Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Re: Pats Super Bowl Inactives

Troy! WHY??!?!

Troy! WHY??!?!
He's not needed - fortunately or unfortunately depending how you look at it. We just happened to stay healthy at WR this year.

Re: Inactives?

That's crushing. Would have liked to see Brown on the field for a few plays. I trust that BB would have made it so if he saw value in having him out there.

Looks like we saw Troy Brown’s last action on the field during the Miami game.

Thanks for the memories, you’re still getting that 19-0 ring and will forever be a part of the perfect team! :rocker:

Last edited:

D@mn! I wanted to see Troy get at least one play in. :(

We love you Troy, and we always will....

Bingo...

No Spoch which is interesting.... no 3 TE set.... maybe add another tackle instead of the 3rd TE.

we all knew troy was going to be inactive. it's along game and you can't risk not having enough depth on the d-line particularly if they go to a 4man line.

No Spach + No Britt = No 3TE Sets.
Watson and Kyle Brady are the first two TEs. Who would be the third TE? Evans? O'Callaghan?

You beat me to it, MrBigglesworth.

Last edited:
Re: Inactives?

That's crushing. Would have liked to see Brown on the field for a few plays. I trust that BB would have made it so if he saw value in having him out there.

Sad reality is... we've got a bunch of guys better now. Thank you for everything Troy, I so wanted to see you break one tonight but the memories will remain. When the Pats HOF is finished in Foxboro, your place is secure.

No Spoch which is interesting.... no 3 TE set.... maybe add another tackle instead of the 3rd TE.

we all knew troy was going to be inactive. it's along game and you can't risk not having enough depth on the d-line particularly if they go to a 4man line.

That was my first thought too, 3 TE sets?

I figure this means they are gonna come out throwing, but who knows.

Don't forget Vrabel is TE #3.

no chad jackson either....are they trying to avoid another injury so that the kid can finally take part in training camp?

also, i thought spoch did well....hmmmm....

and thomas aint playing either, so.....

its interesting

Here's how the inactives were listed on the injury report:

WR - Troy Brown
-none-

WR - Chad Jackson
-none-

OG/C - Billy Yates
-none-

OT - Wesley Britt
-none-

CB - Antwain Spann
-none-

TE - Stephen Spach
-none-

DE - Santonio Thomas
-none-

3rd QB - Matt Gutierrez
-none-

And the active players on the injury report:

PROBABLE
QB - Tom Brady (Right Shoulder)***

* = did not participate in practice
** = limited participation in practice
*** = full participation in practice

Tonight's Expected Depth Chart:

QB - Brady
QB - Cassel
3rd QB - Gutierrez

RB - Maroney
RB - Faulk
FB - Evans
FB - Eckel

TE - Watson
TE - K. Brady

WR - Moss
WR - Stallworth
WR - Welker

WR - Gaffney
WR - Washington

LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

OG/C - Hochstein
OT - O'Callaghan

LE - Warren
NT - Wilfork
RE - Seymour

DE - Green
NT - Moore
NT - Smith

LOLB - Vrabel
SILB - Seau
WILB - Bruschi
ROLB - A. Thomas

OLB - Woods
ILB - Izzo
ILB - Alexander

CB - Samuel
CB - Hobbs
FS - Sanders
SS - Harrison

CB - Gay
S - Wilson
DB - Meriweather
DB - Andrews
S - Ventrone

K - Gostkowski
P - Hanson
LS - Paxton

Last edited:

I don't think a 3 TE set will be neccassary during this game. The Chargers LB's are both good in coverage and against the run. The Giants LB's are not all that great in coverage, so I don't think they will slow the passing game down like SD did. Not to mention the better weather and a seemingly healthy Brady.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/inactive_analys_41.html

Inactive analysis
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 3, 2008 05:00 PM

Analysis from the Patriots’ inactive players:

-With both Troy Brown and Chad Jackson inactive, the Patriots enter with the standard five receivers. The first question is whether this means Brown’s career is over. He is a free agent after the year and this ends his 15th, and perhaps final, season with the Patriots. With Jackson inactive, that takes a kickoff returner out of the mix and makes it more likely that Ellis Hobbs and/or Laurence Maroney will see the bulk of duties in that area.

-With offensive linemen Wesley Britt and Billy Yates inactive, the Patriots have their standard seven linemen active. Stephen Neal (starting right guard) and Nick Kaczur (starting right tackle) did not play against the Giants in the season finale, but they’re back tonight. That leaves Russ Hochstein as the top interior backup and Ryan O’Callaghan the top tackle backup.

-With defensive lineman Santonio Thomas inactive, the Patriots enter with six linemen, which is one more than the norm. This could be specific to the red-zone, which was a key area in the season finale, and the Patriots looking to bolster their goal-line package. One natural question is why the Patriots decided to promote Thomas to the active roster if they planned to deactivate him. It was likely they were rewarding him for a season’s worth of behind-the-scenes contributions. Thomas was making a full salary on the practice squad anyway.

-With tight end Stephen Spach inactive, the Patriots enter with just two pure tight ends in Benjamin Watson and Kyle Brady. Against the Chargers in the AFC Championship, the Patriots had success with a pure three-TE package, but that won’t be an option tonight.

-With cornerback Antwain Spann inactive, the Patriots go without a player whose primary contributions came on special teams.

There will be 3 TE sets, with Hochstein or O'Callaghan on short yardage run downs and Vrabel in the red zone.

Is Eugene Wilson active?

Would have liked to see Bingo lead them out of the tunnel one more time...

Is Eugene Wilson active?

yep..but behind Sanders/Harrison/Meriweather @ Safety and sub packages :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back