PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Inactives: Light, Taylor, Morris, Edelman, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Brace, Wheatley

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
New England Patriots (realpatriots) on Twitter

Today's inactives are Edelman, Taylor, Wheatley, Morris, Ohrnberger, Simmons, Light and Brace.

Here's how the inactives were listed on the injury report:

OT - Matt Light
OUT - Knee*

RB - Fred Taylor
OUT - Ankle*

RB - Sammy Morris
OUT - Knee*

WR - Julian Edelman
OUT - Forearm*

OG - Kendall Simmons
-none-

DT - Ron Brace
-none-

CB - Terrence Wheatley
-none-

OG/C - Rich Ohrnberger
-none-

And the active players on the injury report:

QUESTIONABLE
CB - Darius Butler (Ankle)**
OG/C - Dan Connolly (Knee)**
CB - Shawn Springs (Knee)**

PROBABLE
QB - Tom Brady (Right Shoulder)***
S - Brandon Meriweather (Foot)**
WR - Randy Moss (Shoulder)***
S - James Sanders (Shoulder)**

* = did not participate in practice
** = limited participation in practice
*** = full participation in practice

Today's Expected Depth Chart:

QB - Brady
QB - Hoyer

RB - Maroney
RB - Faulk
RB - Green-Ellis

TE - Baker
TE - Watson

WR - Moss
WR - Welker
WR - Aiken

WR - Tate

LT - Vollmer
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

OT - LeVoir
OG/C - Connolly

LE - Warren
NT - Wilfork
RE - Green

DT - Wright
DE - Banta-Cain
DT - Pryor

LOLB - Burgess
SILB - Mayo
WILB - Guyton
ROLB - Thomas

OLB - Woods
ILB - Seau
OLB - Ninkovich
ILB - Alexander

LCB - Wilhite
RCB - Bodden
S - Meriweather
S - McGowan

S - Sanders
CB - Springs
CB - Butler
S - Chung
S - Slater
S - Lockett

K - Gostkowski
P - Hanson
LS - Ingram

Last edited:
Re: Pats Inactives: Light, Taylor, Morris, Edelman, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Brace, Wheat

no surprises

Re: Pats Inactives: Light, Taylor, Morris, Edelman, Simmons, Ohrnberger, Brace, Wheat

Nice to see Thomas on there. It'll be interesting to see what effect last week will have on his play today.

No surprise at all...Great to see AD back..it's a big game for him...also good to see Sanders back in action..Tate..he's the man who could make a BIG impact!

Excited to see what kind of run Tate gets.
And man, the Pats really value depth on defense don't they. There are barely backups on the offensive side, yet they play 7 deep on the DL.

Also, I think having Sanders back is big. I know he's a favorite whipping boy, but having him enables McGowan to play that hybrid role where he was phenomenal earlier in the year.

no surprises

Apparently, Brace, Orhnberger and Wheatley are developmental players who will hear from next year.

It's a shame Wheatley isn't getting any playing time. I had high hopes for him after he seemed to be coming along nicely before his injury last year.

Of all of last year's draft class, I thought that Brace would make the biggest impact. But he has been clearly beaten out by both Pryor and Wright, and could not make the 45 man roster when they were playing a 4-3. As much as I have been pleasantly suprized by this draft class, Brace not being able to crack the 45 man roster, is a real head scratcher.

And man, the Pats really value depth on defense don't they. There are barely backups on the offensive side, yet they play 7 deep on the DL.

nice observation

An in-game injury on offense means your change your plan of attack. An in-game injury on defense makes the opponent attack it mercilessly, so you need that defensive depth more.

nice observation

An in-game injury on offense means your change your plan of attack. An in-game injury on defense makes the opponent attack it mercilessly, so you need that defensive depth more.

That and the apparent fact that defensive players get gassed after fewer snaps than offensive players, creating more need to rotate them.

Ron Brace - you WISH you were Pryor.

Question : How often does a NE player who is basically invisible in year one eventually make an impact ?

I know some people reference Warren as a player who played little at first. Wilfork was at least in the rotation and playing more as the season went on...

Last edited:

Of all of last year's draft class, I thought that Brace would make the biggest impact. But he has been clearly beaten out by both Pryor and Wright, and could not make the 45 man roster when they were playing a 4-3. As much as I have been pleasantly suprized by this draft class, Brace not being able to crack the 45 man roster, is a real head scratcher.

I would consider Brace this year's draft class, unless you consider 2009 to be last year.

No surprise at all...Great to see AD back..it's a big game for him...also good to see Sanders back in action..Tate..he's the man who could make a BIG impact!

Unless he's an anomaly, the only impact he could make is in the return game. It's rare for rookie WR to make an impact. Add this to the complexity of our offensive system and the fact that he missed all of training camp, I don't see Tate making an impact as a receiver.

Hope i'm wrong!

The fact Tate got the nod over Nunn to me says he will take a big part in the return game, but not so much in the receiving game. We could be running the ball a lot this game.

I haven't watched the second half yet, but a couple thoughts as a result of the earlier posts:

- Sanders showed up on Special Teams coverage, but BB obviously took the chance to develop Chung against a weaker QB/WR corps. This will be important against the Fishy's Wildcat as Chung's speed and tackling will complement Meriweather and McGowan's speed game. Sanders is a very good Safety, but the new speed back there has clearly jumped the secondary ahead an extra notch.

- It says a lot for Wilhite and Butler that Wheatley continues to be inactive. I like the CB depth this season.

- Brace apparently needs to continue to develop his technique, I'd also expect they are taking this time to work on his conditioning and explosiveness. BB was specific about how well Pryor was developed in college by his D-line coach and he's taken advantage of the good fortune he had finding Pryor still available in the sixth round to take his time with Brace. I think the 4-3 priority has also hurt Brace since he was not an explosive player in college - which goes back to why I feel they are pleased to have the time to work on his conditioning.

I haven't watched the second half yet, but a couple thoughts as a result of the earlier posts:

- Sanders showed up on Special Teams coverage, but BB obviously took the chance to develop Chung against a weaker QB/WR corps. This will be important against the Fishy's Wildcat as Chung's speed and tackling will complement Meriweather and McGowan's speed game. Sanders is a very good Safety, but the new speed back there has clearly jumped the secondary ahead an extra notch..

I was just thinking exactly that. I don't think we will have trouble with the wildcat. I see a lot of nickel and dime coming up.

Belichick 2009 is not Belichick of past years. As described in "Education of a Coach" he's always learning, adapting and evolving his approach. My take on Asante, et. al. is that he finally realized that his aging playmakers weren't going to be able to get it done and a youth and speed movement, previously anathema to his approach was required. Asante the risk taking playmaker could have been a keeper but at well under the $6M which was way insufficient in Asante's view. Now we're seeing 2009 BB wisely making concerted efforts to work younguns into the lineup. Some are ready sooner than others. Prior vs Brace. Tate must have impressed the coaches with his rehab work ethic and unlike Chad Jackson's bogus assertions to the press Tate's claims to know the playbook seem valid given his albeit limited on field earlier than expected appearance Sunday. The Bucs were as Box stated an excellent opportunity to give not quite ready for prime time young players a shot at game speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back