PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats in/had discussion with Hartwell (per MetroWest Daily News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/x1313759400

"Next comes inside linebacker. Tedy Bruschi is the only player certain to play full-time there with Mike Vrabel and Thomas having the versatility to move over and the gutsy veteran isn't quite what he once was.

There are options there. Veteran Edgerton Hartwell has had preliminary talks with the team, is willing to come in on a one-year deal and has the size and 3-4 experience to make it work, so long as he stays healthy.

Hartwell (still just 28) could provide at least an early-down stopgap, if a rookie's drafted somewhere. That rookie, in fact, could well be Ole Miss' Patrick Willis with the 24th pick. But whoever it may be, if there is someone, would probably need to be eased into a very difficult position for a young player to take on."

If this were to happen, my offseason would be pretty much complete.

Didn't realize Hartwell was only 28. If he's healthy, I'm not sure why they haven't signed him ALREADY.

An one year deal for Hartwell would be spectacular. Before he signed with Atlanta, I was hoping the Pats would have made a run at him. His injuries make him a risk, but he finished the year fairly well last year.

Hopefully, it is a deal like Stallworth and Washington where it is a multiyear deal which is an one year deal with an option for more. Hartwell if he can return to form can be a monster in the middle.

Didn't realize Hartwell was only 28.

Me neither. He's still young enough to become a top-flight LB again, especially in this system.

One more post so I'm not stuck on the Number of the Beast.

Last edited:
It's why I've loved the Hartwell idea all along, despite the Pats' understandably mixed track record with veteran reclamation projects.

I'd go for Hartwell if we use a high pick on a LB. (If we got Willis at 24 I'd die.)

Yea, and as I mentioned in another thread he seemed to be getting back to his pre-injury form at the end of '06. In week 16 he had something like 12 tackles, and in week 17 he had 7 tackles, with 1 forced fumble. I have liked the idea of signing him since it was first rumored.

Last edited:
I'd go for Hartwell if we use a high pick on a LB. (If we got Willis at 24 I'd die.)

So would I buddy, so would I....In a good way though :D

Last edited:

I'd say that it is independent of each other. Ideally, Hartwell would be more like Roman Phifer than Chad Brown and become a fixture inside for the next three to four years. Bruschi is most likely done after this season and if we drafted someone high, he would more likely be replacing Bruschi in 2008.

Besides, Hartwell is more of a Ted Johnson type of player in that he is best suited to only play 1st and 2nd down to defend the run than an every down player. If we draft a LB high, he can rotate with Hartwell and Bruschi this year and then become a full-time starter next year when he has learned the ropes. Hopefully, Hartwell would work out if we sign him and we sign him long term and add another rotational guy in 2008.

Your first mission, Mr. Thomas, if you choose to accept it...

...is to talk your former teammate into joining the Patriots.

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Oh not really.

PFnV

Thomas
Colvin
Vrabel
Bruschi
Seau?
Hartwell?
Willis?

I'm having a hard time holding back the drool.

I'd say that it is independent of each other. Ideally, Hartwell would be more like Roman Phifer than Chad Brown and become a fixture inside for the next three to four years. Bruschi is most likely done after this season and if we drafted someone high, he would more likely be replacing Bruschi in 2008.

Besides, Hartwell is more of a Ted Johnson type of player in that he is best suited to only play 1st and 2nd down to defend the run than an every down player. If we draft a LB high, he can rotate with Hartwell and Bruschi this year and then become a full-time starter next year when he has learned the ropes. Hopefully, Hartwell would work out if we sign him and we sign him long term and add another rotational guy in 2008.

Willis would be the Bruschi replacement. Signing Hartwell would allow Willis to sit behind Bruschi and learn, instead of being thrown into a position he shouldn't.

My point was that I didn't want this possible signing to be viewed as a long term answer. But Bruschi and Hartwell with a young guy behind them would be mighty appetizing. I would be very happy if Vrabes could play primarily outside.

Your first mission, Mr. Thomas, if you choose to accept it...

...is to talk your former teammate into joining the Patriots.

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Oh not really.

PFnV
\

Thats pretty good I like that go ahead and take the place of Ethan Hunt for MI4.

\

Thats pretty good I like that go ahead and take the place of Ethan Hunt for MI4.

Emagine AD in that role?

Oh, and it shouldn't be to hard convincing Hartwell since he was rumored to be interested in NE himself.

The problem is that there is question about whether or not Hartwell can pass a physical.

Thomas
Colvin
Vrabel
Bruschi
Seau?
Hartwell?
Willis?

I'm having a hard time holding back the drool.

Look at that list:rocker: Good God.

I wonder if the Pats are interested in signing Hartwell to a one-year deal?

If this news is accurate insofar as their is interest on both sides, I imagine the holdup is over whether this is a one or three year incentive-laden contract; from the Pats perspective, what's the point of nursing along a wounded vet and training him in "our" 3-4 when he's just going to leave a hole on the roster in a year?

The exceptions in the 3-4 era have been Seau and a bunch of ST linebackers. Wes Mallard, Barry Gardner, etc.

However, there's probably enough 3-4 teams interested in a guard-banger for Hartwell to have some leverage here. We have the dough, so I hope we get him for multiple years on a moderate contract, instead of some bargain-basement one-year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes