PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats in top 5 in "committed cash" since 2000 @ $694 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Jones and Ventrone could turn out to suck. They have done nothing for this team.

Everyone just wants to forget about Kelley Washington, who I think is underrated as a WR. How much production do we really NEED out of the #4? I would guess most teams only get about 700-800 yards out of their #3, and that's on good passing teams.

#4 is probably only expected to produce about 300-400 yards, which is honestly a couple of catches per game. Washington should be able to handle that, especially with the other receivers taking the most attention.

I thought Stallworth was getting $10mil guaranteed on a seven year $35mil contract; that's a lot more than $2mil and way too much to be paying a player that would be the team's #4 WR.

Getting back to the original topic, will those that have accused Kraft of being cheap in the past now whine that he 'bought' the championships and is the Steinbrenner of the NFL?

" Unlike salary cap figures, committed cash includes all bonuses and incentives"

Nobody ever mention Kraft being "cheap" again, please.

I know I hate when people say that, obviously the furthest thing from the truth. Every thing Kraft does is first class, from this team to Patriot Place, and he knows you need to spend money to make money.

Cheap Bastards...

well, that's what Felger will say I assume.

tell this to felger
http://weei.com/Patriots-Mailbag--The-Truth-About-the-Toms--From-B/2902760
This is one of those years (2006 was another one), where the team just seemed to be dead-set against spending money. Every one of their free agents came at or near the veteran minimum, with the exception of John Lynch, who was cut last week because the team reportedly didn’t like his finances (a guaranteed $1.5 million salary if he’s on the Week 1 roster). The Pats are around $7 million under the cap, so they have the room. Yet Donte Stallworth (a cap charge of under $2 million in Cleveland this year) has been replaced by the likes of C.J. Jones, Sam Aiken and Ray Ventrone. What’s up with that?

So Felger is ignoring the money spent to retain a team's free agents (Moss, Paxton, Tedy, Gaffney, Izzo, Washington).

So Felger is ignoring the money spent to retain a team's free agents (Moss, Paxton, Tedy, Gaffney, Izzo, Washington).
I wouldn't expect anything but what he says...yes..I guess he is...

I actually think Stallworth is a great receiver. He just didn't fit the Patriots scheme. Moss gave us what we wanted from him. I think S-worth helps create opening in the middle for Welker because he is a deep threat. Which is why i wanted the Pats to keep Jackson. The only deep threat we have now is Mo$$.

By that 'deep threat' thinking the Pats shoulda kept Bethel Johnson who actually WAS a deep threat in real NFL games, not just in fanboys' minds. Unfortunately, he was not a capable NFL wideout either, so he's gone. Single dimension #4 or #5 wideouts are useless to this team unless their role on STs is mega. Sometimes even that is not enough.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect anything but what he says...yes..I guess he is...

That's cherry-picking, IMO.

But if we go with Felger's thinking he is then ignoring the amount of cash given to Welker and Adalius Thomas in their 2008 option bonuses (11.5 million total).

I thought Stallworth was getting $10mil guaranteed on a seven year $35mil contract; that's a lot more than $2mil and way too much to be paying a player that would be the team's #4 WR.

Getting back to the original topic, will those that have accused Kraft of being cheap in the past now whine that he 'bought' the championships and is the Steinbrenner of the NFL?

Don't hold your breath. Player money issues are relatively easy to get to the bottom of in a league with a hard cap. Those who have called the Patriots cheap were lazy, willfully ignorant or pushing an agenda. They aren't the sort who'll give a cheerful "My bad!".

The one thing that stands out among the top 5 is that the Patriots are the only multiple Superbowl winner. There's a reason why, they don't tend to be out of balance with salaries based on where a player is on the depth chart. Stallworth was a nice receiver last year, but with the contract he signed, his money would have jumped to a #1 or #2 this season. While he attracted a lot of attention from the opposing secondary, he was not a true possession receiver. It was a good move to let him go, and it's one of the reasons the Pats have been able to maintain their high quality of play since 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes