PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats in talks for deal with TE Daniel Fells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like they are going to sign the guy, per Adam Schefter's Twitter:

Tight end news: Pats closing in on deal with Rams free-agent TE Daniel Fells. Former Pats TE Benjamin Watson to visit Browns on Wednesday.

Would you guys be fine with Fells and someone like Moeaki or Hernandez? I just don't know what to expect for the TE position; last year we traded for Alex Smith and then cut him. We traded away Thomas, who had a nice season in NO and we cut Baker and are letting Watson go.

Would you guys be fine with Fells and someone like Moeaki or Hernandez? I just don't know what to expect for the TE position; last year we traded for Alex Smith and then cut him. We traded away Thomas, who had a nice season in NO and we cut Baker and are letting Watson go.

I would want Greg Olson at TE....

why dont the pats simply carry a couple of extra offensive tackles????

why dont the pats simply carry a couple of extra offensive tackles????

...and deplete what other position on the active roster? D-Line. Secondary?

Pats always cross-train an O-lineman or two with good athleticism to play the TE spot or in the backfield in short-yardage.

Last edited:
...and deplete what other position on the active roster? D-Line. Secondary?
I think he meant zero TE and 2-3 extra OL playing as blocking TE. Obviously, though, we still need some receiving ability in the TE even if they're primarily blockers.

I think Reiss had a blurb that they are bringing Moeaki in for a visit. One of Kirk Firenz kids and he's supposed to be a complete player, blocks and catches and most importantly hereabouts a clean route runner. Watson for all his intelligence and athleticism had a tough time putting it all together here. Had to overthink things to the point he couldn't execute consistently. Just wasn't purely instinctive enough.

Last edited:
I would think the Pats want a TE for primary blocking and a TE for ball catching skills
That worked in 2001. Wiggins could catch but not block. Rutledge could block but not catch to save his butt. Depending on who was in, Rutledge or Wiggins, it kinda telegraphed run or pass. The only way it worked was that with Brady that year, most of our passes were swing passes and screens that were glorified runs anyway.

I think the best way is to have TEs that are more or less interchangeable. They can be primarily blockers or primarily pass catchers, but the opposing D should not be able to read pass or run by something as simple as which TE is on the field.

That worked in 2001. Wiggins could catch but not block. Rutledge could block but not catch to save his butt. Depending on who was in, Rutledge or Wiggins, it kinda telegraphed run or pass. The only way it worked was that with Brady that year, most of our passes were swing passes and screens that were glorified runs anyway.

I think the best way is to have TEs that are more or less interchangeable. They can be primarily blockers or primarily pass catchers, but the opposing D should not be able to read pass or run by something as simple as which TE is on the field.

Bingo. And in this offense no TE is ever going to be primarily a pass catcher. That's one reason Thomas isn't here anymore. I'm impressed that Fells caught anything given the situation he was operating in. And Moeaki sounds like a complete TE which is what you ideally want here now as opposed to the elite athlete as passcatcher. First and foremost they gotta block and best case scenario they are instinctive and therefore seemless multi-taskers.

A Better Reciever than say Sam Aiken/ Isaiah Stanbeck

If you're looking to replace a receiver it's better to replace them with a receiver...If a TE can't block in this offense he's useless.

Who said the Patriots do not sign any big name free agents?

Daniel Fells will make Patriots Nation happy (LOL)

Hopefully they get crumpler as well. This seems somewhat...inadequate if this is it at the TE position.

Reiss just reported this in his column

Has anyone seen this guy play?

Sounds like a JAG but if Reiss is reporting a deal is in the works then I think the Crumpler visit didn't go well.

Was on IR in December and has not shown a thing...He is under contract with the Rams so I would figure a deal for a 7th round pick?

According to the NFL website, he was not amongst the players that the Rams gave an RFA tend to.

Players extended tender offers by their teams

wouldnt be surprised if hes cut by time the season starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill