PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Inside the 10 Yard Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizePats

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I came across a very interesting stat. The Patriots offense ran the ball a league hgh 62 times inside the 10 yard line last year. I never would have guessed this. Hving Morris healthy for the full year likely would have incresed this total even higher. I like the fact that we can eat up huge chunks of the field with the passing game but still go back to old school football when we get in close.

I came across a very interesting stat. The Patriots offense ran the ball a league hgh 62 times inside the 10 yard line last year. I never would have guessed this. Hving Morris healthy for the full year likely would have incresed this total even higher. I like the fact that we can eat up huge chunks of the field with the passing game but still go back to old school football when we get in close.
50 touchdown passes is old school????

50 touchdown passes is old school????

He said old school football "when we get close". I'm pretty sure the majority of those 50 TDs are of the longer than 10 yard variety.

It is interesting, pretty much every good offense must have the ability to run the ball when close the the goal line. Dillion was an excellent goal line runner, there is nothing better than the threat of the run. The threat alone greats 1:1 coverage on the outside.

Two plays stick out to me:
  • Week 17 versus Giants - The Patriots get near the goaline, Moss is split to the left. Brady eyes the Safety cheating towards Moss, the ball is handed to Maroney. The Safety is a step late, TD.
  • Superbowl - Pats second last drive. Similar situation, this time Moss is to the right. Safety has to play the run and protect the CB, quick slant Moss is open. TD.

Just guessing on why the Patriots were #1 in this stat:
- they were likely inside the 10 more than any other team
- they may have had a lot of 1st and goal from the 1 (result of pass interference in the endzone)

Good stat but remember "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

Good stat but remember "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

It wouldn't surprise me if they led the nfl in pass attempts inside the 10 yard line as well.

they were likely inside the 10 more than any other team
Lacking any other info, I'd probably go with that.

The more amazing stat was some number I kept hearing around the middle of the season. It gave the likelihood of a team scoring a TD after taking possession from inside their own twenty. League wide it was something like 20 percent. The Pats were around 70% or so.

They were just off the charts.

I wish we would have ran the ball a bit more when we were outside the 10 yard line as well.

I wish we would have ran the ball a bit more when we were outside the 10 yard line as well.

For comparison. For the most prolific passing attack in NFL history they were only 42 attempts behind last years best rushing attack the Vikings. roughly 3 attempts a game.

Vikings had 494 rushing attempts
Chargers had 485
Patriots 451
Colts (last year) 446
Colts (04 there prolific passing year) 427

For comparison. For the most prolific passing attack in NFL history they were only 42 attempts behind last years best rushing attack the Vikings. roughly 3 attempts a game.

Vikings had 494 rushing attempts
Chargers had 485
Patriots 451
Colts (last year) 446
Colts (04 there prolific passing year) 427

I really can't see how that's true though. I mean, maybe I wasn't watching close enough, but most games I watched we passed 99.99% of the time. Like this thread states, the only time I saw us rush is when we were on the goal line.

Lacking any other info, I'd probably go with that.

The more amazing stat was some number I kept hearing around the middle of the season. It gave the likelihood of a team scoring a TD after taking possession from inside their own twenty. League wide it was something like 20 percent. The Pats were around 70% or so.

They were just off the charts.

If I remember that stat we did the worst when taking our ball at around our own 40. Something that puzzled me. I would like that explained by someone who knows..

I really can't see how that's true though. I mean, maybe I wasn't watching close enough, but most games I watched we passed 99.99% of the time. Like this thread states, the only time I saw us rush is when we were on the goal line.

Spent a lot of time on offense? We need rushing, passing and total to get the full picture. But my subjective memory is that the Pats were a lot less "pass happy" than you suggest. Of course, we remember the spectacular passes more clearly than the two, three, four yard runs.

Spent a lot of time on offense? We need rushing, passing and total to get the full picture. But my subjective memory is that the Pats were a lot less "pass happy" than you suggest. Of course, we remember the spectacular passes more clearly than the two, three, four yard runs.

I wasn't denying that it was true. Just simply stating that I can't believe it's true since, in the games I watched (most of them), our attack was mostly the pass.

I wasn't denying that it was true. Just simply stating that I can't believe it's true since, in the games I watched (most of them), our attack was mostly the pass.

now that I proved my point I can rip it down a bit. As I imagine the numbers are a little inflated by late game runs. A little not as much as kontradiction expected though

for example Eckel had 33 carries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes