, about Hartwell's injury(s) -- yes, he would have to pass a physical, guys. He's worth a one-year deal with lots of incentives. If that's not what he's looking for... I dunnnooooo...

PFnV

Wouldn't be a bad signing if the price was right.

I don't see why not Junior again, if the arm is better, and Hartwell. The younger guys out there (at LB) are projects... We have them for depth and ST, primarily (unless someone wants to predict the Mincey/Alexander future of this team...)

Using one of the old pros (like Seau) to play in the rotation is not a bad idea... more quality all the way around, while he lasts. Even if you do have to pick up a JAG mid-season, the guys we're talking about are pretty much JAGs to start with.

PS, about Hartwell's injury(s) -- yes, he would have to pass a physical, guys. He's worth a one-year deal with lots of incentives. If that's not what he's looking for... I dunnnooooo...

PFnV

The Pats have Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Izzo, Mays, Woods, and Alexander. They usually carry 9-10 lbs. There isn't enough room for them to add BOTH Seau and Hartwell AND draft a young LB like Harris, DeOssie or Bradley.

I think that I would rather have 2 young LBs who are closer to having the talent to start than 2 vets who are inhibiting the growth of youngsters.

I still don't see Alexander as being anything more than a special teamer and a replacement for Davis.

The Pats have Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Izzo, Mays, Woods, and Alexander. They usually carry 9-10 lbs. There isn't enough room for them to add BOTH Seau and Hartwell AND draft a young LB like Harris, DeOssie or Bradley.

I don't think Izzo, Mays, Woods, or Alexander have earned roster spots yet. In fact, I think it's quite likely that no more than two of the above will make the final 53 man roster.

I do not believe that Bellichick was satisfied with the butt-kicking his LB corps took in the AFC championship game. Usually, when Belichick isn't satisfied, changes are made.

Get him!!!!!!

I wanted him in 2005 and couldn't understand why the Pats didn't pull the trigger then. He's had the two years of injuries, but he still 29 and he won't cost the stratospheric amount of two years ago.

Get him, re-sign Seau for another year and grab Z. DeOssie in the 3rd round and I'll feel a whole heckuva lot better about ILB.

Just thinking:

OLBs: AT, Rosie, Vrabes (he shines outside, inside he's just OK), Gardener
ILB's: Seau, Bru, Ed Hartwell, DeOssie
ST's - Depth: Woods, Izzo, Alexander, Mays or one of the lower of the 10 Patriot draftees

I could live with this. This allows the Pats to use one 3rd round pick on ILB and be able to concentrate those two first rounders on S and WR or CB.

Seau played very well last season. I'd like him back.

The problem is that he's good for only a limited number of snaps per season, in two ways:

1. Durability
2. Speed -- I suspect that he has adequate pass coverage speed only when lightly used.

Thomas is available to play ILB for AT LEAST 1/3 of all snaps, so long as he, Colvin, and Vrabel are all healthy.

Bottom line: Thomas/Vrabel/Colvin/Bruschi/Seau/Hartwell should do a FINE job covering all snaps, so long as all are healthy.

Indeed, they should be a pretty solid crew so long as only one of them is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots